Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Download stowaway

May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was just prompted to download Flash, but got a stowaway. Some creature now on my computer replaced my home page with this: Search - SearchTech.  Also, a character with a motorcycle helmet keeps popping up and asking me to scan. It also tries to "store" my data. This is scary. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Hi locuto26 ,

Unfortunately, you were tricked into using a malicious Flash Player installer.  Search - SearchTech​ is NOT a third-party software offered by Adobe. If you have the link from where you downloaded this malicious installer from, please private message it to me.  Adobe takes this situations seriously and actively goes after these malicious actors.

In the meantime, I agree with CS's recommendation.  You'll want to use reputable anti-virus, malware, adware, etc scanner(s) to scan your sys

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you DL malwarebytes. Update the definitions and do a full scan, and clean it up?

Ninite Malwarebytes Unattended Silent Installer and Updater

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Carm01, but I don't know how to do those things. I'm just a poet, not a programmer. Can you be more specific?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did provide a link, don't you know how to click on it? How did you get to these forums and get a username; Google perhaps? Its that simple to ask google a question such as how to use Malwarebytes.

Let me google that for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to be insulting, Carm01. I did not click on your link because I am now skittish about downloading anything. Surely this is understandable. Was waiting for confirmation from you or others. I'm fairly proficient at finding info, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help. Clear communication is a wonderful thing. To be on the safe side, I purchased a good Norton package and got help from Norton in eliminating the unwanted programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi locuto26 ,

Unfortunately, you were tricked into using a malicious Flash Player installer.  Search - SearchTech​ is NOT a third-party software offered by Adobe. If you have the link from where you downloaded this malicious installer from, please private message it to me.  Adobe takes this situations seriously and actively goes after these malicious actors.

In the meantime, I agree with CS's recommendation.  You'll want to use reputable anti-virus, malware, adware, etc scanner(s) to scan your system for any unwanted programs and infections.

--

Maria

P.S.  I deleted your duplicate postWhat else did I download? .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, m_vargas. It was when I was checking out some sites for production companies. I think it popped up at: la.beverlyboy.com/west/. I really need to know how to get this crap off of my computer. Where do I start?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm sorry, but removing malware/adware/viruses/etc is beyond the scope of these forums and not an area of my expertise.  If you're uncomfortable searching the web for reputable sources to assist with this (there are many) and performing the tasks that will be asked of you, I recommend finding a good reputable firm near you where you can take your computer to to have it fixed.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines