21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 12:01 AM by RoninEdits

Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro

eep10655756

Hi.

Is Nvidia quadro k1200 supported by Premiere Pro? By which version of it? I consulted the list given by Adobe but this card is not included in any version

Do you recommend another graphic card with the same budget?

Please help me.

• 1. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I dont know about budget but a gtx card is a better choice.

• 2. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
            eep10655756 Level 1

Thank you for the reply. Can you saggest me a gtx model please? Is it supported only by a particular version  of premiere pro? I'm asking so many question but I'm getting confused because I've read that each version support specific graphic cards models.  

I

• 3. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The supported list are just the cards tested by Adobe. Any of the Geforce cards with 1GB or more of vram will work. What system are you upgrading the video card in spec wise?

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                eep10655756 Level 1

Sorry, what do you mean for "system"? If it's a Windows o Mac? I'm using a windows.

• 5. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro

Well I assumed a Windows based system since you were looking to upgrade the video card. I meant the CPU model and systemboard model if custom built or the model number if from a Tier 1 OEM like Dell or HP.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                    eep10655756 Level 1

Sorry, but as you can see I'm not competent in the matter and I asked a dealer for building a computer for me.

He chose this configuration:

-CPU: Intel BX80662I76700K Box Core I7-6700K

- Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Gaming MB

- Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R Vengeance LPX Memorie DDR4 16 GB, 2x8 GB, 3200 MHz, CL16 XMP 2.0

- VGA : Nvidia quadro k1200

- PSU: Corsair CX750M, CP-9020061-EU Alimentatore ATX/EPS Serie CXM da 750 Watt

- HD: Samsung MZ-75E500B/EU SSD 850 EVO, 500G B, 2.5" SATA III

WD WD10EZEX Blu Hard Disk Desktop, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 GB/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5 ", 1 TB

What do you think about it?

• 7. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro

That configuration is a good starting point. Ideally you want 32GB of ram but 16GB is a good start. The PSU is more than big enough for a Geforce 960GTX 4GB card which is what I would suggest. For future reference you want the WD Black drives if you get WD Desktop drives. The Blue and Green drives have far more power management built into them and have a higher failure error rate.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                        eep10655756 Level 1

Thank you so much for your help.

• 9. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                          RjL190365 Level 5

If you take a good look at the Quadro K1200's specs, you'll find that it's actually a GeForce GTX 750 (non-Ti) GPU with its GPU Boost feature disabled. You see, it is the exact same GM107 (first-generation Maxwell GPU) as the GTX 750, right down to the 5.0 GHz effective 128-bit GDDR5 graphics RAM and 80 GB/second memory throughput. Yet it costs three times more money than the GTX 750.

• 10. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                            Nick@Verisurf

RjL,

I require a Quadro card to run the CAD software for which I use Premiere Pro to create training and marketing videos. I'm considering the K1200 because it offers significantly more memory and better performance than the 2000D I'm currently using. My goals are improved rendering of previews and smoother scrolling through the timeline.

Is it possible to use a GTX 750 (or other) with the 2000D instead of swapping the latter for a K1200? Are there other options I'm overlooking?

Also, there's no mention of the Premiere Pro version in this thread. Will the K1200 work with CS6?

• 12. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                              RjL190365 Level 5

Well, what are the rest of the hardware specs of your current system? If your current system is as old as that Quadro 2000D, it may not be able to take full advantage of a decent newer GPU.

With that said, the Quadro 2000D is really lousy by current standards: It was based on the old Fermi-generation GPU, with only 192 CUDA cores and a memory throughput of only 41 GB/second. Thus, even the Quadro K1200 would be an improvement over the Quadro 2000D. However, I'd recommend that if you must get a Quadro, go for an M4000 or higher.

• 13. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                                Nick@Verisurf Level 1

RjL,

It's a late 2012 build:

Intel Core i7 3930 3.8GHz

32 GB RAM

700W PSU

Samsung 840 Pro SSD + OCZ VTX4 SSD

3TB WD Black

The 2000D is clearly the weak link in the system (but it's still adequate for my CAD requirement).

I had considered the M4000, but Professional Workstation compared both cards and found the K1200 to be a better choice given the same performance (for use cases similar to mine) for less than half the price. See "Which NVIDIA Quadro for Adobe Video".

Late last night I found a thread on Tom's Hardware that asked "Can I run a Quadro with a GTX 970". The answer is yes - you change the main monitor and all programs will use the card associated with that monitor. I think I can further modify that approach by using the NVIDIA control panel to assign specific programs to use specific cards. Even if that works, I still have to deal with the additional 145 Watt load from the GTX.

Anyway, I think I've found the answer to my question, but I do appreciate your reply. Feel free to poke holes in my assumptions.

• 14. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro

What Cad software are you using. AutoCAD uses Direct x now for API which means you want Geforce cards. Solidworks still uses Open GL and a few features such as the texture fill in wont work without a Quadro card.

Eric

ADK

• 15. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                                    Nick@Verisurf Level 1

Eric,

I'm using a Mastercam-based application. The GTX meets their minimum specs quite easily (OpenGL 3.2 or better and 512 MB RAM). However, in 10 years of working with Mastercam, the only issues we've seen with Quadro cards are customers using older drivers. It might simply be that over time the recommendation to use Quadro has become institutionalized as a requirement in order to reduce the support load.

From what I understand, double precision OpenGL suffers on the GTX, which means that solids will be slower, and the Quadros have more vertex memory available. If speed is the only issue, I can deal with that in editing. However, if the GTX does a poor job of rendering the CAD model, I can't work around that. Can you shed any light on these issues?

I'm leaning towards going with the GTX 970, since in the worst case it looks like I can use it alongside the 2000D (and in the best case it would simply replace it). However, I still haven't heard whether the 970 will work with CS6; any idea?

• 16. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                                      RjL190365 Level 5

Nick@Verisurf wrote:

I had considered the M4000, but Professional Workstation compared both cards and found the K1200 to be a better choice given the same performance (for use cases similar to mine) for less than half the price. See "Which NVIDIA Quadro for Adobe Video".

That assumption is based on performance per dollar, when counting only the GPU. However, when you factor in the total cost of all of the other major components of a PC build, the higher-end GPU will start to look much better in terms of bang for the buck.

• 17. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro

The Geforce cards wont suffer rendering the model unless Mastercam limits their Open GL API like solid works does for certain features such as the Texture fill in to require the Quadro card. The Double Precision may come into play but as of yet I have not seen this even from Solidworks which Mastercam works with based on their product line. The Open GL APi has to take advantage of the Double Precision and it depends how they implement it on whether the Geforce cards will not perform as well as the Quadro cards with it or not. I looked at all the new features for X9 and did not see anything referencing limitations on features reserved for Quadro cards so you should be fine with the Geforce. The load on the cards wont be significant with just model drawing without any Open GL acceleration plugins either way. Only Double Precision would push the Geforce cards much at all based on what I saw.

Eric
                                        ADK

• 18. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                                          Nick@Verisurf Level 1

Eric,

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. As it happens, I was at the local Mastercam reseller today, and he had X9 installed on his GTX 980-based Adobe workstation. It performed flawlessly with surfaces and complex solids, and with the build and analysis functions in our application layer.

Nick

• 19. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                                            Nick@Verisurf Level 1

RjL,

Thanks for the replies. Since Quadro is no longer a requirement (so much for conventional wisdom) I'm considering a GTX 970. Do you think that's overkill given my other components?

Nick

• 20. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                                              brainstewn Level 1

I do an occasional video and would like to have a card that serves me well in all arena's of business and production.  Eric indicates that this is a good starting point so I do I take it to mean that Premiere will perform adequately for the occasional video production?

• 21. Re: Nvidia quadro k1200 for premiere pro
                                                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you need a quadro the newer quadro m2000 is more powerful, for a better entry level card for premiere.