• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fatal Error Compiling CHM File in RoboHelp 7

May 01, 2008 May 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I get a fatal error in the Output View when compiling a CHM in RoboHelp 7. The application has crashed numerous times when I've moved or deleted folders in the Project Manager. As a result, I believe the hhp file is referring to files that don't exist anymore. For instance, I found the file paths to 2 deleted topics. Could this be the cause of the CHM compilation error?

The project contains no broken links or special characters.

Help!

Sugar the Beet

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2008 May 02, 2008
Welcome to the forum.

Who knows? One way to find out. Make a copy of the project and then edit the HHP in Notepad.

If that fails, delete the CPD and then reopen the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2008 May 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Who knows? One way to find out. Make a copy of the project and then edit the HHP in Notepad.

If that fails, delete the CPD and then reopen the project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

Is there any way I can compare my topic list with the topic list in the HHP file? I recall doing something like this before and using MS Excel to compare. I can't remember how I got the project topic list.

STB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reports Menu?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the CPD produced a functional CHM file, but only after compiling in HTML Help Workshop. I did, however, receive an error message regarding 2 URLs.

I was unable to find the URLs using the Adobe GoLive search function, but the HTML Help Workshop error log insists I have two addresses with backslashes (\) instead of forward slashes. I don't get it: my URLs are correct in Project Manager, and I can't find the backward URLs anywhere.

When I try compile the CHM using RoboHelp, the application fails to present the CHM after the output is complete. When I open it in explorer, I get the classic: "Cannot open the file: mk:@MSITStore:[filepath]".

Any ideas on what I should do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ewiqoujfdsaklfjlaksj,

> the HTML Help Workshop error log insists I have two addresses with
> backslashes (\) instead of forward slashes.

Like this?

HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling http:\www.google.com.
HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling http:\www.adobe.com.

If so, these errors are benign if you've associated the Web addresses with custom "Jump" buttons in the toolbar of the help viewer. This is a known glitch in the HTML Help compiler.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. So you don't think it's the reason RoboHelp won't compile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, no, but you might try removing the Jump buttons and then recompiling with RoboHelp to confirm this. Presumably there are no other errors in the log?

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would they be the Related Topics buttons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

By "Jump" buttons I mean the two additional buttons that you can add to the toolbar of the help viewer and that take the user to an author-designated help topic or Web page — the latter in your case. You would have set these up when customising the window for your help file.

Specifying Web addresses as the targets of Related Topics links shouldn't cause the HHC5003 errors. In fact, I suspect that it's only by assigning URLs to Jump buttons that you'll receive the (false) error messages.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CHM file, as I anticipated, won't compile in RoboHelp properly. I end up with a 1KB chm file and an error message when I attempt to open it (mk:@MSITStore). I'm getting tired of seeing that error message. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 03, 2008 May 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Jennifer

One thing you may wish to try is to create a totally new layout. Just right-click inside your Single Source Layouts pod and choose New Layout.... Define a new one and try again.

This isn't a surefire fix, but a long shot. In the past, we have seen that for some reason a layout file will become corrupt and creating a new one from scratch will correct things.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for HTML Help Workshop. Thanks. 🙂 Now I'll test it in RoboHelp. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp