• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp HTML Not Compiling and not responding

New Here ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several HTML help files that I have made and are in the midst of editing. Once I have edited them, Robohelp will not compile again. It states that the file has been genertated but when I select "View Result" it can't find it.
I have found some files joining together and some corrupted. Also Robo help is taking a very long time to open and save. I just finished a brand new help file and when I pressed "Save" 15 minutes ago, it is still reading the file.
The more help files I do, the slower it gets and quits responding.
What Can I do to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008
Well no CPD file would certainly confirm you weren't using RH for HTML . It is just that you had us all thinking you were because of the first few words of your first post and the fact you are posting in the HTML Help forum. I know the forums are badly named but it would have helped stating this earlier.

So if I have got this straight, you are using RH for Word to produce a CHM file. Have you thought about using RH for HTML? If not, I strongly urge you to start doing so as this is the tool spe...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strong indication that you're working the projects on a network.

Don't do that; work on your local machine.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am saving all of my files on my C drive. I only work on my local computer.
Is there anything else that would make it so slow and not compile at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you are "saving" your files to your C drive this seems to indicate they are stored elsewhere. Can you confirm this. Also could you tell us what version of RH you are using and your output type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am saving my files on my desktop and some of my files have been able to compile but other have not.
I am using Robohelp 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thought,
It's not a good iadea to store files locally under "My Documents". It's better to use a straightforward folder directly under the C: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its alos constantly saying that Robohelp is not responding. It can sit there trying to save for 15 to 30 minutes if I leave it alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is different about the projects you can compile and those you can not? Size? Content?

You could try creating a brand new project, import the HTM files from one of the projects you can't compile, recreate you TOC (you could even copy and paste the project's .HHC file) and see if the project compiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing different form the compiled ones than the un-compiled ones. Some may be a bit larger but not much.
I have tried starting a brand new help file and even renamed it something totally different and on file compiled so I though YAY!!
So I did that again with another one but it didn't work.
I am at a loss.
Thanks for all this help folks! I know you will be able to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Try deleting the project's .CPD file. Have you got any underscores or other special characters in the project name. Another thing is the path to the projects. Is that very long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my path is:
C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Desktop\help folder\help files

Also, they don't have a CPD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us what you are using to generate the help. RH for Word or RH HTML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH for word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That location is asking for trouble. Off the Desktop? Yikes! Follow AuthorCare's earlier suggestion about having the project closer to the C: drive.

1. Create a folder called C:\Compile and move the entire project to that folder.
2. Open the project and reset the destination path for your output.
3. Compile Away!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well no CPD file would certainly confirm you weren't using RH for HTML . It is just that you had us all thinking you were because of the first few words of your first post and the fact you are posting in the HTML Help forum. I know the forums are badly named but it would have helped stating this earlier.

So if I have got this straight, you are using RH for Word to produce a CHM file. Have you thought about using RH for HTML? If not, I strongly urge you to start doing so as this is the tool specifically designed to produce such output. You can import your Word file with relative ease. Check out this link on my friend Peter Grainge's website before you do so though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2008 May 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you found out the problem. I used to have the same problem with version 5.5. What it turned out to be was that I didn't have Admin Privildeges on the PC. Version 7 does not seem to require that to compile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2008 May 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all,
I have compiled all of them in Robo HTML. Much easier and I should have used that in the first place!! heh

Thanks again for all your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2008 Nov 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem. However, my circumstances are somewhat different.

1) I am able to save and compile the project. However, each time that I save a topic, I can wait up to a minute or more for the process to complete.
2) My project size is currently 113 MB (It will certainly be double or triple this size before I'm done.)
2) I do have .CPD files...two of them, in fact. One dates from the point I initiated the project (or soon thereafter). The other is dated as of today with a time as of a recent save.
3) When I see the Not Responding display at the top of the screen, I find that right clicking up to three times while waiting 15-60 seconds between clicks seems to push the process along.
4) My project path is C:\Program Files\RoboHelp Office\RoboHTML\Javalina Online Help (CS)
5) IT tells me that I have one of the more recently purchased PCs in the office. My employer is a software design firm, so I imagine that the problem wouldn't be hardware related.

I, too, would appreciate any tips you might have to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2008 Nov 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move all your projects away from the C:\Program Files directory for a start. Create a directory off your C: drive (e.g. I use C:\RHSource) and locate all your projects there.

I am also a bit bemused when you say you have two CPD files. Has one of them been manually renamed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With regard to the CPD file question. I doubt that I renamed them manually, and certainly not intentionally. I didn't even know that I had CPD files. Here's what the directory displays:

Javelina Online Help (CS).cpd 45,592... CPD File 11/26/2008 8:40 AM

Javelina Online Help (CS).cpd 808 KB CPD File 3/13/2008 8:43 AM

I will go ahead relocate my projects. Is there a proper way to do this that eliminates or minimizes file, graphic and link dislocation issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With regard to the CPD file question. I doubt that I renamed them manually, and certainly not intentionally. I didn't even know that I had CPD files. Here's what the directory displays:

Javelina Online Help (CS).cpd 45,592... CPD File 11/26/2008 8:40 AM

Javelina Online Help (CS).cpd 808 KB CPD File 3/13/2008 8:43 AM

I will go ahead relocate my projects. Is there a proper way to do this that eliminates or minimizes file, graphic and link dislocation issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can copy the project using the standard Windows copy/paste functionality in Windows Explorer. As long as you copy the entire project directory you will be fine. You are not amending the project in any way by doing this.

As far as the two CPD files is concerned, I am confused as I would have thought this impossible to achieve. If you rename both files and recompile, if there only one regenerated? Maybe the older file has a different file association? Was there something done on this project around the 13th Mar 08 that could help pin this down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I would rename the project: I doubt that spaces and parentheses are part of RH's approved diet. Make it simple, with alpha-numeric characters and underscores only, like javalina_oh_cs.

(Do this after you've made a copy somewhere else: open the project in RH and rename it there.)

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out how to move the project. However, I'm still experiencing undiminished lag time between the point I save a given file and the time that RH completes the process of saving it.

I'm guessing that I should just delete the CPD file dated 3/1/2008, as it doesn't seem to be current with the project, unlike the other version. However, I would appreciate your confirmation of this intuition before I go ahead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already moved the project successfully. However, the lag time between the point I save a topic and the point J completes the process is undiminished.

It's my guess that I should just delete - Javelina Online Help (CS).cpd 808 KB CPD File 3/13/2008 8:43 AM - as it doesn't seem current.

However, I would appreciate a confirmation someone who understands this far better than I do before proceeding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp