14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 3:31 AM by Interstella 5555

    Exported fireworks loops too quickly

    rebasue Level 1
      I've used Fireworks to create several frames holding images and set the timings to be observed during the frames. Have tried exporting this to animated gif, swf and png and then inserted these resutling files into my dreamweaver page. The animation works correctly when viewing on my C drive, but once ftp'd to my site and viewing with a browser, the looping is too fast. No settings i've made seems to slow down the animation. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

      thanks......becky
        • 1. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
          Level 7
          I can think of three reasons why you are not seeing any changes in the
          frame rate of your animated gif.

          1. The changes you are making are too small to be noticed - remember
          that these are measured in 100's of a second. So going from 7 (the
          default)to 10 probably won't be very noticeable.
          2. You are not uploading the changed file (probably not a problem here)
          3. You are not refreshing the browser so it is still showing you the
          image it has cashed. I think I remember this happening to me once.

          Maybe one other one: Make sure the Optimize Panel (F6) shows Animated
          GIF in the Export File Format drop down.

          alex

          rebasue wrote:
          > I've used Fireworks to create several frames holding images and set the timings
          > to be observed during the frames. Have tried exporting this to animated gif,
          > swf and png and then inserted these resutling files into my dreamweaver page.
          > The animation works correctly when viewing on my C drive, but once ftp'd to my
          > site and viewing with a browser, the looping is too fast. No settings i've made
          > seems to slow down the animation. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
          >
          > thanks......becky
          >
          • 2. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
            rebasue Level 1
            Thanks Alex....but I don't think I'm guilty of any of the 3 you mentioned.

            Here is the page which is flipping too quickly in Firefox and Internet Explorer: http://www.acrossmyheart.com/joe.html

            I think I have the frame speed set to 300/100 sec because the help files said that would display each frame for about a second?
            and this page doesn't loop at all in Firefox or Internet Explorer: http://www.acrossmyheart.com/zip.html

            I have tried pasting in the HTML code from inside Dreamweaver using the Insert....Fireworks HTML route.

            I have tried inserting an image object and grabbing the swf file

            AND I've tried inserting.....image and grabbing the animated gif.

            Clearly I am missing something along the way. Which of the above 3 insertions is correct? HTML, SWF or animated gif?

            becky
            • 3. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
              Level 7
              Hi Becky:

              They are photographic images - and relatively large dimensions - so GIF
              may not be the best option to begin with, as GIF's reduce the color
              palette and are affected by image dimensions (bigger files).

              I'm not a Flash person, but inserting jpegs into a flash movie would
              give you better quality and I would think, more control.

              Both pages transistioned for me - although yes - incredibly fast. But I
              think this ahs got to do with the timeline in flash, as both sample
              pages are flash movies. I do not know if any frame delay settigns you
              use in an animated GIF file will be directly read or understood by Flash.

              If you want to stick with GIFS, also check to make sure that ALL the
              frames are selected before you input the timing. It's possible that you
              only applied the frame delay to one frame, rather than all of them.

              If a slide show is what you're looking for, have you tried out Alan
              Musselman's Fireworks Album Creator extension?

              http://weblogs.macromedia.com/amusselman/archives/custom_commandsmxps/index.cfm

              Hope this helps!

              Jim Babbage

              rebasue wrote:
              > Thanks Alex....but I don't think I'm guilty of any of the 3 you mentioned.
              >
              > Here is the page which is flipping too quickly in Firefox and Internet
              > Explorer: http://www.acrossmyheart.com/joe.html
              >
              > I think I have the frame speed set to 300/100 sec because the help files said
              > that would display each frame for about a second?
              > and this page doesn't loop at all in Firefox or Internet Explorer:
              > http://www.acrossmyheart.com/zip.html
              >
              > I have tried pasting in the HTML code from inside Dreamweaver using the
              > Insert....Fireworks HTML route.
              >
              > I have tried inserting an image object and grabbing the swf file
              >
              > AND I've tried inserting.....image and grabbing the animated gif.
              >
              > Clearly I am missing something along the way. Which of the above 3 insertions
              > is correct? HTML, SWF or animated gif?
              >
              > becky
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                Level 7
                Like Jim said. You are creating a Flash animation. Frame rates in Flash
                are not the same as Frame *delay* created in an animated gif in
                Fireworks. In Flash the higher the frame rate the faster the animation -
                up to a point. At 30 frames per second the human eye sees the animation
                as smooth or fluid. In Fireworks Frame Delay will control how long each
                frame stays visible before moving on to the next frame.

                One way in Flash would be to import the images to the stage in one
                operation and distribute to layers. It would then be a matter of
                animating each layer and controlling the time with the overall frame
                rate of the movie and how many frames each image controls.

                In Fireworks import the images to the stage, distribute to Frames,
                select all the frames and change the value to control how long each
                frame displays.

                Since you are dealing with images it would be counter productive to
                create a gif, animated or not, of them. The quality of the images would
                suffer.

                Jim has some good advise about Alan's extension.

                alex

                rebasue wrote:
                > Thanks Alex....but I don't think I'm guilty of any of the 3 you mentioned.
                >
                > Here is the page which is flipping too quickly in Firefox and Internet
                > Explorer: http://www.acrossmyheart.com/joe.html
                >
                > I think I have the frame speed set to 300/100 sec because the help files said
                > that would display each frame for about a second?
                > and this page doesn't loop at all in Firefox or Internet Explorer:
                > http://www.acrossmyheart.com/zip.html
                >
                > I have tried pasting in the HTML code from inside Dreamweaver using the
                > Insert....Fireworks HTML route.
                >
                > I have tried inserting an image object and grabbing the swf file
                >
                > AND I've tried inserting.....image and grabbing the animated gif.
                >
                > Clearly I am missing something along the way. Which of the above 3 insertions
                > is correct? HTML, SWF or animated gif?
                >
                > becky
                >
                >
                • 5. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                  Level 7
                  rebasue wrote:
                  > I've used Fireworks to create several frames holding images and set the timings
                  > to be observed during the frames. Have tried exporting this to animated gif,
                  > swf and png and then inserted these resutling files into my dreamweaver page.
                  > The animation works correctly when viewing on my C drive, but once ftp'd to my
                  > site and viewing with a browser, the looping is too fast. No settings i've made
                  > seems to slow down the animation. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

                  When you choose to export from Fireworks in SWF format, FW discards the
                  animation settings but offers you a means of setting up the SWF export
                  options.

                  In the Save As dialog box that pops up after you have chosen to export
                  in SWF format, there is an Options button. Click on that. Set the Frames
                  per second rate to 1.

                  --
                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.projectseven.com
                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                  Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  • 6. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                    rebasue Level 1
                    I was just about to reply and say I was way over my head in even trying to use forum! I downloaded the album creator that Jim suggested but then didn't know how to load the album/code/? into my dreamweaver page. I didn't know what Alex was talking about as far as stages and Fireworks. I've not even begun to work with Flash and so know nothing about it, and even though the export feature within Firewors, created a Flash document, I was unable to manipulate it at all when I opened it with Flash - ie. so no way to alter the timings.

                    BUT Linda....your suggestion worked. It slowed down the looping. I hadn't looked at the options button before.
                    Now....for a new set of questions:

                    1)is there any way to slow down the looping further? I set it to your suggested 1 frame/second, but wondering if there's some mathetmatical setting to configure it even slower.

                    2) is there any way to get a photo to display while the loop is loading? When i view my page now in either browser, I get a huge white square displayed while the background looping is going on.

                    Jim, Alex, Linda....thank you for your time and expertise; You have pointed me to new directions and resources and I'm grateful. Here's one of th links again if you want to see what I am asking about: http://www.acrossmyheart.com/joe.html

                    Becky
                    • 7. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                      Level 7
                      Becky,

                      What is your email address? I will send you a Flash file that you can
                      change yourself.

                      alex

                      rebasue wrote:
                      > I was just about to reply and say I was way over my head in even trying to use
                      > forum! I downloaded the album creator that Jim suggested but then didn't know
                      > how to load the album/code/? into my dreamweaver page. I didn't know what Alex
                      > was talking about as far as stages and Fireworks. I've not even begun to work
                      > with Flash and so know nothing about it, and even though the export feature
                      > within Firewors, created a Flash document, I was unable to manipulate it at all
                      > when I opened it with Flash - ie. so no way to alter the timings.
                      >
                      > BUT Linda....your suggestion worked. It slowed down the looping. I hadn't
                      > looked at the options button before.
                      > Now....for a new set of questions:
                      >
                      > 1)is there any way to slow down the looping further? I set it to your
                      > suggested 1 frame/second, but wondering if there's some mathetmatical setting
                      > to configure it even slower.
                      >
                      > 2) is there any way to get a photo to display while the loop is loading? When
                      > i view my page now in either browser, I get a huge white square displayed while
                      > the background looping is going on.
                      >
                      > Jim, Alex, Linda....thank you for your time and expertise; You have pointed me
                      > to new directions and resources and I'm grateful. Here's one of th links again
                      > if you want to see what I am asking about: http://www.acrossmyheart.com/joe.html
                      >
                      > Becky
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                        rebasue Level 1
                        Hi Alexa

                        My email is beckymarsh@verizon.net.

                        Thanks again for your help.....Becky
                        • 9. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                          rebasue Level 1
                          Sorry Alex

                          Our daughter's name is Alexa.....typed too quickly before!!!!
                          • 10. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                            Level 7
                            I've been called a lot worse.

                            ;)

                            rebasue wrote:
                            > Hi Alexa
                            >
                            > My email is beckymarsh@verizon.net.
                            >
                            > Thanks again for your help.....Becky
                            • 11. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                              Level 7
                              "You've got mail!"

                              rebasue wrote:
                              > Hi Alexa
                              >
                              > My email is beckymarsh@verizon.net.
                              >
                              > Thanks again for your help.....Becky
                              • 12. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                                Interstella 5555 Level 1

                                lucky you i've always used fireworks quite enthusiastically since 2001

                                nice you got some feedback so far from other applications' users but, here's the deal

                                as you may know the app incorporates different image compressing choices along sliced-over and sliced-around areas of the canvas

                                your problem only happens to me too when i export animated GIF slices and change any state's tempo options afterwards

                                so you just have to bear in mind that likewise each animated-slice gets affected by its own exporting properties, so does the States panel has its own tempo (and other) settings for each slice

                                so make SURE you have correct loop and delay patterns on every state by Selecting / All of them, ie

                                hope it helps

                                best

                                • 13. Re: Exported fireworks loops too quickly
                                  Herbert2001 Level 4

                                  Uhmmm... You do realize you just responded to a message that was posted over a DECADE ago, don't you?