• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is this 3 minute 4K video taking 24 hours to export?

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a complete Premiere newbie, so I am still learning how to do this, but even I know that a 3 minute 4K video should not take 24 hours to export.

Here's some information on the situation:

Export settings:

Using H.264 format with the YouTube 4K preset.

Capture.PNG

Applied FX:

Little correction to exposure, contrast, saturation, etc.

Used Lumetri color to apply LUT

Denoiser II at 200%

Added a soundtrack mp3 file

Using one adjustment layer for color grading and another adjustment layer to create a crop effect

Added a couple text titles

Slowed down one clip to 20% speed

Source Footage:

Slog2 XAVCS 60Mbps 4K video in a .mp4 format

Frame size: 3840 x 2160

Bitrate: 56722kbps

Frame rate: 24p

PC Specs:

i5-4790K

Radeon HD 7950 GPU

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 10

600W power supply

Let me know if you need any more information on my project, and I would appreciate any guidance at all! I am so completely new at this so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

TOPICS
Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Hello noahthomas,

but even I know that a 3 minute 4K video should not take 24 hours to export.

It might.

First of all, I just created a FAQ for those having the same trouble as you. Please read it and see what you think: FAQ: How do I speed up rendering, exporting, or encoding?

My evaluation for why it might be taking a long time to export your rather short project:

1. Hardware considerations
    1. CPU: encoding is a CPU intensive process.
      1. Consider that your processor might be insufficiently powerful for e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

noahthomas03 wrote:

PC Specs:

i5-4790K

Radeon HD 7950 GPU

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 10

600W power supply

An i5 processor, only 8 GB RAM, and Radeon graphics is probably part of the reason.

What is your hard drive setup (how many, what kind, how full, and what is on each)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with those specs, which really are not bad, it should not be taking 24 hours to export a 3 minute video.

I have a 7200rpm 500GB HDD with 250GB remaining, filled with a ton of random stuff, mostly games,

and a 60GB SSD where I have Premiere and Windows installed. About 20GB remaining on the SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to scroll down and read the articles here:

Tweakers Page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also mention I am using two monitors. Both plugged into the GPU. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peru Bob,

Noah is using Denoiser II on 4K Long GOP footage. That is the likely cause, I think. Denoiser of any kind always has that effect.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, Kevin. good.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video DeNoiser plug-ins take FOREVER on HD video on a FAST machine. You have an underpowered rig, and are working with 4K, so you can expect exponentially longer render time for DeNoising. Plus the other effects added...sorry. If this is going to be a normal workflow moving forward, you'll need to build a monster computer.

Just to get an idea of what DeNoiser is adding to the mix, turn it off and try the export again. You may be quite surprised.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello noahthomas,

but even I know that a 3 minute 4K video should not take 24 hours to export.

It might.

First of all, I just created a FAQ for those having the same trouble as you. Please read it and see what you think: FAQ: How do I speed up rendering, exporting, or encoding?

My evaluation for why it might be taking a long time to export your rather short project:

1. Hardware considerations
    1. CPU: encoding is a CPU intensive process.
      1. Consider that your processor might be insufficiently powerful for encoding 4K footage at the rate you expect.
      2. Consider also that you may not have multiple processors as many computers do.
    2. GPU: the GPU can be used to speed up certain processes for export.
      1. Consider that your GPU may not be enabled.
        1. Since you have a GPU which can likely be enabled for GPU acceleration, ensure that it is enabled in Project Settings.
        2. If you are using AME, make sure it is enabled there, as well.
    3. Hard Drive: fast hard drives can assist faster exporting.
      1. Are you using a separate hard drive?
      2. If so, is it internal or external?
      3. How is that drive connected?
        1. Is the hard drive connected via a high speed connection or a slow one?
  2. Optimized media
    1. Is your media optimized for encoding?
      1. No scaling going on: good. However, you are encoding for a huge frame size. Take into consideration that actual frame size you are encoding.
      2. You are encoding camera original footage, so the smart rendering process cannot be used for speeding up the encoding process unless it was transcoded.
      3. You are adding Lumetri effects, which can add time in the encoding process.
        1. Technique to avoid that issue: transcode camera originals to an intermediate codec while simultaneously adding the same Lumetri effect via Media Encoder before editing.
      4. You are using third party effects: some third party effects are well-known for greatly increasing export times. Any image denoiser like Neat or Denoiser II are particularly notorious for jacking up your export times. This is the likely culprit of your long export times.
        1. A good way to work around this time intensive process is to transcode the footage to an intermediate codec with the denoiser plug-ins in Adobe Media Encoder.
        2. Do this in an overnight process before you even begin editing. Offloading the processing of effects you know you will be using up front can save loads of encoding time in the end.
    2. Are you using smart rendering?
      1. You are not using smart rendering, therefore, you cannot export the absolute fastest way Premiere Pro is capable of.
      2. You can use smart rendering in future encoding jobs, however, much of the benefits of smart rendering cannot be taken advantage of unless you are allowing for it in the preparatory stages of project planning. Again, see the FAQ for more info on smart rendering and how it can save you time while being a more reliable way of exporting at the same time.

Hope that this helps you for your encoding job and for future encodes. Please return with any questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a quick question for you, Kevin:

How exactly do I transcode camera originals to an intermediate codec while simultaneously adding the Lumetri effect and denoiser via AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Noah,

How exactly do I transcode camera originals to an intermediate codec while simultaneously adding the Lumetri effect and denoiser via AME?

Good question. If you only needed to add a Lumetri look, you can do that directly in AME with "effects." You can't add third party effects like Denoiser II directly to AME, though. You'd need to import a clip into its own Timeline, add the effects, then add the sequence to the AME queue. Run it overnight. Edit with the resulting footage the next day. See if that works better for you.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what would be a good intermediate codec for what I am working with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in need of an intermediate file, to do more editing on, about the best that you can do is use one of the lossless CODEC's, like Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless. Both are free, and both are good, but the file sizes WILL be large. Prepare for that. One would just download and install one of those CODEC's, and reboot. Then in Export/Share, they would choose MS AVI, and under Compressor, would look in the drop-down list for the Lagarith, or the UT Lossless CODEC. The file format will be .AVI, and contain the lossless CODEC. Those files will then Import into the video-editing program, or compositing program, with no loss in quality. This will eliminate one compression stage, and improve overall quality. The fewer compression steps, the better the final output.

from here:

Re: Intermediate Files - Maintaining Ultimate Quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peru Bob,

CODEC's, like Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless.

While these codecs are excellent (and free!), I do not believe that these codecs are supported for smart rendering. You want to use one of the formats mentioned in my blog. For example, ProRes and DNxHD. The advantage here is to save as much time as possible in the encoding process.

If I am incorrect about Lagarith or UT, please let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does ProRes and DNxHD support 4K though? This is where I am having a hard time understanding your recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noah,

Does ProRes and DNxHD support 4K though?

Yes, they do. That's why they're good for transcoding. If you are uploading to YouTube, you can maintain the 4K frame size.

However, do you need 4K? What is the intended destination of the video? Answering that question will help you determine how you transcode.

For example, if you don't need 4K and HD would work for you, then you transcode to HD frame size. This scales down the frame to the right size for HD with all the accouterments you need, allowing an even faster method for encoding.

Hope that helps more than confuses.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC users cannot export to ProRes

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I think I suggested that earlier. Should have corrected myself when the OP asked about it again. Thanks!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noah,

Also, what would be a good intermediate codec for what I am working with?

I would test both GoPro Cineform and DNxHD using short clips (since you are on PC). If you were on a Mac, either of these are OK, plus you could also try ProRes. I don't recommend ProRes workflow with PC as the possibilities for workflow are more limited, and the other codecs are equal in quality (if not better).

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there any answer to this issue? I have been trying everything you guys recommended.

I need to finish one video for ProTrampolines.com and I`m stuck for last 12 hours! Anyone has any other answers?

thank you in advance.

Nino A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nino,

If you're going to edit 4K and export as 4K on a slow machine and use DeNoiser....it will take a very long time, there is no easy solution.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, this also happens with me, when I edit my 3-4 video to post on my Hindi Shayari Website. this says that the remaining time is in 10-15 hours and I applied many methods but cannot rid from this problem.Adobe work on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines