Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving photos from internal drive to external drive

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recognize that there are a number of previously asked questions about moving files from your computers internal drive to external drive.  I would like to make sure that I understand correctly before doing anything. Also, some of the conversations were a little convoluted and confusing for me when many were firing off different questions and others with conflicting information.  I am hoping by my asking that it will be a little more clear to me.

I am currently running out of space on my computer's internal drive.  I have cleared out a lot of things, however, as I continue to add, it will of course fill back up so I would like to move everything to an external drive. From what I have understood, I find the external drive through Lightroom and add it so it can be recognized (I haven't tried that yet but watched a video and hope that I can do that).  If I move the folders from within Lightroom, I think that it it moves it off my computer completely without having to delete the files??  Also, in doing so through Lightroom, it should automatically recognize the location of the files so that they do not appear "missing" and will link to the file when the external drive is connected? (I would NOT have to then manually locate the files, am I correct?)

I would like to back up to 2 external drives so that I guarantee that my files are backed up. Is it best to do it all together by checking off "make a copy to..."?  Can that even be done when moving the files or is that only an option on initial import?

How do I have the catalog backups on my computer's internal drive and 2 external drives? Do I force a "back up catalog" in order to do so?

If I move only previous years photos off of my internal drive but keep the current year's photos on my internal drive can I keep all of my photos in one catalog or should I be creating separate catalogs? (I still do not completely understand multiple catalogs and have only used one with everything that I have).

Due to my learning style, I find it extremely difficult to learn this way (in forums I mean) and much prefer a walk through with an individual but have been told that Adobe does not offer that type of telephone support.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

I realize that there are a lot of questions and would appreciate the help. I would be devastated to lose my photos, as I imagine most people would be. I am attempting to make sure that I do this correctly as I would hate to mess up the transfer and lose these visual memories.  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

tamc2015 wrote:

I have a very large amount of photos and therefore folders.  I am hoping that I understood correctly that there is a more streamlined, efficient way to move everything if there is one.

If you have a large amount of files & folders I recommend using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder to move them to the new external drive. There have been numerous posts where users have lost entire photo collections when moving files & folders to an external drive from inside LR. Here thwo posts th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just move all images from internal to the external drive keep all folders exactly the same using the File Manager for your OS. Then in LR use the Update folder location option to reconnect the folders and images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very large amount of photos and therefore folders.  I am hoping that I understood correctly that there is a more streamlined, efficient way to move everything if there is one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tamc2015 wrote:

If you have a large amount of files & folders I recommend using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder to move them to the new external drive. There have been numerous posts where users have lost entire photo collections when moving files & folders to an external drive from inside LR. Here thwo posts that explain the process:

Re: How do I move my pictures to external hard drive?

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have to admit that it is anxiety inducing to hear that people have lost their photo collections.  I do have a MAC so that would be the process.

By looking at these links, I think it will be challenging because I never properly organized my folders initially and almost everything is sorted simply by year, month and day.  Admittedly, this is my own fault.  Due to that sorting process of my own creation, will that not be extremely difficult to use this approach?

If you have any advice on any of my other initial questions, I would appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tamc2015 wrote:

By looking at these links, I think it will be challenging because I never properly organized my folders initially and almost everything is sorted simply by year, month and day.  Admittedly, this is my own fault.  Due to that sorting process of my own creation, will that not be extremely difficult to use this approach?

That folder organization is in fact perfect! Use keywords and collections inside LR for cataloging and organizing your image files–NOT file & folder naming. I have all of my date organized image file folders under a top-level 'My Pictures' folder. Before going any further backup your LR catalog now!

I assume your image files are in the Mac 'Pictures' folder. You'll need to create a new folder named Pictures on the external drive and use Finder to Copy & Paste (NOT simply Drag & Drop) ALL of the folders, at the same time, into the new Pictures folder. How to Copy Files and Folders in Mac OS X Lion - For Dummies

By using 'Copy' the original files & folders remain on the internal drive so you can cross-check 1) file count, 2) folder count, and 3 size on disk. Read more here on how to confirm that all files & folders have been successfully "copied" to the external drive. Re: How do I move my pictures to external hard drive?

One confirmed AOK open LR and in the Library module left pane under Folders' right-click on the mac drive top-level 'Pictures' folder and select 'Update folder location.' Navigate to the new Pictures folder on the external drive, which will cause LR to reconnect the catalog file to the new copy of your image files & folders. Everything should be working and all files & folders should be accessible with no missing file & folder icons '!' on them.

Take your time, read, and re-read the instructions until you understand the procedure. If you have any questions let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again. After watching some videos, it seemed that my file naming system was an issue. I only just changed it after a trip last month and created a folder during import with the place we travelled to.  However, it is still within the 2016 main folder.  It's a little reassuring that I wasn't off the mark from the beginning then.
The metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another applicaiton

I had dragged and dropped to backup to an external file a couple of months ago. It did not move them off my internal drive.  After moving I tried to verify the size with what was originally the size before dragging and everything seemed to match up.  I will however, look at the link that you have provided and copy the files to the new external drive (again, my plan is to have 2).

"Once confirmed AOK" Do you mean once I have confirmed that the files have successfully moved?

Will it create an issue if I continue to have only one main catalog but files located on separate drives? (Again, planning to keep current year on my internal drive but others only on an external).  Or would it be better to create separate catalogs?  Do I then just copy LR catalog backups to the external drive?

I assume once I "update folder location" and verify that there is no "!" or "?", I can't delete those files off my internal drive?

Unrelated to my original question, I just noticed a bunch of metadata status "has been changed".  Possibly from my recent upgrade to LR 6 (or possibly I was just previously oblivious). Some say "the metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from catalog?" I have no idea what this means.  I do not know what to choose.  Some of them just say "The metadata for this photo has been changed in LR. Save the changes to disk? Cancel or save".  Again, I do not know what I am supposed to do.  Will not changing this before moving everything cause me any problems?

I had intended to start the process tomorrow but now I have a sick child so that is highly unlikely to happen.  And with our schedules, I do not know when I might get the chance to try this again.  Hopefully soon, but maybe a few weeks.  Can I ask then  or will my thread close?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tamc2015 wrote:

Thank you again. After watching some videos, it seemed that my file naming system was an issue. I only just changed it after a trip last month and created a folder during import with the place we travelled to.  However, it is still within the 2016 main folder.  It's a little reassuring that I wasn't off the mark from the beginning then.

That's perfectly OK, but don't get carried away renaming files or folders for identification purposes. Instead assign specific keywords inside LR to the trip files, such as 'trip name,' locations, and other picture specific information. You can then use LR's Filter bar to find specific pictures using these keywords and create a Collection with all of the trip photos.Excellent eBook on the subject here: Organizing Your Photos with Lightroom 5 - The DAM Book It applies to LR 5, 6, and CC 2015.

tamc2015 wrote:

I had dragged and dropped to backup to an external file a couple of months ago. It did not move them off my internal drive.  After moving I tried to verify the size with what was originally the size before dragging and everything seemed to match up.  I will however, look at the link that you have provided and copy the files to the new external drive (again, my plan is to have 2).

When you drag & drop from an internal drive to an external drive with Mac OS X it assumes you want to Copy the files: How to Move Files in Mac OS X I didn't know that... Also if you hold down the Command key while dragging and dropping it will Copy over new files to the destination folder and not Move the originals. It's best to use an entirely separate external drive for backup purposes and not a drive that contains original files. That means you will need two external drives.

tamc2015 wrote:

"Once confirmed AOK" Do you mean once I have confirmed that the files have successfully moved?

Yes. Here's an example on my Windows system at the link I provided. Mac Finder should look similar. Notice Size On Disk, File Count, and Folder Count are identical on each drive. That indicates the files were all copied over. E: is my internal drive and J: is my external drive, which in this case is my backup drive. You can delete the files on the internal drive once you have verified the counts, successfully reconnected the image files inside LR to the new Pictures folder, and verified everything is working properly. There's no need to delete them right away!

Move Pictures To New Drive - Properties Check.jpg

tamc2015 wrote:

Will it create an issue if I continue to have only one main catalog but files located on separate drives? (Again, planning to keep current year on my internal drive but others only on an external).  Or would it be better to create separate catalogs?  Do I then just copy LR catalog backups to the external drive?

That is perfectly OK and will show in LR's Library module as two separate drives. That will work fine with one (1) catalog. You should set LR to copy the Catalog Backup to your separate backup drive. Create a folder on that drive and name it Lightroom Catalog Backup so you can keep track of them.

tamc2015 wrote:

Unrelated to my original question, I just noticed a bunch of metadata status "has been changed".  Possibly from my recent upgrade to LR 6 (or possibly I was just previously oblivious). Some say "the metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from catalog?" I have no idea what this means.  I do not know what to choose.  Some of them just say "The metadata for this photo has been changed in LR. Save the changes to disk? Cancel or save".  Again, I do not know what I am supposed to do.

This generally only happens when the image files have been opened in another application such as Photoshop and then re-saved. Are you opening and/or re-saving image files in any other applications?

tamc2015 wrote:

Will not changing this before moving everything cause me any problems?

It depends on your answer to the above question. If you didn't actually edit or add metadata to the files in another application outside LR then there's no issue.

tamc2015 wrote:

I had intended to start the process tomorrow but now I have a sick child so that is highly unlikely to happen.  And with our schedules, I do not know when I might get the chance to try this again.  Hopefully soon, but maybe a few weeks.  Can I ask then  or will my thread close?

Take care of priorities...we'll be here when you're ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for the reply.

I will have to spend a bit of time going over the whole response, but to answer your question to mine

tamc2015 wrote:

Unrelated to my original question, I just noticed a bunch of metadata status "has been changed".  Possibly from my recent upgrade to LR 6 (or possibly I was just previously oblivious). Some say "the metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from catalog?" I have no idea what this means.  I do not know what to choose.  Some of them just say "The metadata for this photo has been changed in LR. Save the changes to disk? Cancel or save".  Again, I do not know what I am supposed to do.

This generally only happens when the image files have been opened in another application such as Photoshop and then re-saved. Are you opening and/or re-saving image files in any other applications?

The only other program that I believe I use to open anything is in Preview.  I do not make any changes to the original and do not use Photoshop for editing currently or in the past.  I possibly may use it in the future. So as far as I am aware and recall, I am not re-saving in any application.  I don't even really understand what metadata is and there should not be edits outside of LR to the best of my recollection.  As a test, it seems to be some images that I have made a change to and exported.  (And a few others that I don't recall doing anything with.)  I have no idea what I am supposed to do, if anything, in LR to "resolve conflict".

I truly, sincerely appreciate all of your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A metadata conflict can occur if you re-export a file and choose "over-write" an existing file. Regardless, since you have not edited the image files in another application there is no real conflict. You can ignore it or find the affected image files and get rid of the metadata conflict icon as described below using the LR Filter Bar:

Ask Tim Grey - Metadata Mismatch - September 11, 2012

In the Library module left panel under 'Catalog' click on 'All Photographs.' In the Filter bar select 'Conflict Detected' and then Select All images (Command + S). On any one of the images click on the metadata conflict icon and select 'Overwrite Settings.' All of the selected image files will be updated. As you can see I've got quite a few from editing files using Photoshop. Some of them are video files that have never been edited (bogus conflict), some were edited in PS (no real conflict), and some were never edited outside LR (bogus conflict). Nothing to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me a few minutes to understand how to see this but I have figured that out.  However, I am confused by Tim Gray's statement "If you're using Lightroom as your primary platform for managing and optimizing your images, then chances are it won't be a problem to update the data in the image files and sidecar files. But it's not a bad idea to check the status of some of the images just to be sure you know what you're up against."

It's the last sentence that confuses me as I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for exactly???

What are the metadata "changed on disk", "has been changed" and I also have one called "unknown".  Am I supposed to do anything with those ones? 
If I understand the article you just linked, that pertained strictly to "conflict detected"?

I apologize because I feel so completely overwhelmed and lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tamc2015 wrote:

I am confused by Tim Gray's statement "If you're using Lightroom as your primary platform for managing and optimizing your images, then chances are it won't be a problem to update the data in the image files and sidecar files. But it's not a bad idea to check the status of some of the images just to be sure you know what you're up against."

It's the last sentence that confuses me as I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for exactly???

Some users have reported seeing metadata conflict icons on images when they have NOT done anything that should cause it. Since you have NOT edited photos outside of Lightroom there is no "actual" conflict, (bogus). You do NOT want to use 'Import Settings from Disk,' which may cause you to lose keywords, ratings, flags, etc. applied to image files inside LR. LR normally only stores these inside the LR catalog and not in the actual file. Using 'Import Settings from Disk' reads the file's metadata, which will cause all of these applied metadata to be removed. There is an exception to this if you changed your LR Catalog Settings> Metadata tab and checked 'Automatically write changes into XMP.' By default it is unchecked.Yours is probably unchecked so you want to use 'Overwrite Settings,' which will retain all of your LR edits and metadata.

I noticed in my reply #16 I said, "Select All images (Command + S)." That is incorrect and should say "Select All Images (Command + A) or menu Edit> Select All. Command + S writes the LR catalog metadata to the actual file, which will also resolve the metadata conflict, but in your case this it is not necessary.

tamc2015 wrote:

What are the metadata "changed on disk", "has been changed" and I also have one called "unknown".  Am I supposed to do anything with those ones? 

Again, since you have NOT edited images outside LR the best way to resolve these other metadata conflicts is to use 'Overwrite Settings' for ALL of them, as outlined. The one exception would be if you have a drive imported into LR that contains "backup copies" (duplicates) of "original image files" also in LR. They may show metadata conflict because another program (Finder or backup app) is being used to update the backup. If ANY backup (duplicate) copies have been imported into LR I suggest you Remove (not Delete) them from LR. Just an FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have not had any opportunity to tackle any of this so far and I still do not anticipate doing so for awhile the way things have been going.  However, before moving everything to the external drive I was thinking that I should be addressing these metadata 'messages'?

Some users have reported seeing metadata conflict icons on images when they have NOT done anything that should cause it. Since you have NOT edited photos outside of Lightroom there is no "actual" conflict, (bogus). You do NOT want to use 'Import Settings from Disk,' which may cause you to lose keywords, ratings, flags, etc. applied to image files inside LR. LR normally only stores these inside the LR catalog and not in the actual file. Using 'Import Settings from Disk' reads the file's metadata, which will cause all of these applied metadata to be removed. There is an exception to this if you changed your LR Catalog Settings> Metadata tab and checked 'Automatically write changes into XMP.' By default it is unchecked.Yours is probably unchecked so you want to use 'Overwrite Settings,' which will retain all of your LR edits and metadata.

Not all files are RAW files and I only see some XMP files. (Not all of the RAW ones seem to have XMP files I don't think). You are correct that that "Automatically write changes into XMP" is unchecked. If I understood what you are saying correctly, I should be overwriting settings?  Is that for any metadata that "changed on disk", "has been changed" and "unknown" or strictly for the images that are labelled "conflict detected"?  Does any of this change the original/master file?

You mentioned

Again, since you have NOT edited images outside LR the best way to resolve these other metadata conflicts is to use 'Overwrite Settings' for ALL of them, as outlined. The one exception would be if you have a drive imported into LR that contains "backup copies" (duplicates) of "original image files" also in LR. They may show metadata conflict because another program (Finder or backup app) is being used to update the backup. If ANY backup (duplicate) copies have been imported into LR I suggest you Remove (not Delete) them from LR. Just an FYI.

I will be creating that external drive with a manual backup of the files.  Do you mean if an image gets duplicated in LR? Why remove and not delete? Wouldn't both images then appear in one drive and become redundant?  Maybe I have misunderstood this part of your comments completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tamc2015 wrote:

Not all files are RAW files and I only see some XMP files. (Not all of the RAW ones seem to have XMP files I don't think). You are correct that that "Automatically write changes into XMP" is unchecked.

If "Automatically write changes into XMP" is unchecked the only way XMP files could have been created is in another application (Photoshop or PS Elements, Camera's Software, etc.), OR using COMMAND + S keys. Since you say the images were NOT edited outside LR then COMMAND + S is the only way they could have been created. No harm done and if you are sure your LR Develop edits look correct inside LR the XMP files can be deleted. They are normally only used when editing raw files in both LR and another application such as Adobe Camera in PS.

tamc2015 wrote:

If I understood what you are saying correctly, I should be overwriting settings?  Is that for any metadata that "changed on disk", "has been changed" and "unknown" or strictly for the images that are labelled "conflict detected"?  Does any of this change the original/master file?

You want to use 'Overwrite Settings' for ALL of these conflicts. After the XMP files have been deleted you will have fewer metadata conflicts, so delete them first! Raw files are not written to inside LR, only their XMP sidecar files. JPEG, TIFF and PNGs file metadata will be written so that it matches what is currently in the LR Catalog (i.e. what you now see onscreen). However, the file's image data will NOT be modified.

tamc2015 wrote:

You mentioned

I will be creating that external drive with a manual backup of the files.  Do you mean if an image gets duplicated in LR? Why remove and not delete? Wouldn't both images then appear in one drive and become redundant?  Maybe I have misunderstood this part of your comments completely.

To make this clearer:

You should be making backup "copies" of all of your image files and the LR Catalog file, which are stored on a separate external drive:

1) These backup copies should NOT be stored on the same drive as the original image files.

2) These backup copies should NOT be imported into LR.

3) It's OK to locate some of your original image files on an internal drive and some of them on an external drive. But ALL of those original files should have backup copies stored on a 3rd drive ( i.e. 2nd external drive). These backup copies are not considered duplicates. They are only to be used if the original files are lost due to a hard drive failure or accidental file deletion. Hopefully that will never happen.

To do this you need to install, setup, and use a file backup or synchronization software utility such as FreeFileSync. You can also use an online backup such as Dropbox, but I recommend keeping a local backup copy on an external drive (i.e. two backup copies). The first time you run the backup/synchronization utility it will take a long time since ALL of the files must be written to the separate backup drive. Re-synchronize your backup after every major editing session and after adding new camera files. The new files will be added, any modified files will be updated, and removed files will be deleted from the backup drive. Because only the affected files need to be updated (i.e. synchronized) it will take much less time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again.  I will start with some of these changes and follow up when I actually get to doing the "bigger" stuff.  Now I have a clearer picture and better understanding before jumping in and doing the wrong thing. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently I lied and have a question immediately.  The first image that I attempted to correct that has a metadata status of "has been changed" says "The metadata for this photo has been changed in Lightroom. Save the changes to disk?" The only option is "cancel" or "save"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember what I said:

"Raw files are not written to inside LR, only their XMP sidecar files. JPEG, TIFF and PNGs file metadata will be written so that it matches what is currently in the LR Catalog (i.e. what you now see onscreen). However, the file's image data will NOT be modified."

1) If you didn't delete the XMP files they will be written to on disk. This is of no consequence since they will be update with the current settings...and can be deleted anyhow.

2) If you have any JPEG, TIFF or PNG files only the file metadata will be updated and written to on disk with the current catalog information. Again of no real consequence here other than to get rid of the metadata conflict.

If you don't currently have a backup copy of ALL original image files stored on a separate 2nd external hard drive I suggest doing that as the first step. Here's how the backup of all my media files on the backup drive looks inside FreeFileSync. The "folder pairs" shown below are "synchronized" between the internal drive C: (Lightroom) and external drive E: ( Pictures and all other media files) to the 2nd external hard drive M: (i.e.backup drive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe my lack of understanding is that really do not understand what metadata is and what I am agreeing to or not agreeing to.  I believe you are saying that I should "save" to correct the conflict?  (I still do not really understand what the conflict means and whether it is crucial to change it).

I apologize again for my lack of understanding.  My schooling was not in this area at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should help:

Metadata Q&A | Photometadata.org

Image files contain image pixel data (the picture) and image metadata in two separate areas. Metadata such as 'Date Created' and 'Date Modified' can be changed without changing the image pixel data So no worries that this will affect what the picture looks like. All of your adjustments are contained in the LR Catalog file and applied non-destructively (i.e. the original image file pixel data is never changed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again.  I will read that link also.  From your last explanation, I think I understand a bit better.  I thought the original image information (pixel data/the picture) would be changed also. 

I went into LR and tried on some jpegs and NEF with metadata status that was "up to date".  And changed the white balance.  I checked the metadata status again and now it says "has been changed".  So any changes I make will result in a status of "has been changed" and will require a "save" to be "up to date"?  I think I am also confused because "save changes to disk" makes it seem it will modify the original image as "delete from disk" means trashing from the computer.

I feel I am doing something I am not supposed to when I say "save" to the question "The metadata for this photo has been changed in Lightroom. Save the changes to disk?"
However, now I am understand that I should "save".  Am I correct?  (This save happens to the portion of the original image that records when last modification occurs?)

You mentioned earlier to delete sidecar files.  Where should I be doing this from or how should I be doing this?  I tried from the the folder the original images are kept and when I "save" the metadata, it created a new xmp file to go with it.  As a matter of fact, any NEF file that I have tried to "save" changes to disk creates a xmp file automatically (when there was none visible from the start).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tamc2015 wrote:

I went into LR and tried on some jpegs and NEF with metadata status that was "up to date".  And changed the white balance.  I checked the metadata status again and now it says "has been changed".  So any changes I make will result in a status of "has been changed" and will require a "save" to be "up to date"?  I think I am also confused because "save changes to disk" makes it seem it will modify the original image as "delete from disk" means trashing from the computer.

Epilouge:

This is happening because you have 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' checked, but 'Automatically write changes into XMP unchecked. Without that checked any time you make a changes to an image the LR catalog is updated with those changes, but NOT the actual image file or XMP file. ERGO- Metadata Conflict! You have the option of using COMMAND + S keys (Save Metadata to file) after completing edits to an image file(s), which will write the changes to the files and update the metadata status. But first please read on.......

Why not use these settings anyhow...partial, extra backup is better than none, correct? IMHO the answer is NO! The one exception is if you regularly edit image files in both LR and another application such as Adobe Camera Raw inside Photoshop or share files for editing in LR with another person.

REASON

1) Numerous LR users have reported having performance issues with 'Automatically write changes into XMP' checked.

2) Every time you make a changes to a non-raw image file (JPEG, TIFF, etc.) LR opens the file, modifies the metadata, and over-writes the modified file back to the hard drive. Yes, LR does not modify the image data, but the file is still prone to becoming corrupted due to other system related anomalies! As a 45-Year veteran of the Computing Technology Industry–I don't use it! Surprisingly, I also haven't had any performance issues with LR 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5, and now CC 2015.

Feel free to try LR with both of the below options checked and see if you experience any performance issues. It will create XMP files for all of your raw images, but they are very small files typically less than 10KB. It will also update all of your other non-raw files. This may in fact cause a temporary performance issue since it runs in the background and uses some of your system resources. Once completed LR should run smoother.

The decision and choice is entirely yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I partially understand what you are saying.  At the end of the day, as long as I have my original file, if there is a corruption, I can always re-edit.  And to be perfectly frank, I am still trying to better edit so do go back and make changes and try to adjust something that I have previously done.  (I have a long way to go before "completing" my edits).  I do not feel that I would need the XMP file because of this.  Unless this somehow saves my image if there is an image corruption for some reason.  However, since these are so small I am assuming that the original really is needed?

I understand that because I have 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' checked', that the metadata conflict will occur with my JPEG files (I do not currently have any TIFF, PNG or PSD files).  I do not understand however, why the conflict occurs to a NEF file (Nikon's RAW which I presume you know though).  I also do not understand why a XMP file gets created when I try to resolve the conflict when 'Automatically write changes into XMP' is left unchecked with a NEF image.

I do try to regularly back up my catalogs.  I have had to get rid of some old ones because of space.  I often run the "find missing files" which I have presumed would detect any corruption but possibly I am incorrect about that??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tamc2015 wrote:

I think I partially understand what you are saying.  At the end of the day, as long as I have my original file, if there is a corruption, I can always re-edit.  And to be perfectly frank, I am still trying to better edit so do go back and make changes and try to adjust something that I have previously done.  (I have a long way to go before "completing" my edits).  I do not feel that I would need the XMP file because of this.  Unless this somehow saves my image if there is an image corruption for some reason.  However, since these are so small I am assuming that the original really is needed?

The issue concerns loss of the LR Catalog file due to corruption or hard drive failure. Your LR edits, keywording, rating, collections, etc. will be lost if you don't have a LR Catalog file backup or the backup isn't current with your recent edits. By writing Develop settings and other metadata to the file and XMP sidecars you can create a new LR catalog and use 'Read metadata from file' to restore your edits, keywords, and ratings. LR items like collections will not automatically be restored, but if you have used good keywording they can be recreated. The XMP files only contain LR editing information, keywords, ratings, etc. You need to make backup copies of all your image files to a separate hard drive so they can be recovered in the event of accidental deletion or hard drive failure.

tamc2015 wrote:

I understand that because I have 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' checked', that the metadata conflict will occur with my JPEG files (I do not currently have any TIFF, PNG or PSD files).  I do not understand however, why the conflict occurs to a NEF file (Nikon's RAW which I presume you know though).  I also do not understand why a XMP file gets created when I try to resolve the conflict when 'Automatically write changes into XMP' is left unchecked with a NEF image.

At some point you accidentally (or on purpose?) created XMP files for selected NEF image files. This was most likely done using COMMAND + S keys shortcut for 'Save Metadata to File.' This will create XMP files for those selected NEF files even with 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' unchecked. That is always ON by default for raw files like NEFs. Once you've 1) removed the metadata conflict for all NEF files AND 2) then removed the XMP files, 3) LR will no longer show a metadata conflict. You need to do it in that order> 1 then 2.

tamc2015 wrote:

I do try to regularly back up my catalogs.  I have had to get rid of some old ones because of space.

You want to create a new catalog backup after every major editing session. If you've edited 100 or 1,000 image files since the last LR Catalog file backup and the current catalog becomes unusable...then you'll need to edit those 100 or 1,000 image files all over again. Only you can determine the threshold of pain for lost edits.

tamc2015 wrote:

I often run the "find missing files" which I have presumed would detect any corruption but possibly I am incorrect about that??

Find missing files is used to relocate files that have been moved from outside LR (! icon on thumbnails). To insure against Catalog corruption make sure 'Test integrity before backing up' and 'Optimize catalog after backing up' are checked. That's about all you can do other than keep a number of the older catalog backups for extra safety.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue concerns loss of the LR Catalog file due to corruption or hard drive failure. Your LR edits, keywording, rating, collections, etc. will be lost if you don't have a LR Catalog file backup or the backup isn't current with your recent edits. By writing Develop settings and other metadata to the file and XMP sidecars you can create a new LR catalog and use 'Read metadata from file' to restore your edits, keywords, and ratings. LR items like collections will not automatically be restored, but if you have used good keywording they can be recreated. The XMP files only contain LR editing information, keywords, ratings, etc. You need to make backup copies of all your image files to a separate hard drive so they can be recovered in the event of accidental deletion or hard drive failure.

So I would have the original and whatever the last of my edits would be but not the in-between process. At least that's what I am understanding here.

tamc2015 wrote:

At some point you accidentally (or on purpose?) created XMP files for selected NEF image files. This was most likely done using COMMAND + S keys shortcut for 'Save Metadata to File.' This will create XMP files for those selected NEF files even with 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' unchecked. That is always ON by default for raw files like NEFs. Once you've 1) removed the metadata conflict for all NEF files AND 2) then removed the XMP files, 3) LR will no longer show a metadata conflict. You need to do it in that order> 1 then 2.

Possibly I accidentally created them? Or is it that regardless of what is checked, NEF files ALWAYS create a sidecar?  I did a test with command + S and a sidecar was created. 
always ON by default for raw files like NEFs

I also tried by clicking the little box beside metadata status. Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 6.15.11 PM.png

After clicking the box (not using shortcut command + S), I still have a sidecar file.
Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 6.15.33 PM.png

Or did you mean that no matter what I do, NEF files will ALWAYS create a sidecar file if I resolve the metadata conflict (from your comment 'always ON by default for raw files like NEFs')? Then I would always have to manually delete the XMP files.

Is there a purpose to resolving the metadata conflict then or can I just leave it as "Has been changed"? (and file transfer from internal drive to external drive will be not create some issue because the conflict is not resolved).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tamc2015 wrote:

The XMP files only contain LR editing information, keywords, ratings, etc. You need to make backup copies of all your image files to a separate hard drive so they can be recovered in the event of accidental deletion or hard drive failure.

So I would have the original and whatever the last of my edits would be but not the in-between process. At least that's what I am understanding here.

Yes. XMP file metadata and non-raw file metadata saved to the original file does not contain information about

tamc2015 wrote:

At some point you accidentally (or on purpose?) created XMP files for selected NEF image files. This was most likely done using COMMAND + S keys shortcut for 'Save Metadata to File.' This will create XMP files for those selected NEF files even with 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' unchecked. That is always ON by default for raw files like NEFs.

Possibly I accidentally created them? Or is it that regardless of what is checked, NEF files ALWAYS create a sidecar?  I did a test with command + S and a sidecar was created. 

If you use COMMAND +S or that menu item in the Library or Develop module with any raw file (i.e. NEF) selected it will create an XMP file that contains keywords, ratings, and Develop settings. In the case of non-raw files only keywords and ratings are saved to the file's metadata unless 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG and PSD files' is checked. This is the LR default behavior–You cannot change it. Be careful about using COMMAND + S.....or just don't use it.

tamc2015 wrote:

I also tried by clicking the little box beside metadata status.

After clicking the box (not using shortcut command + S), I still have a sidecar file.

I'll repeat what I said–Here's what you need to do to remove the XMP files permanently:

1) Remove the metadata conflict for all NEF files. You can do this by selecting a group of NEF files with the Metadata Conflict icon and going to menu Metadata> Save Metadata to file or by clicking on the icon and selecting Overwrite Settings.  All of the selected file metadata conflicts will be resolved!

2) You can now "manually" delete the XMP files using Finder.

As long you don't edit any files outside LR the Metadata Conflicts will not re-appear!

tamc2015 wrote:

Is there a purpose to resolving the metadata conflict then or can I just leave it as "Has been changed"? (and file transfer from internal drive to external drive will be not create some issue because the conflict is not resolved).

It's only there to warn you that the file "may" have been edited outside LR (i.e. some metadata field has changed).  Since you don't edit the files in other applications removal of the Metadata Conflict icon is totally optional. What you see in LR is what you get....and that's what you want!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines