• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content on the Books themselves

New Here ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New RoboHelp user here... I understand that pages contain the content of your help files, but can you also have a "page" appear when the user clicks on a book? Right now clicking on the book just opens or closes it. I've been asked to have a sort of summary for that book topic appear when a user clicks on the book.

thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, ameurope2

When you edit your Table of Contents, right-click the book and examine the properties. Notice you have a "Book with Link" option. Click to select this option and you will then be able to choose any topic you like that will display when the book is clicked by your user.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or, create a "summary" page that contains the book's pages and brief description of each (can save users from going down rat holes if the page titles aren't completely intuitive).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
... or did you know that you can set the properties of a build to single click to open books? To do this,

1. In project view, open Single Source layouts
2. Highlight the layout you want to modify
3. Right click on your selection and choose properties
4. In the window displayed click on Advanced.
5. In the Toc Styles tab check Single Click to open books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi again

To Leon: Thanks for bringing that bit up. Appreciate the assist! I forgot to include that. It is precisely how I advise folks to do this in the classroom.

To Author care: While that option is certainly valid for .CHM TOCs, I would also advise to enable a companion option. This one is the Plus-Minus squares. But notice you cannot enable that until you first enable the "Lines from root" option.

In the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop, the Single Click to open Books item is actually labeled differently. There, it is labeled "Only expand a single heading". This means if you are clicking the book to open it, all others normally close. Unless, of course, you use the Plus/Minus symbols to open and close them. Which is why I always consider it a best practice to enable the other options.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp