• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find and replace double spaces in RoboHelp?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to find and replace double-spaces with single-spaces in RoboHelp? I know it can be done in Word, and I am trying to do this in a RoboHelp project, but it does not seem to work. Please advise. Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Welcome to Adobe Forums!

1. Press [Ctrl]+H to open the Find And Replace dialog box.

2. Click inside the Find What and enter two spaces (just two).

3. Click inside the Replace With and enter one space.

4. Click Replace All

I just tested it at my end and it worked fine.

Regards

Himanshu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue dealing with an older document written with double spacing after a period and I want to replace them all with single space.

In existing topic of mine:

1. Type two spaces into Find What.

2. Type once space into Replace With.

3. Click Replace All and Robohelp says it "Found nothing to replace". There are definitely double spaces in the topic, I checked, so there's something more going on here.

A. Repeated test with a new topic where I typed in "cat.  dog" and it finds and replaces it.

B. Went to existing topic with multiple instances of double spaces. Went to one instance, deleted the two spaces and re-typed the two spaces.

Repeated test and one instance was replaced - the one I typed in just before. The other instances of double spaces are left as is.

C. Again in existing topic, went to instance of double space and highlighted the two spaces and copied and pasted them to the clipboard.

Pasted that into the Find What and repeated test. This time all the instances of double spaces were found and replaced in the existing topic.

D. The new topic I created in test A exhibited the same behavior as the existing topic once I saved, closed, and reopened it. The double spaces weren't found.

I don't know exactly what this means, but it seems like Robohelp is transforming the double spaces somewhere behind the scenes. After you close/reopen the topic, the double spaces must not be the same as when you first typed them in.

So it looks like you can either:

1. Copy and paste "transformed" double spaces from the topic into the Find What field.

2. Do the find and replace in the HTML view, which gives a clearer idea of what's going on. My double spaces were "   " i.e. a space followed by a   character.

You can:

Enter   in Find What

Enter nothing in Replace With

Then do your find/replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

One of the issues you might encounter would be where a sentence ends with a space and a new one begins with a space. And in that case, it could be that it's not finding the two spaces together because they are occurring on different lines in the HTML code behind the scenes.

To confirm this, find a spot where you have two spaces that didn't get converted. Select across the two spaces and click the HTML tab and note what is highlighted in the HTML view.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp