• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use MS Team System (Team Foundation Server)?

May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Our development team uses Microsoft TeamSystem (Team Foundation Server) and I am wondering if I can use RoboHelp 7 and have the sources of the help files under version control of Team Foundation Server.

If possitive, which flavor of RoboHelp do I need to buy, and how to I set it up in roboHelp?
Note that I want to build HTML help and an intranet site.

TIA,

Andre

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 12, 2008 Jun 12, 2008
To get RoboHelp 7 integrated with Team Foundation (2005) I did the following (based on replies in this topic):
1. Uninstalled RoboSource Control. (Not sure if this is a required step)
2. Installed the Team Foundation Client.
3. Subsequently installed the MSSCCI Provider (as Amebr stated earlier).
I now get the Source Control tab in the Tools > Options dialog.
4. I expected a File > Version Control > Add to Version Control menu option, but after my update from 7.01 to 7.02 it has disappeared (?!...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andre and welcome to the RH community.

I don't use Team Foundation Server - we use Visual Source Safe - but there should be no reason why you can't use it for your source control. You don't need to buy anything other than ANY copy of RoboHelp. RoboHelp 7 does have it's own in-built source control application but if you don't want to use it, and most of us don't, you just unselect the install option when you install the RoboHelp application.

Other than that, all I know is that you should set up a database in your source control application with the relevant rights. Perhaps your development staff can help you with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 26, 2008 May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum, thanks for the response.

I did install the trial WITH RoboSource. So, I will uninstall it and try to set up a connection to Team System.

Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, after I uninstalled RoboSource, I was not able to setup a connection to a version control system. The only option available under File > Version Control is the Refresh Status option, which doesn't do anything (ofcourse).

How can I create a connection to a third party VCS then?

TIA, Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andre.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. You use the source control application completely separately from RH. So you check out the source from Microsoft TeamSystem to a hard drive location (e.g. C:\Source) and then open your project from this location. When you have finished, just check in from within Microsoft TeamSystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our developers are already moving to TFS. Sometime soon, when I have 5 free minutes , I plan to try out TFS with Robohelp. I asked my technical guys if TFS supports Microsoft Source Code Control API (SCC API) which is what RH uses (I found it in the help somewhere) and was told there is a free plugin to make it compatible. I think the file name is something like "Visual Studio Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider".

As i said though, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Oh and I use VSS within RH without any problems, just FYI. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amebr, thanks for the response.

I have located the download at Microsoft's site and found a confirmation in their forum that RoboHelp can be used with Team Foundation Version Control.

Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2008 May 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Awukta. I hope it all works. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2008 Jun 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
To get RoboHelp 7 integrated with Team Foundation (2005) I did the following (based on replies in this topic):
1. Uninstalled RoboSource Control. (Not sure if this is a required step)
2. Installed the Team Foundation Client.
3. Subsequently installed the MSSCCI Provider (as Amebr stated earlier).
I now get the Source Control tab in the Tools > Options dialog.
4. I expected a File > Version Control > Add to Version Control menu option, but after my update from 7.01 to 7.02 it has disappeared (?!).
Nevertheless, I had to show the Version Control tool bar and press the Add to Version Control icon.

That gives me the possibility to set up a connection to the Team Foundation server, and check in the RoboHelp project files.

Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. You use the source control application completely separately from RH.

I wasn't clear either. I am looking for an integration; i.e. check in/out from within RoboHelp itself.
The way you describe is a workaround for any version control system.
So, I'll try the resolution mentioned by Amebr.

Thanks,

Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp