Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7 wants internet connection

New Here ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm using RH quite a long time and now I'm changing from RH5 to RH7.
A disturbing behavoir is, that RH7 wants to open an internet connection while opening the programm (displaying the starter pod) and every time I open a RH project.
Are there any suggestions what option causes this and how to disable this?
RH is running under Windows Vista, setup was running on an "clean" system, no older RH installations.

Greetings
Ralf

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum

Try going to Tools | Options and ticking Use Offline Help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

thanks for reply.
This option was selected all the time.
I also tried to disable the starter pod but seems there is no way for that, correct?

Greetings
Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you just click on the project's xpj file, it bypasses the starter window, doesn't it? would that be a workaround? You could create a desktop shortcut to the xpj file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Auto Update?

What about if you open RH but not one of your projects? Open RH without opening a project. Your first post suggests you may have done that but I want to be sure.

I don't see this in any project when I am offline. It is not the normal behaviour.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

thanks for trying to help me

> if you just click on the project's xpj file, it bypasses the starter window, doesn't it?

Unfortunately not, same procedure as before...

> What about Auto Update?

Has been disabled

> What about if you open RH but not one of your projects? Open RH without opening a project.
> Your first post suggests you may have done that but I want to be sure.

Yes you are right. Opening RH7 causes an internet connection. Clicking a project in starter pod to
open the project shows the connection dialog again (proxy)
I will try to reinstall everything first, then try to install on an other computer. Perhaps it helps ...
Once again: Thank for your help

Greetings
Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ralf

Have you tried hiding the RoboHelp starter page? I believe if you right-click the tab, it will offer an ability to hide it. I believe that the starter page is probably the culprit, as there is an information area in the lower right that looks for any updates upon startup.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2008 May 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

You're absolutely rigtht, the starter page wants to connect to www.adobe.com/go/starterpagerh...
It seems to me, theres no way to disable the starter page. Hiding is possible, but next time the starter
is back again ;-(
Meanwhile i reinstalled the application but without succes,

Greetings
Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you activated the product yet? Maybe that is what is forcing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

RH7 activation/registration passed without any problems.

Greetings
Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are telling me that the start page does look for a connection but behave differently if it does not find one. It should not be prompting you. I'm trying to get more information but that might take a while. What concerns me is that no one else has had this problem, or at least, no one else has reported it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ralf

What I'm about to offer here is probably going to make the folks at Adobe faint. <VBEG>

That starter page can be modified if you want. If you look inside the folder where RoboHelp HTML is installed, you should find a folder named StarterExt. Inside this folder is a file named dws_robohelp.swf. You might try simply renaming the file to dws_robohelp.fws.

My thought here is that if the page can't find the .SWF (because it's now named .FWS) that you won't be prompted for an internet connection.

Of course, that also means that you won't receive automatic notification of what Adobe wants you to see when you start RoboHelp.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2008 May 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been in touch with Adobe and advised that the element of the start page that attempts to phone home is programmed not to if there is no connection. That is exactly the behaviour I see on five PCs and no other reports seen of RH phoning in, except in a beta and that was fixed.

If Rick's suggestion does not change things, do you have access to IT folks who can track what called the internet connection? Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2008 May 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, hi Peter

renaming the SWF-file did'nt help, bat renaming the STARTER.HTM was helpful. RH now shows a blank page on startup but it's OK. I'll open my projects by clicking the XPJ-File, perhaps I create my own menu ;-)
At least this is an sufficient solution for me and the topic can be closed.

> ...do you have access to IT folks who can track what called the internet connection?
> Is that possible?

If you're still interested in, i can do that. I'm using wireshark as analyzer program and could send you that
protocol.

Greetings to all and thankx again
Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to tell us what is calling it on your system. Mine does not phone home when there is no connection. I will then contact Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

the requested URI is
http://www.adobe.com/go/startpagerh?prod=rh&ver=7.0&stat=full&plat=win&lang=de

RH: 7.01.001

I found this request in the "starter.htm" and removed it. Now I can use the starter page without any problems.
Its the best solution for me.

Greetings
Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have passed this on to Adobe. I will let you know if I hear anything that helps.

Hold on! Whilst typing this reply, I clicked that link. It shows that you are running a beta version and this was a problem in the beta tests, but one that was fixed. Where did you get your copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Beta version? I can't believe that. My company received RH on CD about two weeks ago
and i made an update using the Adobe Updater from the RH help menu. The version info shows 7.01.001

Greetings
Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it's not the version you are using that is a beta, the page that link goes to is about the AIR beta and that is what would appear.

It has been confirmed that RH7 is programmed to look for a connection and show that page in the bottom right corner if there is a connection. However, it is also programmed to show something else if there is no connection. So yes it is looking for a connection but it will not create one. The thinking is you are only aware of this through some software that is monitoring for connections.

If that is the case, surely there is no problem as it does not seem unreasonable to look for one and then give you new information if there is a link. The only objection I could see is if RH tried to create a connection. Are you saying that it what is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Peter,

(i missed your last posting)
I think you are right, perhaps my admin can help configuring my internet connection
considering your info.
I think we can mark this question as answered, as mentioned before i found a solution
that keeps me going on. Thank you very much.

Greetings
Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp