• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't Adobe Reader X let me save PDFs?

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This all started fairly recently, like within the last few weeks.

If I hit save when I am in Adobe Reader X, it does nothing.

Scenario 1: Online

If I view the docuemnt within my browser, then click on the icon at the bottom that says Save, nothing happens.

Scenario 2: Offline

If I view a document i have on my hard drive, I can view it fine, but if I highlight something, then save, it says "where do you want to save it" and "are you sure you want to overwrite?" and then nothing happens.  If I then attempt to close it, it will say "Do you want to save it?" then the other two questions and then nothing happens.  I have to "Revert" then close if I want to close the document.

Per a previous thread that semed to be abruptly cut short on exactly the same topic, i tried their solutions as well:

Right clicking on a link to a file online, and saving works just fine.

However there was no response from the original asker after those steps, and that didn't help me.

Any thoughts?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pls let us know the following details:

1. Your OS

2. The version of Adobe Reader installed (Help > About Adobe Reader)

3. The browser bineg used to view the PDFs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, my appologies:

1) WIndows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

2) Adobe Reader X 10.1.13 originally.  Once this started happening, I upgraded to 10.1.14 and still had the same problem.  I then Uninstalled Adobe Reader, and downloaded 10.1.14 fresh and installed it.  Same problem

3) Firefox primarily, but same effect with IE.

Everything worked Just fine until a couple weeks ago.  I have many documents that I highlight and save regularly, and all of a sudden it stopped working.  So far as I know, nothing changed then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing the information requested for.

Could you please let me know the following as well:

1. If the Save icon on the floating toolbar (while viewing PDFs in a browser) is enabled or not.

2. If unchecking the following option helps:

Edit > Preferences > Documents > Save Settings section > Automatically save the document changes to temporary file......

3. What is the state of the checkbox at:

Edit > Preferences > Internet > Web Browser Options section > Display in Read Mode by default

4. Do you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your system as ell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Save Icon is enabled, and if I click on it, it asks me where to save it.  But the file does not appear there, and does not show up in my downloaded items list.

2. Did not fix problem

3. Currently Checked.  I tried unchecking it, Did not fix problem.

4. I do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this applies or not, but if I right click on the link to a PDF, and download it, it says "There was an error opening this document.  Access Denied"

If I move that same PDF from my Downloads folder to another folder (Such as with all my other PDFs), it works just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be an issue with the access/permission rights on the Download folder or any user area folder.

Can you please check and see if you have access to read the contents of that folder or for that matter the entire User Area folder.

Also, could you see if you are registered as an Administrator or a Standard User.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have full permissions as Administrator on all folders on the computer.  And I have no issues opening any other type of file within that folder or any other folder on the computer.

Problem occurs when I attempt to save PDFs from the web or local, and it doesn't matter which folder I attempt to save within.  All folders on the computer work the same way with the exception of this random Downloads folder item.

Does Adobe Reader have any permissions settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming the same.

Woul it be possible for you to see if the same behavior is seen for the following PDF as well:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.1.3.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked all previous abnormal activity against this new PDF.  Same results, no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No additional ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this exact same issue start happening to me today; my search for answers led me here. All that fixed it was downloading Reader XI. Still have no idea what happened; there were no recent changes to my system and it was working fine yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save the PDF to Acrobat.com, will it work fine?

is the issue reproducible in Rdr10.1.4 and Rdr11?

I am wondering if the new Reader 11 installation got corrupted while Reader 10.1.4 update?

Did you un-install the previous Reader and installed the new Reader 11 or did you update from Reader 10.1.4 to Reader 11?

Thank you very much for the information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know.  After not receiving any updates to this question in over a month, I got fed up and re-installed windows from scratch.  It was Adobe Reader X that I was having prolems with, didn't know there was an XI.  issue has not returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Professional, Adobe Reader XI (11.0.11), Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010, Google Chrome, IE 11.

I save these PDFs to a drive on a server that people in my department have access to. I have them make comments on these PDFs and save them. A couple updates ago, it stopped allowing any of us to save these files without renaming them. So, now I have to add everybody's comments to one and save it (renaming it), then delete all the other files and rename my compiled comments file the original file name. This is a PITA!

The Save icon is not enabled. I went to Edit>Preferences>Documents>Save Settings section>Automatically save the document changes to temporary file..... and unchecked the box. The Display in Read Mode by default is unchecked.

FigsYum May 1, 2013 3:18 PM workaround post seems to work for me. I have not asked any of my employees to try this because it might be a little complicated for them. PLUS, this seems odd to me for a couple of reasons: 1) he posted this in 2013 but I didn't start having this problem until this past winter and, 2) why on earth would Adobe know about this issue for over 2 years and not fix the issue?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen the same behavior - floating toolbar save button or main toolbar save button ineffective even though enabled.  Win 7, 64 bit + Firefox.  Very frustrating when trying to save local copies of financial statements, etc.  I did find a workaround that hasn't failed me yet:  with a problem document open in the viewer:

1. Try to save (Ctrl+Shift+S OR floating toolbar OR main toolbar).  If it fails ...
  2. Click print (tried both floating or main toolbar, assumbe Ctrl+Shift+P would work too)
  3. When the print dialog window appears, cancel
  4. Try save again.
  5. Works now!

Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue and the print thing works.  Thanks for the tip.  I don't know why I'm having issues but at least this works.  I did also a drag and drop to my desktop and had to move a file that way but funny how it won't save.  I did notice that the "save" icon is not available but the "save as" is but doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are using the Adobe Reader plug-in rather than Firefox's pdf viewer? What happens if you switch to a different browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same thing - same issue, tried the print thing then save and worked. Something is messed up with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2015 Jan 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue, but I have Reader XI. Has anyone resolved this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this problem, the other solutions in this thread didn't work for me. But I managed to get it to work by doing the following...

Edit>Preferences>General> then unchecking show online storage when opening files and unchecking show online storage when saving files.

Also note that by the time I did this I had also done the things suggested by Ankit_Jain above. i.e...

"2. If unchecking the following option helps:

Edit > Preferences > Documents > Save Settings section > Automatically save the document changes to temporary file......"

So maybe a combination of doing that and the thing I suggest fixed it.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this totally worked for me. Immediately, as soon as I changed that setting:

"Edit>Preferences>General> then unchecking 'show online storage when opening files'  "

Well done and thankyou.

BTW, I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, "2015 release | Version 2015.010.20059".

Note that the Save (Disk) Icon on the toolbar remains greyed out, however I can now use File/Save As, or Shift/Cntrl/S.

Previously, this was resulting in an eternal box opening with a 4-square icon that just rotated around.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue.

My Adobe Reader is up to date.  There is consistency as to the kinds of documents it won't save.  Some are secure documents, others are just plain letters.  One day it WILL save, the next it won't.  I need to highlight documents for my records, but I can't make a digital file of it with the highlights.  What's happening?

Windows 10; up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines