• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My After Effects CC 2014 and 2015 can't import .obj files. What's up wit dat?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My After Effects CC 2014 and 2015 can't import .obj files.  What's up wit dat?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

After Effects has never been able to import such files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects has never been able to import such files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I just bought Trapcode Form for After Effects and they said that I could import .obj files.  Did I missread something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trapcode Form can use OBJ files. Trapcode Form is a plugin. After Effects by itself can't use OBJ files. After Effects also ships with Cinema 4D Lite included. It also can use OBJ files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Okay.  Well how do tell Trapcode form to make a particley shape out of what ever I make in C4D lite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trapcode, when installed correctly, should also include a .obj importer which would allow you to import them into your project.  If it wasn't installed properly, you can try to manually place the .obj importer in the proper location on your computer.  It should go in the same place that the other various format importers are located.  Also note that not all versions of Trapcode Form feature .obj importing.  I believe it was a feature added to Form in version 2.0 or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2.0.7

It should work then, no?  I have a plugin called TrapcodeOBJ.plugin and it is located in:

/Applications/Adobe After Effects CC/Plug-ins/Format/Trapcode

Is that the right location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine appears to be located in the MediaCore folder for CC.  I am able to import an .obj just as though I'm importing any other acceptable format, and then place the .obj in the comp with Form and reference the layer as my .obj.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha!  I got it working!  I got it working!  I got it working!  For some reason, After Effects CC created a redundant After Effects plugins and Presets folder and put the TrapcodeOBJ.plugin in that!  I took it and put it directly into the real "Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2015/Plug-ins/Format" folder and it worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Justin! Saved my day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank's friend! It helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, where can I find the TrapcodeOBJ.plugin and where are these redundant plugin and presets folders located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem. Upon install, Trapcode created a folder called After Effects CC in my applications folder additional to the original one. it should be easy to spot, and only containing the import obj plugin. simply move it to the original Plugins - Format folder and you should be good to go. If not i would try to reinstall the suite or plugin and see if it works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines