Exit

Heading Styles

Explorer ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp Pro
RH7

I am re-working a style sheet nightmare, like so many of us. To do so, I am selecting all in each topic and applying Normal to all the text. I have then applied Heading 1 to the topic title, and all I've done to that is raise the font size to 25pt in the style sheet. No matter what I do, though, the correct Heading 1 style does not show up when I compile and preview.

I don't know what style it is, but it isn't Heading 1. I have even deleted the old topic title, retyped it, and applied Heading 1. What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008
Hi all

Apologies if someone else has offered this and I overlooked it.

Harooki, if you examine the HTML code of your topic and look near the top, you should see a Head section. Inside that section may be lurking an embedded style. It might look like this:

<style type="text/css"><!--
H1 {
font-size: 24pt;
color: #800000;
}
LI.H1 {
}
-->
</style>

Note that I just tossed one together to see what it might look like. Your code (I'm guessing this is the issue) ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you might try applying "(none)" instead of Normal to your headings before you re-style.... I think that (none) does a better job of stripping out any underlying codes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you might try applying "(none)" instead of Normal to your headings before you re-style.... I think that (none) does a better job of stripping out any underlying codes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops, sorry for the triplicate reply, my computer's very slow to respond today...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that didn't work. The only way I can get Heading1 to work is to create a new topic.

I've searched the style sheet and the styles available in this topic, and there's no style that even looks like what is being rendered. And, by the way, what are styles that are named "whs" followed by a number?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found that creating a new topic, then cut & pasting from the old topic resolves this problem. However, it will probably create others; and I want to know what's going on here. Although I have the workaround, I still would appreciate expert feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at the HTML code in True Code / HTML View/

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "whs" styles appear only in the output files, indicating that RH has converted your source styles into browser-friendly styles.

As Peter suggests, try checking the TrueCode for one of the topics. You could even copy one of the H1 elements (the entire line) and provide it here using the Attach Code button below. We might spot the problem easier if we can see that.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the second time someone has mention the Attach Code button. Can someone tell me specifically where that button is? I can't find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not appear if you use the "Quick Reply" button to post to these forums. Instead click on the "Reply" link above each post and you'll find it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The code for each of these headings (the bad one and good one) are exactly the same. Unless I misunderstand what I should be looking for, the text is enclosed with a simple h1 tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I step back a bit. Have you got the correct style sheet assigned to the topics? Remember that templates also have a style sheet assigned to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I thought you had it. That sounded so good, because there was a template attached to the bad one. So, I removed it.

Both topics have the same style sheet attached. They both now have no template attached. But, alas, I'm getting the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using folders inside your project, check that there isn't another version of the style sheet inside the folder where the offending topic exists. You can check this quickly by using the Topic Properties report with the Style Sheet option selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that, but I created the style sheet as a precaution against something like that fouling things up.

-------------------------------------------

Hold on, this may be the problem. I see a difference in the paths to the style sheet.

The style sheet shown in the report for the bad one is:
C:\Documents and Settings\RALEE\Desktop\Price Management.css

The style sheet shown in the report for the good one is:
C:\Documents and Settings\RALEE\Desktop\P2P Price Management Procedures\Price Management.css

This, in itself, puzzles me. I don't know why the paths differ, because I created this css while in my project (which is in C:\Documents and Settings\RALEE\Desktop\P2P Price Management Procedures. So, now I'm really confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harooki

When you are editing your forum post via the web interface, look below where you type your reply. I'll upload a screen capture for you.

Click here to see

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Apologies if someone else has offered this and I overlooked it.

Harooki, if you examine the HTML code of your topic and look near the top, you should see a Head section. Inside that section may be lurking an embedded style. It might look like this:

<style type="text/css"><!--
H1 {
}
LI.H1 {
}
-->
</style>

Note that I just tossed one together to see what it might look like. Your code (I'm guessing this is the issue) would look different, yet still start and end with <style> and </style>.

See if you can find that and blow it away. Always remember that embedded styles will override style sheets.

Again, apologies if this has already been covered. I did scan the longish thread but don't recall seeing it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You might also move your project closer to the C: drive by eliminating what I've changed to bold:

C:\ Documents and Settings\RALEE\Desktop\P2P Price Management Procedures\Price Management.css

Having RH projects on the Desktop is not best practice.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp