• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I delete installation file?

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is odd, and I'm probably just missing something obvious, but I downloaded "flashplayer20_ha_install" and finished the installation. Now I would like to delete the file, as it is no longer necessary. This seems to be impossible.

I get an error message "File can't be deleted because it is open in Adobe Download Manager". Fine. When I search for exactly where to find Adobe Download Manager, I am told that it is no longer used for flash player installation. So how do I get rid of the file???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

That is odd.  On Windows, the online installer file automatically self-deletes when the installation completes, regardless if it was successful or not. In your case, it appears that something (i.e. some process) is continuing to use the installer after it completes.  When you try to delete the file and get the error that it is in use, please do the following:

1. Open Task Manager
    • You can right-click on the Window icon in the lower left to display a menu, or type 'Task Manager' in the Search field
  2. Righ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Installing Flash Player‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What operating system, and version, is this on?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 and I installed, I'm guessing, the latest flash player. It shows as: NPAPI Plug-in Version: 20.0.0.306.

I normally use Chrome, which has a built in Flash Player, but for some applications, we need use Firefox, so need the NPAPI version. It seems to have installed fine, which is why I didn't think it was an installation issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is odd.  On Windows, the online installer file automatically self-deletes when the installation completes, regardless if it was successful or not. In your case, it appears that something (i.e. some process) is continuing to use the installer after it completes.  When you try to delete the file and get the error that it is in use, please do the following:

1. Open Task Manager
    • You can right-click on the Window icon in the lower left to display a menu, or type 'Task Manager' in the Search field
  2. Right-click on Task Manager and select 'Run as administrator'
  3. In the Processes tab look for 'Adobe Download Manager' process.  If it's there, right-click and select 'End task'
  4. Go to the 'Users' tab and look for 'Adobe Download Manager' process.  If it's there, right-click and select 'End task'
  5. Go to 'Details' tab and look for 'flashplayer20_ha_install.exe. If it's there, right-click and select 'End task'

Please post back whether or not one of the above option worked.  If it did not work (the process was not listed in any of those tabs) I'll need to escalate to the team that handles the online installer/Adobe Download Manager.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Download Manager is not in either the Processes or Users tabs. The closest is Adobe Acrobat Update Service, which is not at all to do with Flash IMO. I did restart my computer again, just in case, but no help there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, odd thing. I restarted the computer as I stated in my previous reply, and I still got the error message. After trying your suggestions, I could find no mention of Adobe Download Manager anywhere in the tabs, or even mention of Flash Player. I went back to delete the installation file, to properly copy the error message (I can't remember where I saved it and too lazy to search) and it deleted no problem! I've been trying for 3 days!!!

Not sure if going into task manager shook something loose in a manner of speaking, but this was only a maximum of 10 minutes apart and I did nothing after rebooting computer and attempting to delete the file again except: follow your directions and post reply, look for the saved file a bit, then try deleting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the update.

If it happens again please take a screenshot (see How to post a screenshot in the forum) and post back to this thread.  I'll receive an email notification and follow-up on the issue.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines