Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Back/Forward button tweak not working

Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried Rick Stone's Skinny on Skins suggestion for tweaking the code to make the Back and Forward buttons to work for navigation. To refresh, the Back and Forward buttons only work for Previous and Next topics for browse sequences. Back and Forward for topic navigation are not enabled for WebHelp. The tweaking is supposed to make it work for Back and Foward. I have tried his suggestion, and the code resests itself to the original (to support browse sequences) upon compilation.

Any suggestions?
Danni

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2008 Mar 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could add Back and Forward buttons to the Main toolbar using the Skin Editor. Create a new button, optionally add an image in the Text tab then in the Action tab you type history.go(-1) in the JavaScript Onclick field. The js for a forward button is history.go(1).

It is a workaround but it works for me!

mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2008 Mar 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Scribbler - you are my hero! Thank you so much - you saved me! I am eternally grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2008 Mar 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I spoke to soon. The new buttons show up in the Preview of the edited skin, but when I re-generate, the buttons do not show up at all once I view the result, however, when I preview them again in the edited skin dialog box, they are there. Any suggestions?

I tried to use a different skin and that didn't work. In addition, I imported some new skins from Adobe's site, and they aren't showing up in my skin folder in RoboHelp (in my project folder, labeled !SkinSubFolder!), but are showing up in Windows Explorer. So I can't choose any of the new skins I've imported. Why is this happeneing?

This type of thing keeps happening in my project. This has also happened with my baggage files. I add them, compile, they are there, and then mysteriously disappear after a little while. Sometimes I can get them back, most times not. Do you think these two problems are interrelated?

Danni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re. the first issue, you have to enable buttons on one of the SSL Properties wizard pages. Sorry but i dont have RH on the pc i am using right now, so i can't tell you exactly which setting, but its there all right!

mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain what you mean by SSL Properties wizard? This tip of yours is very useful but I do not know how to run this wizard.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken

In RoboHelp HTML (I'm guessing it's similar if you are using RoboHelp for Word) if you click View > Pods > Single Source Layouts, you see the Pod containing the assorted layouts. If you right-click one of the layouts, you see different properties you may set. If you double-click the layout, the assumption is that you wish to generate or compile the layout. But, as before, you see the intermediate properties. I believe this is what is meant by the wizard pages.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I got the buttons to work after I discovered how to use the wizard. These button work fine in IE but do not seem to work properly in Firefox. In Firefox, you are taken back to the last externla URL instead of the last topic that you selected in the manual.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2008 May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 7 and cannot enable the elusive forward and back buttons. I'm using the default skin, which has forward and back buttons. I haven't edited the skin to include new buttons with Java code. Is that the only way to go? Why would there be forward and back buttons on the default skin if they weren't meant to be operable? There is a section called toolbar buttons on the layout properties dialog that appears if you double-click the layout (the SSL wizard). Either I'm having a brain cramp or enabling the buttons on the nav bar is listed under something rather obtuse. Please spell it out for me...My forward and back buttons appear on the preview of the skin but not on the compiled output just like a previous user said not too long ago. The Browsing Sequence check box is also not available--not that I want a browsing sequence just the forward and back buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2008 May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Writerman_in_TO

Please review the link below.

Click here

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp