Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cold Fusion is Dead

May 06, 2008 May 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 12+ years of using ColdFusion, I am sorry to say that our company is saying "goodbye".

1. Poor (to no) support (really poor) - this forum has 39 people on it right now - compare it to SQLServerCentral - horrible.

2. Memory leaks - everywhere you read - our servers are crashing weekly (at a minimum) after upgrading to Version 8 - big mistake - lots of headaches.

Bottom line - Adobe didn't want Cold Fusion. They had no choice, Macromedia had already purchased Allaire. Cold Fusion is a "red headed" step-child in the Adobe house - even Adobe wishes it would just go away.

Our customers DEMAND more from us than Cold Fusion can deliver.
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008
Oh no! We're not at this again are we? Listen dude, if you can't get ColdFusion 8 to work, you should pack it in and be an accountant or something. I'm not sure what you're complaining about support for, your user account registers two posts - one of which is this one! Seriously, how hard could you have possibly tried? There could be a million reasons why your servers are crashing weekly - #1 culprit is probably your code. Have you tried turning on crash protection to stop the crashing? I'm gonn...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

troll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, please, don't start. You begin badly with version 8 instead of 801 and 2 forum posts in 12+ years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post seems to reveal more about your company than it does about Adobe or ColdFusion, since there are plenty of shops that make ColdFusion work for them on a daily basis.

Why you would admit to such a thing is bit of a puzzle, though. Smart move not to mention your company by name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think CF is a reasonably good product. It's got lots of issues, but overall, I'd give it a B.

I do agree with the support comment, though. There really is none from Adobe. Of course, there wasn't any from Macromedia either, so nothing's really changed. The user community is really the only venue for support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99% of how well CF runs for you depends on your system administration and developer skills...If you know what your doing, it will run great for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ToBeNamedLater wrote:
>
> I do agree with the support comment, though. There really is none from Adobe.
> Of course, there wasn't any from Macromedia either, so nothing's really
> changed. The user community is really the only venue for support.
>

I don't know if Adobe's support problem is ColdFusion specific. I
remember even before Adobe acquired ColdFusion experiencing horrible run
arounds and misunderstandings trying to get technical support for Adobe
products. But there is definitely a lack of ColdFusion understanding at
the initial support level.

That is why I try to spread this posting by Ben Forta as much as
possible. At least until somebody tells me it no longer applies.

http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm/2007/10/9/ColdFusions-Dedicated-Account-Managers

I know the last time we needed Adobe support for our CF products, we
went straight to these folks and it worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comparing the traffic on SQLServerCentral to traffic on this board rveals a lot about your ability to rationalize and think comprehensively. If you can't fathom why your comparison is faulty then there is no wonder you are having a hard time with CF!

Following your logic, there is a lot more traffic on eBay than there is on SQLServerCentral. Ergo eBay is better than SQLServerCentral.

Get it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree support is very poor for commercial small account based on personal experience (also, the 99% argument, sorry to say, is full of ego justifiable or not, I don't know, but if you really want to stand by your statement, I'll just post one question for you).

Gov account might be ok because their customers just pay what Adobe demands (it's really your bucks and mine too to a tiny degree).

From a community point of view, honestly I don't know if there's anything we can do to sway the picture a bit. Adobe's strategy seems to use first class resources for sales/marketing (look at the PDF stuff everywhere especially gov sites regardless of merits or not) and secondary resources for products and everything else...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh no! We're not at this again are we? Listen dude, if you can't get ColdFusion 8 to work, you should pack it in and be an accountant or something. I'm not sure what you're complaining about support for, your user account registers two posts - one of which is this one! Seriously, how hard could you have possibly tried? There could be a million reasons why your servers are crashing weekly - #1 culprit is probably your code. Have you tried turning on crash protection to stop the crashing? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "no", you haven't.

Good luck pushing pencils.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation