Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is <implicit_p>?

May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A CHM, built previously in v5 and currently in v7, does not show all the associated image files. There seems to be no relation to file type (using PNG, GIF, JPG, and some of all these types do/not display) or to size or to HTM file. It has gradually become more extensive. In RH, I can see the graphics. When I compile the CHM and test it, I can see the graphics. Only when I run the SW program that uses this CHM do I not see the graphics.

I looked at the code and didn't see anything, placed a duplicate image below a missing one, compiled, updated the user SW program, and now I see both graphics. AND now I can see this code tag. Reviewing source files, this tag definitely was not visible in the code.

Can anyone tell me what this tag does and why it would *appear*? Can I simply Find/Replace and forget about it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this part of the syntax for one of those dreaded Kadov tags? RH7 should have got rid of these but it sounds like the conversion didn't. I'd take a copy of your project and remove the said code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also check the HTML in the element(s) prior to this tag. You might find that RH has detected the absence of a closing tag above, and has helpfully decided that a P tag is implicit at the current location.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys. I presumed I had to find-replace to remove these tags. I'm primarily curious how to prevent this in the first place. I'll double-check the code. Entirely likely that an end tag is missing there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with my import. I get the implicit_p tag (open tag only!) when I was trying to put an image within an instruction list. Because I did not want it to have a bullet or number I put it within a tag. RoboHelp put in the implicit_p tag in front of the image. I was able to keep it from doing so if I put a break tag at the end of the lane before the image.

So what is the definition of a Kadov tag? I tried to Google it and got no answer. Were they created by one of the browser makers or by macromedia for RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2008 May 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kadov tags are something specific to RH and are used to render the WYSIWYG. They have been around for a long time - pre Macromedia days. I think there may even be those amonst us who may remember when Kadov tags were seen as the way forward with HTML before an alternative standard was accepted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Colum is absolutely correct in what he put forth.

I know, I know, so why my post? Well, the thing is, the kadov tagging is one of the things that folks have cringed at for years. They don't like the "extra" code bloat that it carries. (even though things seem to work fine with them in place). And it's one of the things the folks over at Madcap point their fingers at and call it bad (even though it's the SAME folks that put them there to begin with!)

I said all that to say that RoboHelp 7 improves the playing field tremendously by not using kadov tagging. Yay!

And a last side note: kadov is an anagram of vodka. I was trawling through some behind the scenes code of RoboHelp one day and actually came across a line that read: kadov not vodka.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the <implicit_p> tags, and verifying/inserting preceding closed tags didn't fix the missing image error. I was grasping at straws at that point.

Something is preventing images from showing in the CHM. On my local computer, in both RH and the compiled and viewed CHM, the images display. On another computer, where running the software program the CHM is for, the images don't show. This is now increasing from 5 pages in a book, to random pages throughout the project. Any ideas? Oh, and why does a PNG image file display in RH working file as a black smear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been well documented in this forum that PNG files play well in RH only if they've been created in a certain fashion. What that is, I'm not sure, but I think a search on PNG will bring up some of those earlier posts. Maybe the graphics app that was used, or whether they were converted, etc.?

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2008 Jun 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I'm not sure if you have found a solution to this, but the following might be helpful to you or maybe others in a similar position.
I have been having a similar issue where not all graphics have been displaying in my chm, and today have found a solution that works for me (not that the solution is great, but at least I get a correctly compiled output). This solution might work for you too??

Background:
I am currenlty using RoboHelp for Word (X5).
Previously we compiled to WinHelp, and now need to change to CHM. I have been trialling this using the HTML Help single source layout. Our graphics are stored in a number of directories.
For some reason all the graphics in 7 unrelated directories did not display in the chm output.

Solution 1 (partially worked):
I found this solution in the archives. The frustrating thing with this was that it would work for some directories but not others, and not always the same ones. However, this might work for you:
-On the RoboHelp Project Tab, navigate to the Image Folders (BMROOT) folder. Expand it and locate the directory in which the graphics are located.
- Right-click the directory and choose Properties.
- Even though the location path is displayed (assuming it is), browse for the directory location. (I found I had to go up one level in the path and then reselect the directory).
- Click OK until you are back to the Project tab.
- Save and generate the output.

Solution 2 (this one worked for me)
I copied all the graphics that weren't displaying and pasted them into the root bmp folder. I then saved the project, generated the HTML Help output and all graphics successfully displayed. Maybe this isn't ideal, but for me its a once off to get the project out the door.

Good luck
Cheers
Heather

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2008 Jun 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, just realised you are using RoboHelp for HTMLHelp! Still, maybe this might be useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2008 Jun 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The implicit tag is something that RH can apply on upgrading and is effectively a paragraph without any style definition. Has anyone tried removing the implicit and adding a closing </p> tag?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just on upgrade. I'm playing around in a brand new test project in RoboHelp 10, and I'm seeing < ?rh-implicit_p ? > tags in the source code for topics that I just created in RoboHelp (i.e. not imported, upgraded, or converted in any way).

I understand that it's a paragraph without any style definition.  What I don't understand is why RoboHelp defaults to a proprietary tag instead of just putting in a <p>  < /p> tag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it is how Rh deals with paragraphs where no style has been applied. If you click in paragraphs you can see the style in the style dropdown. For these paragraphs you will see (none). Apply the style you want and the implicit tag will go away.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should add the Processing Instructions (PIs) are permitted in the source files. I don't think you will find the implicit tag in any output.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp