Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pop-up outside the parent window

New Here ,
May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
The company I work for has a proprietary help system that I would like to emulate using RoboHelp. The main help window consists of the TOC and Topic panels and is quite narrow... the topic panel being about the same width as the TOC.
However, screen illustrations are shown in auto-sizing pop-ups outside the main window, so they don't get in the way of the text. I have not found a way of replicating this effect in RoboHelp - the autosizing prop-ups seem to be limited to the size of the parent window, and the "display in Frame - New Window" option displays the image in a browser window... toolbars and menus included... not pretty.

Any ideas as to how this can be accomplished?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008
In that case I fear your options are somewhat limited. If you could persuade the powers that be to have a wiser topic pane you could use custom sized popup links to the screen shots. Other than that, you could have a TOC book at the bottom with a space as a title that contains the screen shot topics. As it doesn't have a title people may not use it. Maybe you could even use an image for the book icon that is completely blank which would hide it from the user. Is this a sledgehammer and nut scena...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dkeeling and welcome to the RH community.

Can you tell us what type of output you are creating (e.g. Webhelp, CHM) as the answer depends on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Thanks for the welcome! I realise that I need to change my screen name - dkeeling is a little vague.

In terms of output, I would prefer to produce a .CHM, though Webhelp might be an acceptable alternative if the result is more attractive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Duncan. I didn't see your name at the bottom so just referred to your logon.

To be honest the decision on whether you ouptut a CHM or collection of webhelp files has nothing to do with how you open topics. It does have everything to do with where the help will be located. If you want the help to be installed locally on each user's hard drive then a CHM file is the way to go. If you want to have a central repository (e.g. a server or website) for the help where each person goes to get it, then webhelp is the way to go.

So assuming you are outputing a CHM. You can create a custom window and then assign this to the TOC page you wish to open from the TOC. The first step is to create your custom window. You do this by right clicking on the Windows folder in your Project tab and selecting the "New Window" menu item. Create the window as you require (e.g. Tri-pane settings, etc.). Then create your topic to which you will link and add it to the TOC. Then right click on the TOC entry and select "Properties". In there click on the Advanced tab and specify the window name you created in the first step. Compile and test. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem Colum, the signature was a bit of an after-thought.

However, the problem is a little more complex...

The base topic is listed in the TOC. I want to add a clickable link in the base topic, displaying a screen image in a pop-up window outside of the source (parent) topic window. The only way that I can see that being done, is to select the "New Frame" radio button, with the New Window option. I don't want to add the screen capture file to the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case I fear your options are somewhat limited. If you could persuade the powers that be to have a wiser topic pane you could use custom sized popup links to the screen shots. Other than that, you could have a TOC book at the bottom with a space as a title that contains the screen shot topics. As it doesn't have a title people may not use it. Maybe you could even use an image for the book icon that is completely blank which would hide it from the user. Is this a sledgehammer and nut scenario.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I thought that these were probably the only options. I downloaded a trial version of Robohelp 7 to see if there were other options but, sadly, this remains unchanged.

Thanks for your input Colum. Two heads are better than one ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Duncan. You could submit a change request to Adobe for this. I'm sure there are others out there who would value such functionality. You can submit a request via this link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp