• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Bezier Handles

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying out After Effects CC and doing a simple position animation with an easy eased keyframe. I'm hping to adjust the bezier handles in the Graph editer as I've done a thousand time but I can't get them to appear. Am i missing a check box or something somewhere?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

They changed the defaults to show the value graphs, which for position don't have handles, since one would edit the path in the comp Split the properties or switch to the temporal graph.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They changed the defaults to show the value graphs, which for position don't have handles, since one would edit the path in the comp Split the properties or switch to the temporal graph.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Reply  - Splitting the properties does the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey bud, I have the same problem and still can't find a solution, pathetic thing is I've been working with AE since CS2.

Some compositions I have handles on my masks and some I don't...it's weird and driving me crazy.

What does split the properties mean? and how do I do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if the masks are locked in the composition where the handles aren't showing. Also, check the Composition Wing menu's View Options to be sure that masks are turned on in the Layer Controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am missing my bezier handles in the graph editor as well on position keyframes.

What does it mean to split the properties and how do I switch to a temporal graph?

Thank you.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just right click on the Position property of the layer in the timeline.  Choose "Separate Dimensions."

Switch the graph in the little dropdown menu at the bottom of the graph editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, this did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? How is it better than it was? What does it do except adding a step to get the handles AND having the dimensions separated when you don't need it, forcing you to have more key frames than you want???!!! I don't get it. I guess it makes something else more comfortable but what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously.  WTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doing what Adobe does. They now have to justify constant yearly releases, and have confused 'different' with 'better'. And they are not interested in your opinion, or mine.

I try to use their products as little as possible in my workflow, now. Nuke FTW (although I would still use AE for pure mograph...begrudgingly)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they want to improve it, they should make it easier to use. I wish I weren't forced to use adobe products because the endless useless version updates where all they do is move everything to the left and add another hoop to jump through has gotten so old buzzards have started circling their hq.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GOT IT. Go to Window > Mask Interpolation. Uncheck "Use Linear Vertex Paths".

curves.JPG

You're welcome Internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Garlic guy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it worked by clicking right on the point, "interpolation of key images" and changing the two first lines to bezier instead of linear !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found how to add Bezier Handles in After Effects CC 2018. You just have to click here:

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 5.17.58 PM.png

Bezier Handles Work 2.png

Bezier Handles Work 3.png

The button is called: Separate Dimensions.

I hope that this works for you, it worked for me

couragepassion.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be missing something with this, but, when I 'Separate Dimensions', an other wise simple ease on my 'Position' movement, seems to go out of whack, and get somewhat unwieldy.

I don't seem able to keep my actual movement linearly. Is anyone else encountering this?

I understand the purpose of having the separate control over X,Y,Z, but wish I could simply add an easy to my A to B movement.Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 11.58.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-07 at 11.58.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7 years later and this is still relevant. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing the speed graph for Position is almost always a better idea than trying to edit the value graph. The value graph controls what the motion path looks like and that is a lot easier to manipulate with the Pen Tool in the Composition Panel. Here's the first draft of a tutorial that is going to be part of a new series I am producing. Maybe it will be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is going to the pen tool menu and use convert vertex tool. It did the job for me but the downside is the bezier handles appear on both sides instead of on the single side as you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the pen tool convert vertex tip.  One of our new M1 iMacs wouldn't produce bezier handles on the motion path of footage items in the composition window, and this did the trick.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines