Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old version cannot be uninstalled in directory windows.old

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since a few days I upgrade computers I manage from Windows 7 to Windows 10. On a major part of them I have a problem.

An old version of flash player is present on the old directory of Windows (created automatically by the upgrade of Windows) on exactly C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.

I want to uninstall them because it is a old version and so there is a security risk but it does not work.

If I run the exe file file to uninstall the program is running but there is always the ocx file at the end. I have administrator rights but I cannot delete it.

How can I delete it?

I do not want to unistalled the version used by Windows 10 (that is integrated with it) but only this old version.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anthony.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In windows 10 Edge/IE11 Flash player comes embedded with microsoft update.

Please upgrade to latest win 10.

Below link might be helpful:

Adobe Flash Player issues with Windows 10 (Microsoft Edge)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply,

You do not understand my problem. I know that Flash player is integrated with Windows 10 (I mentionned it in my request). This version is OK. My problem is with the version that is in Windows.old. When I run Microsoft update it updates the integrated version of Flash player and not the version in Windows.old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows.old will not be used by your upgraded operating system. No Adobe installer will recognize it period. Your current windows system will not use or recognize it period. The only remote way is is some malware got on your machine and specifically targeted c:\windows.old\windows\system32\macromed\\flash......  That is the only remote way aside from the current version of Flash being exploited to do that ( i don't know too much on hacking and doing malicious stuff )

The windows.old directory is there in case you want to go back to your previous operating system. You could delete it, but at YOUR own risk, furthermore that windows.old will NOT be touched by windows updates; why would it it is the OLD OS!

In theory could someone write some malicious code to target it; yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thank you for your reply but you did not answer to my question. I already know all what you say.

I leave no security breach in my IT infrastructure so even if there is just a little chance to be attacked I want to eliminite completely the risk.

Does someone know how to do ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then IF you are an IT pro for a company, why don't you build an image for it ?

That is what we do, we do not upgrade machines, we build images, then deploy them; actually we build hardware independent images. That is the way to go, then you will have NO old windows lingering around.

I also think what you are asking is beyond the scope of these forums since you are dealing more of an operating system question and how to get around permissions on old files. This forum is not a windows 10 upgrade forum.

Or you could Google it, but its easier to ask someone I have found

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines