Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable link in embedded .swf file?

Enthusiast ,
May 22, 2008 May 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all,

I have embedded a flash .swf file in a topic, and it plays just fine in WebHelp output.

The .swf was made as a banner in another application, where the user clicks on the image to bring up a new window with its own content. That link must be embedded in the .swf, because the html code in RH just puts it there and lets it run.

I'm planning to insert a note to explain the dead link, saying my presentation is only to show the swf. As it stands, it displays a hand pointer, but a click generates a js error.

Is there a way to disable the link from the swf without going back to the original developer?

Thanks.

Harvey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind.

I was getting the js error in the RH view mode. But in WebHelp output, the hand pointer shows, but the link is dead.

Thanks anyway.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harvey

Does this happen only when you view locally or does it also happen after the WebHelp has been uploaded to a server?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 23, 2008 May 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question.

You're probably wondering whether the link will become active if it's using a valid path through the Intra/Internet. I'll check.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a harmless js error. I suspect most people have notification of script errors turned off, and this has a limited audience, so I'm not concerned.

It seems the banner doesn't hold the full link, but calls a js where the URL is specified. I omitted that js, which explains the error.

But the animated banner looks pretty snazzy.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harvey

You said you omitted the JavaScript? Why? Was it causing issues? Or is it the fact the link points somewhere you really don't want it to? If so, I'm thinking you could amend the JavaScript to point it where you want.

Just thinking out loud... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2008 May 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Good point, Rick, thanks.

I just don't want them to go there from here. "Here" is advance release notes. "There" is still in development, but will be complete by the time the banner is available publicly.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp