• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple Pencil - How can it be used in LR and PS?

Participant ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Is it possible to use the Apple Pencil in LR and PS?  The preview on the Apple Pencil looks amazing!  Can it be used in place of your finger on the iPad Pro?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Hi Annie,

The Wacom Intuos Pro tablets and the Cintiq displays are magnificent professional products, and the Apple Pencil has a long way to go to come close to the capabilities of the Wacom products. The Wacom pens have sensitivity of 2048 pressure levels, and depending on the pen, can track not only position and tilt, but rotation. Apple doesn't say how many levels of pressure sensitivity the Pencil has, but using both side by side there is a notable difference far in favor of Wacom.

The Apple p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the answer is yes: How the iPad Pro stacks up as a photographer’s tool | Macworld

Do realize that Lightroom and Photoshop on the iPad are NOT the real Lightroom and Photoshop, they are extremely limited and only ghosts of what the programs are on the desktop. They can be fun and sometimes even useful but don't expect to be able to have a full workflow on them. You'll still need a desktop computer to sync your work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jao,

I knew they were a shadow of the full desktop version, I just didn't know how much of a shadow.  If I could do 95% of what I needed that might have been ok.  But doing only 10% is definitely not okay.  I've decided to go with the full desktop version.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the pencil in place of your finger for most actions on the iPad (other than slide in from the edge actions).

The Pencil is supported with pressure sensitivity for the Adobe mobile apps like Photoshop Fix, Photoshop Mix, and Photoshop Sketch. It's very nice with those apps. Still, it's a long way from a Wacom Cintiq and the full desktop applications. And the full desktop LR and PS do not run on the iPad at all.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?!  So Wacom is more sensitive and versatile?  I've seen them both demonstrated but too briefly to make a judgement.  You've used both?  Have you used it for Graphic Design, like in Illustrator?

I know the Apple Pencil is sensitive down to a single pixel, and you can use pressure to simulate the work of a real pencil, pen or paint brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Annie,

The Wacom Intuos Pro tablets and the Cintiq displays are magnificent professional products, and the Apple Pencil has a long way to go to come close to the capabilities of the Wacom products. The Wacom pens have sensitivity of 2048 pressure levels, and depending on the pen, can track not only position and tilt, but rotation. Apple doesn't say how many levels of pressure sensitivity the Pencil has, but using both side by side there is a notable difference far in favor of Wacom.

The Apple pencil has no buttons, and requires charging, again in sharp contrast to the Wacom products. If you want to make Illustrator and Photoshop truly dance, you can't go wrong with a Wacom professional tablet or display (I'm excluding the consumer level Wacom tablets here).

That said, the Pencil is far superior to any other stylus available for the iPad. So for me, when I'm working on my iPad, I use my Pencil and love it. When I'm doing serious pixel or vector work on my desktop/laptop, my Wacom pen is firmly in my grasp.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mike,

That says it all right there.  You've used both and it looks like the Wacom is the way to go.  Thank you so much for your excellent review and helping me to decide! 

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines