• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iMac screen blacks out momentarily (flickers, blinks, flashes, etc) when using photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video I filmed clearly showing it in action: iMac screen flashing/flickering issue with Photoshop - YouTube

OS X El Capitan version 10.11.1

Specs:

Retina 4K, 21.5 - inch, Late 2015

3.1GHz Intel Core i5

16GB RAM

Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536MB

Screen goes black momentarily when I either move my cursor around or click on the keyboard/trackpad. It does it when my tablet isn't even plugged in, and it does it also when i have my cintiq 12wx plugged in, so I don't think it's a wacom issue. Only does this when Photoshop is the app currently selected, doesn't happen when it's minimized or closed, making me suspect it's a Photoshop/Adobe issue. Doesn't seem to happen with Flash CC, but I can't be 100%certain. It does the same thing in my older Photoshop CS5, I only downloaded Photoshop CC because I thought it wouldn't happen in a newer version, but the same thing occurs in both CS5 and CC. Extremely frustrating, and photoshop is basically impossible to use at this point. Spoke with apple support, have done a bunch of resets, and it still happens, so and they're telling me it's an Adobe problem... I called adobe but they were having tech issues on their end so they said they'd call me back but it's been an hour now so.. growing increasingly frustrated here.

I have a macbook pro from 2010 running on an OS before Yosemite and I don't have any of this flickering/blinking issue on that system. I'm suspicious it's a compatibility issue between apple's OS and adobe's software... Please help if you have any solutions!

THINGS I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:

-checking off the "use graphics card" option on photoshop in performances under preferences

-uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop, the tablet drivers

-updating the OS

-calling apple

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

May i know did you tried using the Photoshop with tablet driver uninstalled.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no I haven't, I will try that tonight and report back. I did try with out the tablet even plugged in though and it had the same glitch, but i will try uninstalling the driver and see if it's still giving me the same problem and report back asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other option is Adobe Camera Raw. GPU capability was added with version 9.0 and it's caused problems for some.

Try disabling it and rebooting.

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 9.31.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested it without the driver installed, and it still produces the same error! More than convinced now this is a photoshop specific issue....
i use Flash CC all day for work on the same computer and it doesn't have this issue at all, only the photoshop programs  (CC and CS5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the preferences of the Photoshop>performance click on "advanced settings"

Change the drawing mode to basic and un-check the option which says"Anti-Alias paths and guides"

Restart the Photoshop and try again.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that and didn't work...
Growing extremely frustrated and hopeless at this point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spent an hour on the phone this morning w Adobe, they could offer me no solution to my problem and could only say at the very end that "other people" have called into complain about similar issues while using photoshop with the latest imacs and the only thing to do is to wait for updates from Adobe or Apple in the future that will correct the compatibility issue.
Not impressed Adobe and Apple.. not impressed.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was last month, but I wonder if you found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with flickering screen in Photoshop cc2015. Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi keldchri,

I'm sorry you're having the same problem I had many LONG conversations with Adobe. The first person I spoke to said they'd not heard of this issue before - the last said many people are reporting the problem! In the end I was told that the 21.5" iMacs ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with Photoshop CC! He said the graphic processor isn't powerful enough and recommended an AMD Graphic Processor with at least 2GB. I was stunned as Photoshop was the only reason I bought the machine. Apple gave me a refund for the iMac in the end and I upgraded to the 27" which ships with the necessary card.

There are a couple of things that might work for you that worked for a friend of mine with the exact same set up and problem.

In the Performance section of the preferences menu uncheck the box that says 'use graphic processor' and restart PS.

if that's no good tick that box again and press on the advanced settings box and make sure 'use Open Cl' is unchecked. again try after restarting PS.

Best of luck. Hopefully you'll get sorted. let me know if it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

it is hard to accept and believe that Imac 4K video card would not be able to run Photoshop. I have a Macbook Pro but less strongly cards running with photoshop with ease . can only imagine that it is a compatibility problem and that there will be a solution at a time . As with Imac 5K which also had the problem with blinking screen that was resolved.

I've tried your tips and maybe it has improved a little . but in between there blink when I move the curser of toolbars

But thanks for your help anyway.

Kind regards Keldchri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions? - I just bought a 4k iMac (Feb 2016) and it flickers when using a brush of a decent size in photoshop. Do I need to return the mac? Does anyone have same problem with the 5k larger iMac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem also.  Narrowed it down to using brushes.  Thought it was specialty brushes, but turns out to be large brushes.   I purchased my 2015 iMac, 21.5 inch screen and 4T in December.   Very irritation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hell Everyone!

I'm experiencing the same issue, with the monitor blacking out momentarily in both InDesign CC and Illustrator CC.

I'm a user of:

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)

Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

purchased last December.

Upgraded from:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)

Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

I'm also using external monitor BenQ G2025HDA.

I was using the old iMac with the latest versions of OS and AdobeCC and the same monitor this issue wasn't there.

Does anyone know if there is any update on this issue?

My work requires the use of secondary monitors and the blinking issue makes it impossible on bigger projects.

Thank you in advance

Ania

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone!

I'm experiencing the same issue, with the monitor blacking out momentarily in both InDesign CC and Illustrator CC.

I'm a user of:

Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

purchased last December.

Upgraded from:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)

Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

I'm also using external monitor BenQ G2025HDA.

I was using the old iMac with the latest versions of OS and AdobeCC and the same monitor this issue wasn't there.

Does anyone know if there is any update on this issue?

My work requires the use of secondary monitors and the blinking issue makes it impossible on bigger projects.

I have also logged a Adobe bug report on this issues, however no updated has fixed the problem yet.

Thank you in advance

Ania

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on my setup, very frustrating:

El Capitan 10.11.1
Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

External monitor Yiynova MSP 19U tablet monitor - NO Wacom or Cintiq.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

same problem :

El Capitan 10.11.3

Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Same problem here:

El Capitan 10.11.3

Mac (Retina 4k, 21.5, purchased March 2016)

3.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB 1867 MHz DDR3

EDIT: Just updated OS to 10.11.4 and so far no flickers! Haven't work with PS today for long so can't confirm for sure but looks promising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2016 Apr 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this happen every single time I use Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom5. I can't even edit a single photo without the screen going totally black about 50 times (as if the video memory is being dumped over and over when I move my cursor).

I'm using El Capitan 10.11.4 as well, and that hasn't helped anything at all.

PLEASE fix this. Whether it is Adobe or Apple... I'm hoping that someone sees and acknowledges this. It needs to be fixed.

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

1TB Fusion Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep upgrade to 10.11.4 didn't resolve the issue for me too.

Can someone from Adobe support can acknowledge that you have replicated the issue on your end and you are working on resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some ideas:

The forums are basically user to users although Adobe Staff does drop in from time to. MVPs and ACPs are volunteer users and do speak for or make decisions for Adobe. Only those with Staff on the user-pic are Adobe Employees and they are Support.

Photoshop Family Customer Community will get you in touch with product managers and programmers. So be sure to post your concerns there.

Contact Customer Care is better in that Adobe Staff can remotely access your Mac and be better able to diagnose the problem.

And of course, check with Apple as well. The graphics cards and drivers are on their side and they might be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. I have created a post about this in the PFCC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a system like this but can't replicate it offhand. Is there a particular set of settings/operations that are required to trigger it? How big is the brush cursor? Which brush/tool? What color space? how big of document, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me with almost any photograph, with just about any brush size.  Try using the regular brush tool and then alt or option clicking to grab a color swatch. That triggers it for me 9 times out of 10. I see it just about every single time I run the cursor off the "edge" of the canvas, and into the info panels on the right hand side.

This issue has made photoshop and Lightroom almost unusable for me.

Take a look at this quick clip I recorded with my iPhone. It shows both instances I mentioned, above:  PS (& Lightroom) Issue on 4K iMac (Late 2015) - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines