• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-create TOC

Explorer ,
May 05, 2008 May 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I want to do (currently using RH X5.02 RoboHelp HTML running on XP SP2):

1.In the Project Manager, set up my folders in NON-alphabetic order, like this:

File
Employee
Reports
Programs

NOT
Employee
File
Programs
Reports

and also set up the topics in non-alphabetic order.

2. Go to the TOC Composer and click "Auto-create TOC" and have RoboHelp automatically create the TOC in the order in which the folders and topics are organized (not alphabetic).

3. With each revision (add or remove topic) to the TOC, be able "auto-generate" the TOC without any tweaking required.

Currently, RH only allows me to list the folders alphabetically, which means that I have to rearrange the books (generated from folders) when I auto-generate the TOC. Tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't an "auto" button imply "automatically do something with almost no tweaking required"?

Sure, I can do this by assigning numbers to the folders in the Project Manager, then removing those numbers from the book names in the generated TOC, but it seems like that shouldn't be necessary. I've also "auto-created" a TOC when the project is "complete", then added/deleted pages and books to it as topics are added or deleted.

Thanks,
Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2008 May 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, can't be done.

But what's the difference workwise in setting up the folders and files to suit and setting up the TOC to suit?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 06, 2008 May 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I believe the auto-generation of the TOC was always intended as a one-off time saver that was only meant to eliminate the drag&drop process to initially populate the TOC.

I can't imagine ever trusting any tool to intelligently structure my TOC in exactly the correct format, particularly over and over as you seem to envision. In addition, I don't think I ever worked on a help project in which the TOC did not experience constant tweaking as the product evolved and more reviewers returned comments. I would never ask the RH tool to do this for me.

And why would you want to constantly have an auto-generate performed after you've structured it properly? Only "as topics are added or deleted"? Seems like overkill.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp