• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Parsing the JPEG Data??

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I receiving the error "Could not complete your request because of an problem parsing the JPEG data" when I try to open photo files in Elements editor (7.0)? I was able to open these files in Photoshop a few weeks ago and now I get an error. This is occurring for many of my files. How do I correct this? Please help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

I have found a solution, however, only for MAC users:

Step 1:  Download the image to your "downloads" folder. 

Step 2:  Open your "Photos" program on your MAC.  (I currently run OS El Capitan)

Step 3:  Go into your "File" menu, and scroll down to "Import"

Step 4:  When the window opens, go to your "Downloads" folder that you saved your photo in.  Click on the name of your photo.

Step 5:  After your photo opens, go back to the "File" menu, but this time click "Export".  It will have an arrow that go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Found a very quick method to sort for windows users. Open the file that doesnt work in the standard windows picture viewer, rotate the image, close, rotate back and close again. Will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 168 Replies 168
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your JPG files may have become corrupted.  Do you still have the original PSDs?  What about Bridge?  Are you able to open them in Bridge?  Or with another image application such as Preview on the Mac or Windows Photo on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to open them everywhere else. The only workaround I've found so far is to open them and then use the snipping tool to create a new jpeg. Obviously this is less than ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a post on a site about trashing the Photoshop Preferences or resetting them.  While I don't suggest this if you have many presets, it is worth looking into as a possible solution.  Can you do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did it and restarted the program and it didn't work. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it was worth a shot.  I don't recall ever running into this problem myself but it seems there are other people online that have.  Perhaps you can use your favorite search engine and find some better answers that may actually solve what is at the root of your problem with the file format.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2015 May 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I tried to google before I came here and didn't have a ton of luck, but I'll give it another shot. Thanks so much for trying to help. I really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same problem but i update my Photoshop CC 2018 and now it is fine... Hope it will work for u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with downloaded JPGs on my Android/Samsung phone.  I copy them to my PC for safe keeping but I can not load, open, or edit them.  Paint and everything else WILL open them, I can SAVE them and then Photoshop will open then just fine?  Really annoying since PS is my primary program for display, launching and opening and editing.  Hope to see an answer here its OBVIOUSLY a Photoshop problem not my unique issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open your jpeg in any other app and then save it, now Photoshop should open it without an issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing is working for me.........snipping, renaming, jpg, png..................nothing. I'm about to download GIMP. This is nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest workaround I have found is to open the images in Google Chrome and then copy to Photoshop via File- New- Image via clipboard. Works every time and loses no image quality I discern. The problem seems to be mainly Facebook and Instagram files. I suspect it is something in their conversion during upload to their sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PS team, we shall definitely get this error message resolved.

Customers are able to open such images in the other Softwares but not in PS. If the file is corrupted, then we shall display an appropriate error message to the user and should not restrict them from opening such images in PS.

This is an EPV , but I can see that a lot of our customers are facing these issues.

Regards,

Neeraj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years later, and still no fix, even though they said they were going to XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 and still having the problem.  I have a trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2023 and at this point i find myself wondering why would I purchace it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had this problem before  (5 years using PS) and now this happens and I cannot fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please.  This is frustrating.  I just got a new computer and, didn't have enough space.  Now, I can't even put pictures on here.  I never had these issues before.   Do I need to return this computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin.  I have Photoshop Elements, not Photoshop, but this video from You Tube will walk you through some steps to update the registry file on your system (assuming you have a Windows PC).  This appears to be a Photoshop bug...I don't think it is your computer.  It worked well for me:  Photoshop Error - because there is not enough Memory(RAM)| How to Solve - YouTube

frustrating indeed!

ag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

It is not because things are difficult we do not dare, it is because we do

not dare that they are difficult.

Seneca

Kevin Kearney

206-227-7003

customdogpictures.com

custompictures.net

emeraldcitypuppypower.com

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 8:44 PM armandog15889631 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, it worked for me also!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\15.0\OverridePhysicalMemoryMB = xxxx (dec), where xxxx is around the physical memory of the machine.

With 4GB, I put 4000

hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be an issue with a lot of Photoshop users on many platforms.  It has been 5 years since this posted.  I do not want a "workaround" I want this bug fixed please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded my Instagram photos using the website instaport.me. The JPEGs open fine in any app other than Photoshop -- this includes posting to the web and viewing in Chrome, in Preview, etc. But on every file Photoshop CC gives the error "Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the JPEG data." The only workarounds I could find online are people individually resaving the photos through another app, but that's not an option with hundreds of photos to process. When will this be fixed? Or is there a better workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue involving photos downloaded from insta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same thing as dt51289933 where I had saved Instagram photos as JPGs from Google Chrome using Developer Tool. Strangely, PShop does open some of the older photos that I saved but not the newer ones. I have JUST installed the Adobe CC 2014 version on a brand new 64 bit system and could open these same photos last week in Adobe CS6 Photoshop that was on my older 32-bit Win7 PC.

I also use a great little quick program on PC called 'XnView for super quick image handling and have it set to be the default viewer for JPGs. I disabled that option with no effect on the Photoshop problem. I also tried to upgrade the drivers on my video card and monitors. Then I did updates on Photoshop with no resolution. These photos open in every other image program and all internet browsers. Why can't Photoshop "parse the JPEG data" ?!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another bit of evidence to add is that I can open these same problem JPG files with Camera Raw. And if I go to Camera Prefs and change those, they wil automatically open in Camera Raw when sending them to Photoshop. Funky huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines