2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 6:11 PM by travelsignposts

Increase in CC subscriptions due to Adobe transfer billing

travelsignposts

Why doesn't Adobe warn all Australians paying by Visa that their CC subscriptions will be increased by 3% due to Adobe billing them from Ireland? An automatic "Foreign Transaction Fee" is now applied to all bills coming from abroad, i.e. Ireland in Adobe's case. This has been applied from March in the case of Westpac, but I gather it is common to all Australian banks. I don't know whether this is true elsewhere. It applies even though I am billed in Australian dollars and Adobe (like Google) has an Australian company presence.

Adobe has refunded me the couple of additional charges so far, but until they provide a different means of payment that does not attract the surcharge, they should at least be honest enough to acknowledge it in their advertising.

• 1. Re: Increase in CC subscriptions due to Adobe transfer billing
          JP2577 Level 1

Did I get that right you actually received a refund of the banks 'International Transaction Fee' from Adobe. This is the first month I have been charged the fee and looking at your explanation I think you are right on the money, pardon the pun. Also very coincident that I just received the email to say the subscription rate is also going up from $49.99 to $57.99 AUD. It is strange that the dollars has fluctuated all these years and suddenly 'foreign exchange rate fluctuations' have caused this increase.

• 2. Re: Increase in CC subscriptions due to Adobe transfer billing
            travelsignposts Level 1

That's correct, they refunded me for the first few charges after I'd complained, (I believe no-one had any idea what I was talking about. But then I (and I suspect Adobe too) found out that this "foreign transaction fee" was put in place by Westpac (and I gather, other banks) on all such transactions, even though the amount paid was in AUD. So no more refunds.

Like you, I have recently received an increase notice, which will I suppose have the 3% added to it as usual by Westpac. So that's a 16% rise, or should I say a 16.48% rise to add Westpac's foreign transaction fee pound of flesh.

Not happy, Jan, to quote a well-known Australian saying.