• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do topics in my RoboHelp project disappear after upgrading to RoboHelp 2015?

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading a project from RoboHelp 10 to RoboHelp 2015, all topics in the project are deleted when the topics are subsequently updated. The project is a linked FrameMaker document - the project upgrades as expected, but when I update the topics, one of two things happens:

1. Links are broken and all topics appear in the "Broken Links" folder or,
  2. All topics simply disappear.

(Running Adobe Tech Comm Suite 2015  on Windows 7, 64-bit; RoboHelp updated to v12.0.2.384; FrameMaker updated to v 13.0.2.433.)

I did have some success updating topics if I update each 'chapter' in the book singly, but if I use the "Update All" option, the results are as stated above. And, as you can see, the results are not consistent. This has happened with both projects that I have converted to RoboHelp 2015.

I can't find any information about this in any forums. Screenshot included below to show the effect of "Updating all" in a project. 

I appreciate any assistance with this annoying quirk! 

Carole

RH 2015 update issue.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Hi,

I have tried exactly your steps but it is working fine at my end.

Try this: In the project folder there is a file named <projectname>.cpd, delete this file and re-open the project in RoboHelp and then update the FM linked book.

Give it a try and let me know if it solves this issue.

Regards,

Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are FrameMaker11, RoboHelp 10 and TCS 2015 all are installed on your machine?

Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may or may not be related ... when I recently migrated a FrameMaker book from FM12 to FM2015, FrameMaker 2015 initially reported that all cross-references were unresolved. In FrameMaker, I performed an "Edit>Update References" operation, which successfully resolved the cross-references.

The book was also linked to a RoboHelp project. I did not check the RoboHelp 2015 project until after I updated the FrameMaker book.

To make a long story short ... did you migrate the FrameMaker source files to FrameMaker 2015 before you updated the linked files in the RoboHelp project?

-Alan Houser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have tried exactly your steps but it is working fine at my end.

Try this: In the project folder there is a file named <projectname>.cpd, delete this file and re-open the project in RoboHelp and then update the FM linked book.

Give it a try and let me know if it solves this issue.

Regards,

Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan - I did update the Frame source files to 2015 before updating in RoboHelp and updated the TOC before opening the project in RoboHelp. The project upgraded to the new version of RoboHelp with no problem, but when I generated the update for the linked files, the topics in the book disappeared. I did find that I can delete the existing Frame book, relink the Frame book, and then update all with no problem. But, that process adds extra steps to the workflow: the project settings and the properties for the output file need to be reapplied.

Appreciate the suggestion though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting the .cpd file and reopening the project as suggested earlier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surbhi, sorry. I have been out of the office for two weeks and was playing catch-up all day yesterday. I did try your suggestion this morning - I deleted the .cpd file before opening the project in RoboHelp, then generated the update for all topics. No problems at all!  Thank you so much.

Carole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem. Deleting the .cpd file made no difference.

The problem happens the first time I update all the files after opening a project. If I leave the project open, I can update all day long without an issue. One of my projects is rather large, so waiting for all the files to be deleted and then having to redo the update is very time-consuming. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this from happening? It almost seems like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clarify what you mean by "One of my projects is rather large, so waiting for all the files to be deleted and then having to redo the update is very time-consuming."

Why would you be waiting for files to be deleted?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you haven't stated whether or not the FrameMaker issue earlier in the thread could be the cause.

Beyond that there was another thread that sounds similar. Please take a look at that and if it seems more like your problem, please post there. In your post it would help to have a link to this thread.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8646307?tstart=0#8646307

You will see that both Adobe and myself offered to look at the project but the poster could not share it. Can you? See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to the other thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what FrameMaker "issue" you mean. From what I can tell, the setup of my project is identical to the one described by the original poster, and the problem occurs exactly as she experienced it (all topics simply disappear on upgrade)., Updating one file at a time does work, as she said.

I recently upgraded to TCS 2015 (RH 12.0.0.306, FM 13.0.0.33) and that's when the problem started. I haven't been able to install the RH and FM updates yet. Is there any chance they might address this problem?

I will look at the other thread. I'm not sure I'm allowed to share my project files; I'd have to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re FrameMaker, see Post 4 in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post #4 says this: In the project folder there is a file named <projectname>.cpd, delete this file and re-open the project in RoboHelp and then update the FM linked book.

As I said in post #8, deleting the .cpd file made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the post before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I migrated my FrameMaker source files to 2015 and saved them before opening the RoboHelp project where they were used. I don't recall that my cross-references within the FrameMaker files were unresolved at that point. In fact, I thought the upgrade went very smoothly.

I had also moved the FrameMaker files from a network location to my laptop for performance reasons, so I expected all the references to break in RoboHelp. I was able to fix those and that hasn't been a problem.

I read the other thread you referred to. It seemed that the issues people were focusing on there were: deleting the .cpd file, and having the FrameMaker files on the C: drive. As I have said, deleting the .cpd file didn't make any difference, and I do have the FM files on C:.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that you have posted more information, I can see why you have posted in this thread. I will draw this thread to someone else's attention in the hope that they can help.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you. I did ask about sending you my project but that's not allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2016 Apr 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please check your private message inbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Grainge wrote:

Please clarify what you mean by "One of my projects is rather large, so waiting for all the files to be deleted and then having to redo the update is very time-consuming."

Why would you be waiting for files to be deleted?

@petergrainge

I am waiting for files to be deleted because RoboHelp forces me to---I can't do anything else in RH until it has deleted them all. The progress bar in the "Processing FrameMaker documents" box shows about 1/4 green and doesn't move until all the HTML files have been deleted from my source project. When that's done, I can update the book again, which re-creates all of those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp