• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I turn off ligatures in an entire document?

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that I can turn off ligatures in a story or in a paragraph style, but is there a way to universally turn off ligatures?

Please & Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

I use this script (made by Kasyan Servetsky)

var myDoc = app.activeDocument;

var myParStyles = myDoc.allParagraphStyles;

for (i = 1; i < myParStyles.length; i++) {

myParStyles.ligatures = false;

myParStyles.hyphenation = false;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had to do it I would select the whole text (assuming your document is threaded) and turn off ligatures. I'm guessing it also can be done  with a script. We'll see if somebody else here has more ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change your paragraph styles and turn off the ligatures there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this script (made by Kasyan Servetsky)

var myParStyles = myDoc.allParagraphStyles;

for (i = 1; i < myParStyles.length; i++) {

myParStyles.ligatures = false;

myParStyles.hyphenation = false;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just had an interesting chat with an "Adobe" representative and asked where I turned off the ligatures and it went thusly...

Abhishek: basic character format

Abhishek: -> uncheck ligatures ->ok

Abhishek: You are not following the steps I have mentioned above

Andrew Croft: Your file was successfully uploaded: Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 3.43.19 PM.png.

Andrew Croft: I did that too and I am telling you it is not there - see the attached screen shot

Andrew Croft: so please show me where it is on the screen I have provided

Andrew Croft: I do not see it anywhere within the style options, this is what I have been saying

Abhishek: let me check again.

Abhishek: Well, in Ai there is no way to disable ligature

is this guy for real?

so, even under "Type" menu -> "Smart Punctuation" there is the option to turn it off - AND THIS DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. AT ALL PERIOD.

What the hell is Adobe doing to Illustrator? Since they put us on subscriptions and shipped all of the programming to a third world country the apps have become virtually useless - there are so many issues in the InDesign Pre-Release discussion group it is just not funny.

What the hell is Adobe doing?

And how can I remove the ligatures from my package design that I have to get out in one hour??????????????????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign does not exist any basic character style. Only paragraph styles have a basic paragraph style.

Change it in the paragraph styles. If you did them correctly, it is a single click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and.... ok... my original post was about Illustrator - so this helps me how exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Posting in the InDesign forum, under an existing InDesign question, will give you an InDesign answer.

Perhaps you posted in the wrong forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, you are right... sorry I got this link when checking "Illustrator ligatures" so my bad on the Google search

but apparently, Adobe says you cannot even turn them off in Illustrator - complete disaster

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, clearly this Help Desk ≠ Adobe – and they don't have a clue what they are talking about. (You may want to mention this in the Illustrator forum at Illustrator.)

This is a quick screenshot from Illustrator CS4:

ill-ligatures.PNG

and checking the online help, I find it is available in newer versions as well (i.e., no "useful features have been removed" syndrome): How to work with special characters in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good! It worked. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe says you cannot even turn them off in Illustrator - complete disaster

In Illustrator only Open Type fonts have a ligature on/off setting, which is what Jongware is showing. With other type formats you would have to manually set the ligature from the glyphs panel or use the Smart punctuation search. Smart Punctuation doesn't work for otf fonts.

So if your font is .otf then you'll have to make the change from your style sheets, or if you don't have the text styled, select all of the text and turn them off from the Open Type panel.

In both ID and AI ligatures are a character level attribute—there's never been an application or document level on/off. InDesign has a ligature on/off setting for all type formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jongware, rob,

I got a short extension on the package - but embarrassingly so - and tried it again this morning.

The type *is* styled.

The font is Myriad Pro - so it *is* an OTF font.

Why Illustrator would have a global type application - Type->Smart Punctuation... and a separate OTF application is mind-boggling.

I get that OTF fonts bring with them a much wider range of glyphs, but the option to have or not have ligatures is a basic one.

Even though I tried turning that off and on yesterday, didn't work... but worked this morning. Totally mind-blowing. One word holds up a package that has been in the works since October.

I won't hold up the InDesign forum any longer - thanks for your input even though I posted in the wrong forum - but what is Adobe doing to their apps? I have a filed dozens of bug reports in the past two years because clearly their applications are falling apart under the weight of technology. Very unhappy with the quality in the past two years.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the option to have or not have ligatures is a basic one.

Ligatures can't be a global setting. They are similar to hyphenation or language, there could be cases within the document's texts where you want a mix of on or off—on in serif body text and off in a sans serif headline. Setting styled, .otf text you never really had a problem, you can turn ligatures on or off from the style sheets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble getting the script to work. I'm using version 17.4.1. The script editor shows the error- Syntax Error- An indentifier can't go after this identifer. Any comments, suggestions in modifing the .scpt file would be apprecieated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @HHolland , All of the scripts in this thread are JavaScripts so the extension needs to be .jsx not .scpt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can also just type the two letters separately and add a space between scaled at 1%. The result is not so bad.
Still, you have to edit every single word.
I did that instead of using the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script in the 'correct' answer has a mistake which prevents it from working.

Here's a corrected version in case someone is interested:

var scriptName = "Turn off ligatures and hyphenation",
doc;

app.doScript(PreCheck, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "\"" + scriptName + "\" script");

function Main() {
	var doc = app.activeDocument;
	var allParagraphStyles = doc.allParagraphStyles;

for (i = 1; i < allParagraphStyles.length; i++) {
		allParagraphStyles[i].ligatures = false;
		allParagraphStyles[i].hyphenation = false;
	}
}

function PreCheck() {
	if (app.documents.length == 0) ErrorExit("Please open a document and try again.", true);
	doc = app.activeDocument;
	if (doc.converted) ErrorExit("The current document has been modified by being converted from older version of InDesign. Please save the document and try again.", true);
	if (!doc.saved) ErrorExit("The current document has not been saved since it was created. Please save the document and try again.", true);
	Main();
}

function ErrorExit(error, icon) {
	alert(error, scriptName, icon);
	exit();
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kasyan,

Thanks a lot for devoting your time and sharing your codes with us. Would you mind asking the difference between the two scripts, except the Precheck and Undo options (just for my knowledge). I think the main code is still the same.

I tried to tweak your code and added a few more lines to it. To my experience, the code is working fine for me. Here is the code, I'm using.

var myParaStyles = myDoc.allParagraphStyles;
var myCharStyles = myDoc.allCharacterStyles;
for (i = 1; i < myCharStyles.length; i++) {
         myCharStyles[i].ligatures = true;
         myCharStyles[i].ligatures = false;
}
for (i = 1; i < myParaStyles.length; i++) {
         myParaStyles[i].ligatures = true;
         myParaStyles[i].hyphenation = true;
         myParaStyles[i].ligatures = false;
         myParaStyles[i].hyphenation = false;
}
alert("Ligatures and Hyphenation has been turned OFF!");

In addition to this, would it possible to add some more lines to do the following:

1) Turn On "Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer"

2) Set the Kerning to "Metrics"

I want all the four settings to be applied to all the text in each and every frame in an active document (without selecting anything). The other two settings, Ligature, and Hyphenation to be OFF are working fine.

Thanks,

Masood

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Masood, your code might not get all of the document text—there code be text with no Paragraph or Character Style applied. Maybe something like this:

var myParaStyles = myDoc.allParagraphStyles;
var myCharStyles = myDoc.allCharacterStyles;
var allText= app.activeDocument.textFrames;

for (i = 1; i < myCharStyles.length; i++) {
         myCharStyles[i].ligatures = false;
         myCharStyles[i].kerningMethod = "Metrics";
}
for (j = 1; j < myParaStyles.length; j++) {
         myParaStyles[j].ligatures = false;
         myParaStyles[j].hyphenation = false;
         myParaStyles[j].kerningMethod = "Metrics";
         myParaStyles[j].composer = "Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer";
}

for (var k = 0; k < allText.length; k++){
    allText[k].parentStory.ligatures = false;
    allText[k].parentStory.hyphenation = false;
};   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very easy with a find/change command.

In Find/Change> Find Format>Basic Paragraph tick the ligatures box.

In the Change Format>Basic Paragraph untick the ligatures box. 

Then save the Find/Change so you can run it easily.

This is also a very good way to replace a language (say the document has been built in US English but you want to spell check in UK English) or you want to remove hyphenation from all paragraph style.

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 3.31.30 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines