Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep a value across different application names

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all,

I'm trying to find a way to keep something persistent across different application names without using the server scope (which could be lost upon reboot.)

Here's the situation.  I've got a very large site.  Many sections utilize the root application.cfc, but others have their own application.cfc with a unique name.

/dtr/application.cfc   <!--- app name = "dtr" --->

/dtr/index.cfm

/erc/index.cfm   <!--- uses root app.cfc --->

/mov/application.cfc   <!--- app name = "mov" --->

/mov/index.cfm

/suv/index.cfm   <!--- uses root app.cfc --->

/zyx/application.cfc   <!--- app name = "zyx" --->

/zyx/index.cfm

/root/application.cfc   <!--- app name = "ust" --->

/root/index.cfm

No matter which page is loaded, first, (could be bookmarked, or link sent in a message) I need to check to see if the user has seen a banner alert.  If not, display the alert and set a value for all future references.

I thought of session cookies, but when you get to a section with it's own app.cfc and the name changes, boom.. the previous set session value doesn't exist in this new session.

I thought of standard cookies, but I need the cookie to clear if/when the user closes the browser, so the banner will be viewed the next time the user visits.

I (obviously) don't want this alert loading on every page, every time.  That would be super-annoying. 

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to make this work?

V/r,

^_^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Session management is the bane of Web application development. It is very fragile and doesn't always represent the seat warmer on the other end of the connection.

The Web server has no idea when the user closes the tab/window/browser, of which there can be several.

You might have a hope if your users are authenticating. That way you can maintain a datetime value in a user table and only show the banner message after a certain timeout duration.

Good luck.

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, EddieLotter, thanks for replying.

If there were a way to write a cookie to the HD, but remove it when the browser closes (like a session cookie, but not as volatile), that could work.  It wouldn't be a session cookie, so it wouldn't be limited to just one application (based upon app name).  I've tried adding the domain name to it, but that still didn't fix the "different apps, different names" issue.

The users are authenticating, but the timed idea would quickly draw the ire of either the users (if the time is too short) or the decision/policy makers (if the time is too long.)

There has to be a way for the browser to keep a value across different app names (similar to SSO, but not SSO) that I'm just not seeing.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WolfShade wrote:

If there were a way to write a cookie to the HD, but remove it when the browser closes (like a session cookie, but not as volatile), that could work. It wouldn't be a session cookie, so it wouldn't be limited to just one application (based upon app name).

Then the session cookie is in fact what you need. That is, a cookie for which you define no expires attribute. Here the word "session" refers to the browser session, not to the Coldfusion session.

So, with

cookie.someVar = "someValue";

you'll be on your way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, BKBK,

That's what I thought.  However, in practice it isn't working that way.

Based upon the pseudo structure I used in my original post, if I opened a browser and went to the root/index.cfm, which plants the cookie using <cfcookie domain=".example.com" name="bannerDOD" value="yes" /> (no expiry), then went to mov/index.cfm, I should _NOT_ get the banner, again.  But I do.  I assumed it's because the different app.cfc files each set a different name for the application.

V/r,

^_^

<rolling eyes>  UPDATE:  Let me qualify that.  In production, it's happening as I described.  In staging, it isn't.  wtf

No.. it isn't, after all.. I'm tired, and didn't thoroughly test it.  The code that plants the cookie is in the root application.cfc, which is ignored when going into a section that has its own sub application.cfc.  So going directly to mov/index.cfm doesn't even check. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WolfShade wrote:

Hi, BKBK,

That's what I thought. However, in practice it isn't working that way.

Based upon the pseudo structure I used in my original post, if I opened a browser and went to the root/index.cfm, which plants the cookie using <cfcookie domain=".example.com" name="bannerDOD" value="yes" /> (no expiry), then went to mov/index.cfm, I should _NOT_ get the banner, again. But I do. I assumed it's because the different app.cfc files each set a different name for the application.

Sorry, I can't figure out what you mean. Could you please replace the italicized phrase with one about the cookie instead of the banner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script checks for the cookie.  If it exists, the requested page loads.  If it doesn't exist, it redirects to a "banner" alert page, sets the cookie, then clicking a button takes the user to the requested page.

That's how it's set up, currently.  But, again, because it's in the root application.cfc under onRequestStart(), any section with its own application.cfc doesn't check the root cfc, so the check isn't triggered.

I thought about putting it in the header or footer, but not all sections use the root header and footer, so that's not an option, either.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has thrown me even higher into the clouds. I was getting there with:

Based upon the pseudo structure I used in my original post, if I opened a browser and went to the root/index.cfm, which plants the cookie using <cfcookie domain=".example.com" name="bannerDOD" value="yes" /> (no expiry), then went to mov/index.cfm,...

I am now curious to know what happens about the cookie. In particular, what happens when you close the browser. Also, whether this is what you expect or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand your last post now. The different directories, and their respective applications, have no code to check for the existence of the cookie. Except the root Application file.

If this is correct, then you can just copy the code for checking the cookie to each application file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote:

If this is correct, then you can just copy the code for checking the cookie to each application file.

That's what I was hoping to avoid - there are many sub-apps within the root, and should anything need to be changed, then I'll have to manually update each and every one, separately.

Is there some sort of global file that can be added to the root?  One that CF knows to run on each sub-app?  Even if done within CFAdmin?

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The neatest solution I can think of in this situation is where the relevant Application CFCs extend the root application file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, BKBK​.  I'll look that up.  I know nothing of extending application.cfc, but this might just be the silver bullet I'm looking for.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come to think of it, Carl's is the better solution. It has greater abstraction, and less coupling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, guys.   I'll look up how to extend a cfc to all my Application.cfc files (many) and reference that from there.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an related alternative to what BKBK suggested, you can create a CFC that just has a function that does the cookie checking/logic and extend that in all your various Application.cfc files.  Then reference that function in onRequestStart().  You could even name the function onRequestStart and then do "super.onRequestStart()" or "<cfset super.onRequestStart()>" in each Application.cfc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation