Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Forum,

I am using RoboHelp X5. I want to know following:

1. Is it possible to disable the selection of
text/screens in the output CHM file so that they
cannot be copied and pasted by anyone. If a script is
involved where to place that script?

2. In our company we connect the help file to D2K (Developer 2000)
interfaces. In the interface when F1 key is pressed
the help file is shown. But when the help file is
minimized the user is not able to see the screen
interface and only when the CHM is closed the
interface is visible. How to overcome this and view
both screen interface and the help file
simultaneously.

Give your suggestions please.

With thanks and regards,
Krishna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Krishna,

> disable the selection of text/screens in the output CHM file so that they
> cannot be copied and pasted by anyone

See this page for some examples of scripts that you might use:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3262133&SiteID=1

You can put these scripts in the HEAD section of each topic, or add them to a global JavaScript (.js) file to which all the topics are linked.

> In our company we connect the help file to D2K (Developer 2000) interfaces. In the
> interface when F1 key is pressed the help file is shown. But when the help file is
> minimized the user is not able to see the screen interface and only when the CHM
> is closed the interface is visible.

Can you clarify what happens to the application interface when the user minimizes the help window? Is the interface minimized as well?

Can you supply an example of the application code that is used to open the help file when the user presses F1? This may help us to suggest a workaround.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lees,

Thanks for the info you have provided.

I am able to now block the user from selecting a text.

I tried to use the another script available in the link that blocks the mouse menu (through which user can print/view source) but that script is not executing properly for me. Since I am not a technical guy I am not able to locate where the problem is. If you can help please throw some light on it. I want to know,

How the function inside the nomenu.js file is called and how to pass the event to that function?

Otherwise things are ok Pete.

Reg viewing the interface and help file simultaneously: When the help file is invoked by pressing F1 it shows up. But when the help file is minimized normally we expect the screen interface to appear in its full. But what happens is the interface is still there (no, it is not minimized) but no contents of it are visible and it shows full grey colour.

With thanks and regards,
Krishna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

> How the function inside the nomenu.js file is called and how to pass the event to
> that function?

The function is executed when the user clicks the topic pane, because of the following lines in the nomenu.js file:

document.onmousedown=right;
if (document.layers) { window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN); }
window.onmousedown=right;

When the user clicks the topic pane — "document.onmousedown" — the "right" function is executed. This function determines which of the mouse buttons was pressed and then, if it was the centre or right button — "(event.button == 2 || event.button == 3)" — displays the "Function Prohibited" message box.

If it's any help to you, I can send you a sample file that illustrates this technique. Click my user name at the left to contact me by email.

> when the help file is minimized normally we expect the screen interface to appear
> in its full. But what happens is the interface is still there (no, it is not minimized)
> but no contents of it are visible and it shows full grey colour

This sounds like a problem with the way the developers have connected your help file to their application. Perhaps they will find a solution in the following sites, which provide information for developers on how to implement HTML Help:

Microsoft's HTML Help API Reference
MS Help Wiki

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the details.

The links you have given will be useful for me.

Also, I have posted a new message regarding disbaling menu option in the navigation pane. Please look into it and give your suggestions.

With thanks and regards,
Krishna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp