• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 Responsive HTML5: child projects are not showing in master project output

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a master project and right now linking to two child projects. I published the child projects to the correct file in the master project's SSL location. When I generate the output of the master file, the TOC from the master project is fine, but no information from the child projects. I've searched the forums and other's website for answers and haven't been able to correct my problem.

Thanks,

MDawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Chris

I am sorry it has taken me so long to look in more detail but the good news is that the project you sent me is now working fine in both Firefox and IE.

The problem was the setup. You need to generate the parent to one folder which will then create folders ready for the child projects. Then you must generate each child to the child folder within the mergedProjects folder within the parent folder. You were generating to the !SSL! folder of each project.

Let me know if you want me to send the wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Have you checked to ensure the child projects still exist in the output location? I'm wondering because the first step of generating is often to clear the folder being generated to. Wondering if that process maybe clobbered the files you say you put there.

If so, maybe you need to restore them in the location.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2016_04_27_13_10_02_mergedProjects.png

Hi, Rick,

I checked the Master Project path to the mergedProject folder. l see listings for the child projects with the correct time. I see all the image files used in both child projects. I'm not seeing topic .htm files. Should I be? In earlier generated files, there are .htm files but no files displaying in the generated help.

2016_04_27_13_10_48_Bed_Census.png

Can I clear the mergedProjects folder and start over? Or is there something I do from within RoboHelp to clear the previous output?

Thanks,

MDawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Also, now when I generate my child project locally, because I need to create a zip file of just this project to send for review, there is no SSL file listed in Windows Explorer. I can view results fine within the project, but I cannot file the project file to zip to email.

Thanks,

MDawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can trash anything from the output folders. I suggest you also

regenerate the parent.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm still having trouble getting the content of the child projects to display in the master project. When I look at the content in the mergedProjects folder all the files are there now. But they do not show when I click on the TOC chapter to display the topics. Is there something else I need to do in the Master Project when I insert the function to link to a child project? I'm selecting the .xpj file for each child project in it's own project folders.

Thanks,

MDawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MDawn,

I have just come across the same issue. I resolved it by going back and republishing the Master project to the WebServer. The child projects then appeared in the TOC.

That might help you, it fixed it for me.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris

Assuming Folder 3 is the master, that is exactly how I advocate setting up a merge for reasons explained on my site. It has worked since RoboHelp X3.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear

Master

Child 1

Child 2

Is required if there are links between the master project and any child.

Master

Child 1

Child 2

This will only work if there are no master project / child project links. Links between child projects are OK.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Yes, your first example is how I have set up my help files for the last 20+ years. What I am saying is that from my recent attempts with Responsive HTML I found that this TOC layout did not work. It looks like it works, but the Index and Search do not merge and only contain the topics from the Master project. So I found that the following method did work:

Master

Child 1

Child 2

I don't have the time to test this again at present, but if I get a chance I will give it another go. So far I am not impressed with Responsive HTML5 and am not sure if I will proceed with using it or not.

Cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd. I did test Responsive Help and it all worked fine. I will test again. Would you be willing to share your project with me? See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry, my help site is secured and I am unable to share the project.

At this stage, with further testing, I am not sure what is going on. Every time I change and upload a child project the Index and Search functions loose all the merged topics and after selecting a child topic in the TOC, the TOC will jump to an unrelated topic in the Master project. If I republish the Master project it seems to fix some of this. However, I will test again using the former (your recommended) Master/Child layout and see it that helps.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try republishing all the projects, master first, each time you update just to see if that makes a difference.

If not, while there is no logic, try with a different layout.

Peter Grainge

See <http://www.grainge.org/> www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

Twitter @PeterGrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I have done some testing with your Merged Help sample project using Responsive HTML5 and have sent the results to you. I upgraded your project to RH 2015 and added a 2015  Screen Layout, 'Azure Blue'. I also added some topics to each child project and a browse sequence in each. I compiled and published the parent, then each child, then the parent again. The results I found in the final published HTML5 help are:

1) No browse buttons are shown. There are occasions when the they did appear but when they did they only worked within the child project.

2) Hyperlinks to child projects and topics within each child open in a new tab, even though they are set to the default "Page Default (none)".

3) Index shows nothing.

4) Search contains nothing.

I have tested using Chrome and Firefox browsers.

There is also an issue that Responsive HTML5 does not work correctly in IE9. This is a bug that I raised with Adobe (#4036581) and they acknowledged this was a problem and would be fixed. However, it hasn't been fixed and my bug has been closed with 'As Designed'?? They did give me a couple of workarounds but they really don't work.

This is more for your information, I don't expect you to supply any answers. I will keep 'tweeking' and see if I can improve the situation, but basically I have found that Responsive HTML5 appears to be still very flawed when it comes to Merged Projects.

Cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will download the project you have sent and take a look. Assuming I find the same, I will share it with Adobe.

As to Responsive help not working in IE9, I am surprised Adobe said they would fix it as the issue is that IE9 does not support CSS3 which is required for Responsive outputs, not just help outputs.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My initial finding is that this is an Internet Explorer and Edge problem and that it works OK in Firefox. Are you seeing the same?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2016 May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I see now that Adobe have updated the RH 2015 Help page replacing IE9 with IE10 in the Responsive HTML5 Layout - Supported Browsers section. Looking at the original RH 2015 Help text, it looks like they simply copied the Multiscreen Layout section and relabeled it as Responsive HTML5.

I have tested the sample project with Chrome and Firefox and found the same four issues are happening in both browsers. I am using Firefox 46.0.1 and Chrome 50.0.2661.94, which I believe are the latest versions. I do not have Edge and only IE9. However, other projects that I have where the Master project includes topics, the links will work correctly but the index and search only contain topics from the Master project. This can sometimes be fixed by republishing the Master project. At this time it all seems very inconsistent.

Cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris

I am sorry it has taken me so long to look in more detail but the good news is that the project you sent me is now working fine in both Firefox and IE.

The problem was the setup. You need to generate the parent to one folder which will then create folders ready for the child projects. Then you must generate each child to the child folder within the mergedProjects folder within the parent folder. You were generating to the !SSL! folder of each project.

Let me know if you want me to send the working version back to you.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW. I did delete the Azure Blue layout and update to the latest version of it. However, I think the real issue was the structure.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, that's fabulous. I don't know how you worked that out! It is all running much better now.

I still have issues with hyperlinks set to "Page Default (none)" sometimes opening in a separate tab, but it happens without any consistent pattern. It also only seems to happen from the Web Server, not when viewed locally. However, I can overcome that by setting the Hyperlinks to 'Same Frame".

Thanks again, I might now be able to use Responsive HTML5

Cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply by looking at the paths to which you were generating.

Is the problem with all users of a particular browser or is it some users have the problem and some don't. I am wondering if it is down either how specific browsers work and/or the settings of individual users.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

After doing some more testing I think this may have something to do with the way our security works on the webserver. I have tried the sample/test project on a non secure server and the links work as expected. On our secure server there is no logical pattern for the links failing, it is a random failure sequence on Chrome, Firefox and IE11 and varies each time you reopen the project. Don't worry any more about this issue, it seems to be our problem.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

After 4 months, I was able to get back to building and creating the Master Project with children projects. It worked! For some reason, time and re-reading your answer above, I was able to get the master project to work perfectly.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post such helpful and knowledgeable answers.

MDawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also check that your TOC in the Master Project does not have the child projects located within a folder, i.e.

- Folder 1

- Folder 2

- Folder 3

- Child Project 1

- Child Project 2

The WebServer doesn't seem to like this either. So try putting your child projects into the root of the Master Projects TOC, i.e.

- Folder 1

- Folder 2

- Child Project 1

- Child Project 2

Hope this helps.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is OK to have the master project and child projects at the same level but any links between a child topic and a master project topic will be broken.

@MDawn Why don't you download the demo merge setup from my site and compare that with your own. It's a small download. Use the RoboHelp 11 version and just upgrade as you go.

Can you share your projects? See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp