• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you change the First Topic page?

New Here ,
May 28, 2008 May 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first created my RoboHelp project, I named it and just put in the name of a topic for the first topic. That first topic is obviously the default page that loads when the project is generated. However, I would like to change the focus of the first topic to another topic (and have it load as the default one). How do I do this in an easier way than copying and pasting all the content from the first topic to the new topic and then typing in the first topic area the default content?

Thanks a million!
Natalie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you generate the help the first page of the wizard allows you to define any page you want as the default.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first screen asks you for two file names.

In the "Select Output Folder and Start Page" area, you provide the name of the file that will contain all the RH stuff (toolbar, Nav pane, Topic pane, etc.) that will display your help the way you want (call it index.htm, start.htm, whatever...)

In the "Default Topic" area, you provide the name of the topic that should be the first page displayed. (Although the text box appears dimmed, the text area is not read-only; you can either type a different name or press the Select button to browse for another file name.)

Good luck,
Leon

Good thing you got out of the way in time, Peter, or damage might have been done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is what I mean....when I first created the project I named the first topic. I then added a bunch of other topics to the same folder, fogetting that I had assigned the one topic as the first one (default). Is there a way to change it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon and I have both explained how to change which topic is the default. Is that not what you want to know?

I'm going to get out of here now before Leon returns.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the "Default Topic" area in RH7?
Can you get to it AFTER you have created the Project? That is where I am now. There is a new topic (named "Getting Started") that i want to be the default. However, when I initially created the project, another topic is set to the default page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained that in my first reply.

When you generate the help, the first page of the wizard allows you to define any page you want as the default.

How are you generating your webhelp? Have you got that far yet? Is this your first time with RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This IS my first time in RH, but I think where the confusion with my posts and what I am asking is that you are referring to the wizard for when I first created the project, named it and named a First Topic page. Am I correct that this is what you are referring to? I am not talking about that.

I have already created a project and named a default topic. (which yes, at THAT time I was asked for the name of my first topic and I gave it one).
Since then, I have created numerous topics now within this project and want to change the topic I originally set as my default.

I don't use a wizard to generate the project, I click the Generate Primary Layout icon on the menu bar...is this not correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking that button, unfortunately, bypasses the wizard.

Instead, select File > Generate Primary Layout. The resulting WebHelp General - WebHelp window is the first window we're talking about.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Natalie

After you find that page that Leon and Peter have been telling you about, note that the area Leon mentioned, the one that appears "dimmed" actually is a "Read only" area. You will not be able to simply type a new name there. To change the Default topic, you must click the "Select..." button and nominate a new Default topic using that approach.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Natalie

After seeing a few of the posts you have made here, I feel compelled to ask if you have considered some training so you might come up to speed quickly.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2008 May 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks leon and Peter - I found where you are talking about and clicked the Select button to select the topic.

Rick- Yes, I just took training 3 weeks ago, but didn't ask about changing the default topic because in the training we just named the first topic whatever the activity stated. I learned how to create and delete topics, but not change the default one. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp