• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving from RH version X5.0.1 to 7.0

Explorer ,
May 05, 2008 May 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting ready to upgrade from RH version X5.0.1 to 7.0 and just wanted to know if there was anything I needed to be aware of (i.e. issues, snags, etc) or anything else I should take care of before I move ahead with the upgarde. I have about 20 help files I've created and am responsible for managing and just don't want to risk losing any of my content or functionality (i.e. links, drop-downs, etc) during the upgarde process.

I always tread cautiously when upgrading, since I just don't want anything to get lost in the shuffle along the way, so I thought I'd throw this out there just to make sure the transition would be a smooth one.

Thanks very much in advance.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the RH7 articles on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd advise against taking my advice as holy writ :), but we just did the same last week or so and so far I've not seen any new problems.

Mind you, we're still experiencing some existing issues that we already had prior to RH 7, but as far as I can tell, the transition was a smooth one, with no corrupt text or missing links, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went from RH6 to RH7 a few weeks ago and had zero problems related to the transition to the help itself. However, I did (temporarily) break our software build process. When the developers installed RH7 on our build computer, we had to sort through some issues related to the upgrade--nothing terminal, but it was a headache for the first few days. Depending on how and where your help gets built, this probably won't be an issue for you--just something to consider (I didn't)....

Also, if you're really worried about the transition, make a copy of your RH5 project, download an eval of RH7, and test to your heart's content. I did this before upgrading and I'm very glad I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2008 May 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the information and the experience-based advice. We've actually already purchased RH 7, but I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there who had experienced any issues (either serious or just annoying) before I took the plunge and went ahead and installed RH 7. Also, since I'm upgrading from a couple versions back, I wanted to be especially cautious. One of the main reasons for moving to RH 7, aside from wanting to stay as up-to-date on the version I was using as possible, was because I recently updraded to Office (Word) 2007 and found out I could no longer create print documentation from RH (aside from copying and pasting everything into the Word doc, which I had to do out of necessity over the past couple months - doable, but quite the pain). I also had to upgrade to the latest version of Acrobat, since the older version I had (6.0) was incompatible with Word 07. Leave it to Microsoft!

Thanks again for all the info.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2008 May 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Dave.

All I'd suggest is make sure you download and install the latest RH7 patch installed. Then make a backup of your projects and work away. As others have justified, RH7 works well with projects created in earlier versions. Should you hit any problemettes, you can post them here. You can bet that someone else has previously hit it and more than likely found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp