• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No more swf import with Premiere Pro CC 7.1 ?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

After upgrading Premiere Pro CC to 7.1 I am not able to import swf files, and previous projet with swf files consider them as offline. Is it just a bug with my install or did this feature has been avoided ?

Thanks for your help,

Best Regards,

Sébastien

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

After Effects still recognizes swf files, so these steps actually might be better for you:

1. Import SWF in After Effects, create a composition
  2. Open Premiere Pro and import the .aep (After Effects project file) timeline that contains the .swf
  3. Do what you always used to do

It is one extra step, and an annoying one for sure based on your old workflow, but you should be able to save your second transcoding step, which will save you time and increase the final output quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd guess that this feature has been dropped. That is a guess though.

There is an Export Video option in Flash, but I'm not sure how long it's been there, nor how good of a job it would do in your case.

File > Export > Export Video

In my quick test, it does seem to export animating movie clips properly.

Maybe this will help you out? Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He is referring to import, not export.

I think we are still waiting for clarification from staff: both flv and swf appear to no longer be supported with the 7.1 update, or there's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He was definitely referring to import.

I was trying to say that, instead of trying to import an swf directly, you may want to go into Flash and export the fla file as a movie instead. Then you can import that. I know it's an extra step, and it sucks... but it might be what Adobe wants you to do from now on.

Flash is a dying breed, and I'm sure they'll eventually drop support. It seems a little soon to drop it though, in my opinion.

I'd definitely want to hear from staff, too. But in the meantime, you might want to try exporting video directly from within Flash, rather than importing/editing an swf in an Premiere Pro directly, to see if that's a viable workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah well, after upgrading to CC I have been less impressed with the performance of Flash, Illustrator and Premieres, the 3 main softwares i used, so NO, Flash is not a dying breed, there are still many studios out there that uses flash as an animation software.

The whole reason of using an ADOBE products was the seamless workflow between each software, but this doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I used to be able to export vector file from flash and import to Illustrator, but this IMPORTANT feature seemed to have been deleted, and now I can't even import SWF files into Premieres!!

Instead of an upgrade, I feel like loosing features is more of a downgrade.

I am now contemplating of downgrading again to CS6, even drawing was a lot smoother in flash CS6

I am greatly disappointed with ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CC Suite and I feel greatly ignored by Adobe as a user. Take this thread – it's been on for a while and yet there is no response from the Adobe representatives. I guess their only goal nowadays is to eat the whole market. More and more alternatives to Adobe's products are available, like Sketch or Affinity Designer. If Adobe continues to ignore their user's needs I will be the first to leave.

Bring back the swf import, please !!!

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well say, many think flash is dying, flash actually switched from flash to animate cc, it s still a great animation software to use, those who said flash is dying are people who use toonboom and other animation softwares, they are afraid of flash saying it's difficult, i learnt toomboom later in life, i was not impressed, beside the camera movement, i found many features flash got and toonboom does not have, alsothe features toonboom got, flash does not, as long as i can produce my animatiin, im happy, i think flash/animate cc is stil a great animation tool for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lord, me too! I am pretty ticked off about this, as I have two projects that contain swf files...Are we the only ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sebastien,

Please check the link below.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/premiere-pro-cannot-import-flv.html

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya,

I am assuming you this applies to swf as well?

Why would they suddenly drop this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your help and all your answers. It was very helpufull to import SWF directly inside Premiere Pro and to add other video elements around the SWF in the timeline. SWF is a small file, it is very fast to export SWF in Flash, and so to update and Premiere Pro timeline if we need some change in the SWF animation.

I am using this workflow for cartoon for children. My graphic designer for this cartoon is only able to use Flash, and it is a good way beacause we are also able to create a SWF export in an html page. Video Export in Flash is really bad, for example it is unable to export embeded clips so you have to only use graphic symbol and never clip symbols (but same problems if you import SWF in Premiere Pro or After Effects). Flash video export is also bad compared to presets used in Adobe Media Encoder Premiere Pro and After Effects.

So, because now Premiere Pro CC 7.1 is not able to import SWF, the best way to export SWF to video for me:

2. Export the composition with Adobe Media Encoder, for example H264 around 25Mb/s like AVCHD

3. Import these videos files in Premiere Pro and replace our SWF with the video files instead.

Best Regards,

Sébastien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects still recognizes swf files, so these steps actually might be better for you:

2. Open Premiere Pro and import the .aep (After Effects project file) timeline that contains the .swf
  3. Do what you always used to do

It is one extra step, and an annoying one for sure based on your old workflow, but you should be able to save your second transcoding step, which will save you time and increase the final output quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to import flv files as usual.  I thought one of the purposes of the "Cloud" was to facilitate, not to take something away without any warning. 

Please restore this abillity!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please restore this abillity!!!

Click here to make a Feature Request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man this ticks me off....

It seems Adobe CC has gotten worse.

Why do they keep down-grading!

Why did you remove SWF support??

Flash isn't dead you know!!!!

arrrrhhh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really glad i found this thread as this was starting to really confuse me. I also have legacy animations that i've previously imported SWF into premiere and edited.

How irritating!

thanks for the After Effects tip.

So are we all supposed to use Edge for animation now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! Especially since sf plays with After Effects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link shows that this is for flv files, what about swf files, will this feature be restored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.

1. Export Flash animation as video (Export > Export Video). It become a large .mov file format.
  2. Open Adobe Media Encoder and import (or drag) your .mov file into the queue
  3. Select output file to be a .F4V file (found in the Preset panel under Web Video > Flash). I choose the Match Source Attributes High Quality F4V
  4. Click the Start encoding button (the arrow). The .mov becomes a much smaller .F4V file format.
  5. Import your F4V into Premiere.

A few extra steps, but it worked. I even went as far as to Import the .F4V into Captivate and it worked fine there also.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the audio will not work when importing the swf into Premiere, a work around is Exporting the audio from Flash as a wav file, as well as exporting the swf. Bring the separate video and audio files into Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pretty unacceptable since I specifically asked the sales guy online if Premiere still supports SWF import before I purchased the entire suite today and he said yes it does! Flash is not a dying breed since we use it to animate and build rich media every single day not to mention corporate videos etc. Can you guys please work on a codec and get this working again, and using AE is not a solution that means for every single clip (about 30+) I now have to create a unique AE comp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to see this feature back too!

Sometimes some animations are so much more easy to do in flash and nicer too. So this feature of importing a swf into premiere file was a big plus for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jasmina,

Would like to see this feature back too!

Sometimes some animations are so much more easy to do in flash and nicer too. So this feature of importing a swf into premiere file was a big plus for me.

Make your voice heard here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.swf functionality was a great way to import crisp vector graphics and video directly into Premiere Pro, why would it be removed as a feature. Sure it didn't import sound but that was easily remedied by exporting audio separately.

I'm disappointed Adobe, bring back your cross compatibility!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines