• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way for me to use the Microsoft HTML Help layout and integrate it with a website instead of WebHelp?

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought of using WebHelp to publish the online documentation, but then I noticed that there is also the Microsoft HTML Help layout. It doesn't publish an HTML document but something else. Can I use that instead of the WebHelp? What I am trying to do is there will be a link in our site and then when they click it the HTML help file will pop up. Any information you could provide would be very helpful. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MS HTML help produces a CHM file – it’s “old tech” these days. The new snazzy output is HTML5 webhelp – if you’re hosting this on your website anyway, why would you use CHMs? It’s really well suited for delivering a single file for local help installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

I would prefer WebHelp but the problem is I have RoboHelp 9 and we are using IE11. I encountered issues and I was told that I need to upgrade to RoboHelp 2015. So I thought that I could probably get away with using the old tech.

Ronald P. Fabricante

Almira Validation Technician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expound on what Jeff said, Microsoft HTML Help is packaged up inside a file bearing a .CHM file extension. It's a single file and CHM means "Compiled Help Module". It's unsuitable for something deployed from the web because of a couple of different reasons.

1. CHM files are typically understood primarily on Windows operating systems only. Thus, they are intended to be copied directly to an end user's PC in order to be used.

2. CHM files downloaded from the web don't work if you open them in the viewer because of security restrictions. If you want to see first hand, try clicking the link below:

Click here to view

If you click that link, try opening the CHM link from there and just viewing it to see what I'm talking about.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Good point. Hmm now I will have to ask my manager to get an upgrade if that’s the case. I hate begging  LOL

Ronald P. Fabricante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Before I proceed to upgrade, do you know if RoboHelp 10 would be compatible and sufficient? I am just trying to avoid having to ask my manager because I heard it isn’t cheap.

Ronald P. Fabricante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

I have another question. I found this link online in the adobe forum. It is a fix for the RoboHelp output issues. This scenario applies to using publishing with RoboHelp 10 and using IE11 as a browser. Please see link below. So does this mean that anyone viewing this Help document would need to download the .js files to their browser?

Do you know if RoboHelp 11 would address the compatibility issue with IE11? I know you recommended RoboHelp 2015.

Ronald P. Fabricante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there are fixes available for RH10 & RH11 to enable you to create WebHelp that (so-far) works with browsers. There’s nothing in the fixes that ships to clients receiving the help; only the project creator needs them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

Do you know where I could find the fixes? Thank you!

Ronald P. Fabricante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ronald, there are fixes found at the link below.

Click here to view

Note, however, that these are for RoboHelp 10 and 11 and you are using 9. I'd be surprised to discover they solved any issues for you. Likely they would introduce new issues.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick:

We have RoboHelp 10 so that might just resolve the issue if I apply that fix. Thank you!

Ronald P. Fabricante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp