• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

anti aliasing filter for AE?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an anti-aliasing filter for AE?  I've got some old footage pulled off D1 & 1" masters that I'm enlarging to 1080p.  The edges get real jaggy.  Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

Dave B

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you doing the enlargement? Are you using AE's built-in Detail-Preverving Upscale effect (under the Effect>Distort menu)? Are you using a third-party plugin? Or are you just scaling up regularly?

You could use the Find Edges effect to drive a track matte that you use for a CC Vector Blur effect... that might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding!

My version of AE (v11) doesn't seem to include the "Detail Preserving Upscale" effect (?)  I have experimented with RedGiant Instant 4k but that did not cut it.  RedGiant ReSizer shows promise, however.

Dave B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that effect was introduced in one of the more recent versions.

Hopefully the third-party solution works well for you.

Alternatively, you could download a 30-day trial of CC 2015 and give the Detail-Preserving Upscale effect a go. Bear in mind that CC 2015 marks the beginning of a MAJOR change in how AE works under the hood. So expect some differences (and maybe some quirks). They have torn it apart and the AE team is nowhere near done with putting it back together, but some things work much better in it. (And some things don't even exist anymore! features not available in After Effects CC 2015 ) To give you an idea of how big of a change it was, the AE team recommended users to NOT let the CC app remove their old versions when they were upgrading t....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I fear the cloud + I'm old, it's tough to learn new stuff! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i highly recommend this plugin for AE. It will enlarge 10x better than the bicubic stuff, get rid of jaggies, smooth edges, and supports multiprocessing so is extremely fast. Try the trial to see what I mean. Take that terenex!

http://www.infognition.com/super_resolution/

also: if you're on a strict budget, free virtualdub bicubic lanscoz with upsharp is fair. as in, better than AE's old enlarger.

as a side note, redgiant's plugin is same quality as AE's new Detail-Preserving Upscale effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are asking quite a lot. AE does a fairly good job with Detail Preserving Upscale providing you have properly separated the fields and captured the original D1 footage at sufficient color depth and quality. If it were me I would start by transcoding the original footage to a 10 bit or better progressive production format with 4:4:4 color or a high bit depth image sequence, then I'd process the digital intermediate.

Even with 3rd party solutions you'll get a better result if you render a DI than you will get with compressed original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!  Unfortunately, re-transcoding was not an option in this case.  Matter resolved with RedGiant ReSizer.  On to a new job, better equipped to deal with future issues like this one.  DB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I'm running on a Mac platform.  DB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines