• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M in the new MacBook Pro supported by Adobe for Premiere & After Effects

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title states.

Is it worth getting the 15" MacBook Pro with the Nvidia graphics card over the 15" version without for use with both Premiere Pro & After Effects CC?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar questions:

When can we expect Mercury Playback Engine support for:

1) MacBook Pro, Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB?

2) Mac Pro with AMD FirePro D500?

3) Mac Pro with AMD FirePro D700?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Adobe ever give guidance on this question?

With the MacPro moving towards AMD, and Adobe not supporting Mercury Playback Engine for integrated graphics (although they've said they'd "like to support it") the MacBook Pro, Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M seems Adobe's only hope for Mercury Playback Engine support in the current crop of MacBook Pro / MacPro units...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While is not on the "supported" list it will work just by editing one file and adding the "GT 750M" to the list,  I am not Mac oriented but if you search this forum you should find the Mac instructions for this so called "hack".  I know that it requires use of the Mac "Terminal" to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Information for CS6... nVidia Hack for Windows http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - and Mac http://www.vidmuze.com/how-to-enable-gpu-cuda-in-adobe-cs6-for-mac/

I have NO idea if the same hack process is used/needed for CC versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you need to do is Right Click on the Application Premiere or After Effects

Show Package contents.

Copy the CUDA txt file to your desktop.

Add the card.

Save file.

Copy back to original location + replace

Done

On the other hand. Adobe should put some more effort in supporting new nvidia cards on the Mac side. Not 6 months after a release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tjeerd Paul Jacobs wrote:

All you need to do is Right Click on the Application Premiere or After Effects

Yes, you certainly can do all of this.  Or, you can just delete the file altogether and it'll just work.  It's much easier, and you don't have to chase down the exact model name and number of the GPU to make it work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have the exact same problem with the newest version of Ae CC (13.7). I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M and my Macbook seems to have difficulties running the program. As suggested, I've been looking for the CUDA text files in Ae application contents but find nothing. Is it possible that this technique is no longer possible with the 13.7 version?

Thanks in advance,

Zach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zachariet24488175 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have the exact same problem with the newest version of Ae CC (13.7). I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M and my Macbook seems to have difficulties running the program. As suggested, I've been looking for the CUDA text files in Ae application contents but find nothing. Is it possible that this technique is no longer possible with the 13.7 version?

Thanks in advance,

Zach

Ditto, Having the same problem with rendering. Any suggestions for the new update? Couldn't find any text files for openCL or CUDA in the content folders as suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not necessary. There is no longer a supported cards file. If you have a Nvidia or AMD card with (I think) +1GB ram, it should work without any intervention. Note that the GPU is not a panacea - it helps with specific things, like resizing, aaccelerated effects, and some h.264 encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrisstockwell wrote:

As the title states.

Is it worth getting the 15" MacBook Pro with the Nvidia graphics card over the 15" version without for use with both Premiere Pro & After Effects CC?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I've found that many of the users here are PC users. While they are helpful, it's rare to get anything beyond guesses for Adobe Premiere CC performance on Macs.

I've noticed that the list of "supported" GPU's is not updated all that much by Adobe. It took a while after last year's macs were released for that list to be updated with those GPUs. But the 750M has 2GB VRAM and pretty much any GPU with 1GB of VRAM or more can take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine on Premiere CC (http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/06/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-and-gpu-support.html)  With CS6, if your card isn't on the "list" you could add it using that hack that people talk about but you don't have to worry about that with CC as the above link explains.

While the regular 15" Macbook with the integrated graphics card is probably good enough to edit w/ Premiere CC, I don't think you'll be able to take advantage of any GPU acceleration because of the lack of a dedicated GPU with 1GB of VRAM. I am running Premiere CC on an iMac with an AMD GPU that isn't on the list, but does have 1GB of VRAM so I can take advantage of gpu accleration (however, while it's smoother than "software only", it definitely has it's REALLY annoying issues). I'm sure it'd be better with a newer NVIDIA card (from what I've read anyway) but like you, it's hard to get feedback from many people on these forums who use macs.

Hope this helps. I for one would go with the 750M. It's more $$$, but I'm guessing it'll be worth it. Just a guess though. I wish someone with that laptop (or even a 2013 iMac with similar GPU) would chime in with their thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrisstockwell wrote:

You'll spend a bit more to get the one with the nVidia GPU, but I don't think you'll regret it.  Out of the gate, CC isn't likely to natively support the card.  But like me, all you have to do is delete the CUDA and OpenCL (if you want) text files from the CC install directory, and it'll instantly recognize the card for use with both APIs.  It'll do so without presenting you with a warning that you have to click through, and more importantly, AME will use it as well.

[For those unaware: when using a non-supported GPU with CC, you'll get a warning that it's not tested, but you're welcome to use MPE in hardware mode regardless.  However, AME will not use the card.  In order to get AME to use the card, you have to either edit the text files, or delete them.  I prefer the latter, of course.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you elaborate on this a little more? I just purchased the Late-2013 MBPr with the NVIDIA 750M. Not "officially" supported it seems for CUDA inside After Effects (works just fine in Premiere CC for me though – not sure why that is however,) but I would love to have access to the car in AME and AE as well.

So what text files do I delete? Do I need to re-install all the Creative Cloud apps, or can I do it after I've installed? Thanks in advance for your help Jason!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gibsonjsh wrote:

So what text files do I delete?

I can't help with AE, as I've never used it before.  But I'll bet its directory structure is identical to Premiere Pro's, or darn close to it.

To get Pr and AME to use the nVidia GPU in your Macbook Pro, look in the directory:

/Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CC/Adobe Premiere Pro CC.app/Contents

There are 2 text files in there, opencl_supported_cards.txt and cuda_supported_cards.txt.  Remove them both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late but i am now wanting to sell my 13" retina to have a dedicated GPU... Thanks for the tips though, I am new to adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you have "& After Effects CC" in the question, YES, get the MacBook Pro with the dedicated graphics card.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines