Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging Several CHM files at Runtime

May 13, 2008 May 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software system I am documenting is very modular and can be customized and packaged using different components for each installation. I would like to create a modular help system for this product that would merge about 20-30 CHM files at runtime. This would allow us to replace the help when a specific feature has been updated without overwriting the entire help system.

I have found a few websites that cover runtime merging with files stored on a server, but since our software is installed in factory settings, there are often strict limits on server or Internet-based applications. I am trying to find a way to merge the files that are stored on the local computer when the help is started. I did find one site (helpware.com) that provides details on how to do this using Microsoft HTML HELP Workshop. But I'm having trouble using that method with CHM files that have been created in RoboHelp.

Has anyone ever done this? Is there someone at Adobe who might be able to provide some tips on how this might be done (if it can be done at all)? I'm using the Tech Comm Suite to port my content from FrameMaker, and would LOVE to use Adobe products for building the entire system.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kim Babinski

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 13, 2008 May 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about RH7, but X5 has a section on HTML Help under the Projects > Merging Projects section.

Also, searching the RoboHelp for HTML sub-forum (this one) for "merging chms" returns 11 results.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2008 May 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In additional to Leon's advice you can check out John Daigle's site for merged CHM tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2008 May 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Going out on a limb here, do you actually need to merge projects at all?

Might be worth considering having a module of help for each module of software that's a standalone project.

If you need an overview then create a simple top level project with links to the chms for that particular installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp