• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

freeing up space in lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am a fairly busy commercial and corporate photographer.  I routinely edit 20K images per month in lightroom.  My system is to import, edit, export, deliver and backup.  I don't really need the lightroom catalog/collection system because I have all my unedited and finished work backup up on external hard drives and online.  My machine has 2TB of memory and is is filled with images in lightroom, I have about 30GB free and my machine is bogging down and I can't import any new work.  I can find tons of tutorials about how to organize and backup catalogs and collections, but not how to actually delete them.  I have a project to get done and I don't think I have time for an overnight or 24  hr backup project, I just want to delete a few dozen jobs and free up 300-400 gb to get back to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks very much- Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

If you ae working with multiple catalogs, then you can delete older ones together with it's associated preview and Smart-preview folders.

However, this will not free a lot of disk space. To really free up disk space, you'll need to move the image files itself.

Make sure to also check on the Backup folder because this is filling up and LR does not remove older ones.

How to create and manage catalogs in Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you ae working with multiple catalogs, then you can delete older ones together with it's associated preview and Smart-preview folders.

However, this will not free a lot of disk space. To really free up disk space, you'll need to move the image files itself.

Make sure to also check on the Backup folder because this is filling up and LR does not remove older ones.

How to create and manage catalogs in Photoshop Lightroom

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I suggest you read-

Catalog Strategies | dpBestflow

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you start a brand new catalog? After restarting you can delete the old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is taking up space on your hard drive is not the LR catalog or catalogs you have. Those are just Database files and relatively small in size compared to the actual image files.

The thing that IS taking up space it the actual image files, whether they are referenced in the LR database file (The Catalog File) or not.

Since you have backups of those image files you can Delete them from the internal drive of your computer. You can do that In LR or outside of LR with the File Manager program for your OS. If done outside of LR you will them have to Remove them from the LR catalog.

Just deleting LR catalog files, if you have more than one, will not free up a lot of hard drive space. LR does not store images inside the catalog file. It is just a Database file that References, Creates a Record in the database of, where the actual file is located on your hard drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, don't put new photos on the internal drive. Put them on an external or network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for all of the responses.  I am learning that a lot of people seem to use LR as an organizing system, most of these responses talk about catalogs and how to organize them, which is not useful to me.  I use LR as an editing tool, my only goal is to import a few thousand photos at a time, edit them, then export and deliver them, then I want to do the same thing every day without filling up my computer storage and memory.  I have 30 GB left on a 2 TB machine.  Is there a quick or easy way to simply free up space?  LR appears to be hoarding over half a million images against my will.  Where can navigate or click to remove these? The most frustrating thing is that there is not a clear way to just select something and delete it, I keep hearing how that won't free up very much space....which is my main goal right now.  I do not need a an event from two years ago in a catalog or on my machine, I have it delivered to the client and backed up to the cloud and on a hard drive, I can access it in 2 minutes if I need to.  Thanks very much, I appreciate all your help- sorry for not adapting to the catalog system, it is not useful to me, I am only interested in using LR for the editing capabilities.   Sincerely, Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a quick or easy way to simply free up space?

This was explained by McLion in reply #1 ("To really free up disk space, you'll need to move the image files itself.") and also by Just Shoot Me in reply #4 ("Since you have backups of those image files you can Delete them from the internal drive of your computer. You can do that In LR or outside of LR with the File Manager program for your OS. If done outside of LR you will them have to Remove them from the LR catalog.")

I use LR as an editing tool, my only goal is to import a few thousand photos at a time, edit them, then export and deliver them, then I want to do the same thing every day without filling up my computer storage and memory.

As I said in reply #5, if you don't want to fill up your internal HD, don't put the images on the internal HD in the future. Put them on an external HD or network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks very much for the reply.  

Answer #1 says to free up space, I should move the file itself, but not how to do it.  That is my question.  It also tells me to check on the backup folder, but not how to do that.  If there is a way to delete a backup folder, my question would be how to do that.

In your answer you correctly identified the fact that I don't want to fill up my hard drive and should put images on an external drive, but not how to do it.  If there is a quick or easy way to do that, I would like to learn about it.  I have a brand new 4TB external drive sitting here and my main goal would be to find where any of these catalogs, collections, previews, images etc exist and just drag them out of LR, off my computer onto the external in case I ever need them, then delete them from my computer and get back to work.  LR seems determined to force me into saving and organizing old work I was done with long ago, but no way to find or delete it.  Is it naive to ask if there is an easy way to do that?  Would adobe consider a version of LR for people who simply want to edit photos with it?  Is there a reason it is so difficult to delete photos from Lightroom?  It would be like a pocket calculator saving and organizing all the information I have ever put into it, until it is choking on it, and assuming I want it all organized, when I  just want to use it as a tool to do some math problems as they arise.

sorry for not getting what seems to be very obvious and intuitive to the rest of you.  When I make time to sit in front of my computer I only want to power out an edit and get to the next one, not spend lots of time housekeeping and organizing.  And I do appreciate very much all of you taking the time to help.  It seems like a simpler version of LR would appeal to a huge market.  Bring a job in, edit it, deliver it, back it up somewhere and delete it, repeat as necessary.  Am I crazy to want that level of simplicity?  I would gladly pay someone to come in here and talk me through it maybe I should do that.

Thanks very much again for your help.  Maybe I should explain I am 51 years old, and had to make the traumatic switch from analog/chemical photography in 2001-2002 to digital after 25 years in a darkroom.  I have always learned digital tools as I need them, and this is my project for today.

Thank all of you very much - Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at this video and see if this helps and gives you an idea: Move folders around in Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

Post back otherwise.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your answer you correctly identified the fact that I don't want to fill up my hard drive and should put images on an external drive, but not how to do it.  If there is a quick or easy way to do that, I would like to learn about it.

When you import photos into Lightroom, you can select the COPY Option and then instruct Lightroom to place the files on an external HD. You do this in the Destination section (it's on the right) of the Import dialog box.

OR

Copy the photos from the camera card to the external HD (using your operating system) and then import the photos using the ADD option.

LR seems determined to force me into saving and organizing old work I was done with long ago, but no way to find or delete it.  Is it naive to ask if there is an easy way to do that?

In Lightroom, you can select a photo, or a folder of photos, or many photos, or many folders, and then press the delete key. You will get an option that allows you to choose to remove the files from Lightroom, or remove the files from Lightroom and from the hard disk.

Please understand that your edits are stored in Lightroom so doing this will causes you to LOSE the edits.

Another option is to move the photos to a different disk, either within Lightroom, or using your operating system. This gets them off your internal HD and retains the edits. McLion has given a link to do this in Lightroom; a better approach (and safer in my opinion), is given in the section entitled Part 2 — Updating Folder Location of this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Would adobe consider a version of LR for people who simply want to edit photos with it?

I'm 101% convinced the answer is NO. If you really want to only edit the photos, you can use the Adobe software called Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I felt like I was getting close to a way to delete, with the instructions to select a folder and then press the delete key.  However, the delete key does not respond or provide a menu of removal options like you described.  Logic would dictate it would just say "are you sure you want to delete this folder?"   and I would click YES!!!!  (and  PLEASE! if there was a please key)  At this point I have removed everything I can from my computer memory and I have about 100GB free, the rest of my memory is taken up by images locked in lightroom.  I hope the 100gb will be enough for it to think and at least to get through a huge edit.  I have started a new catalog on a new external 4TB hard drive and I will have to see if that fills up my 100gb when I import about 4K raw files I need to edit which look to be about 200GB.

Is there a trick to getting lightroom to obey the delete key?  I can see the folders, I can open them and I can select them but I can't delete them.  I am trying to understand how this is not a problem for every lightroom user at some point.  I am aware I am shooting and edting an unusally large amount of photos, but I don't understand why it is any of lightrooms business where my photos are or what I want to do with them.  I see all the question marked folders of photos from over a year ago, they are all delivered, I have been paid for the job, the photos are backed up on external hard drives and online right where I want them.  And I don't want them on my computer any more. I would be the first in line to buy a full manual version of this great software that allowed me to use it just for editing and not for a mandatory, huge and unnecessary organizing and cataloging project of years of my work, I already have it.  Lightroom appears to assume I need constant access to everything I have ever done, and wants to archive it using my computers storage space.  I work on Mac and PC all day every day, but I definitely prefer to be in charge and tell the computer and software what I want to do instead of the other way around.  I found it interesting in the kelby video where the instructor talked about "breaking the rules"  in lightroom.  Why would I want any program I buy and use to have rules?  It seems like I should at least have the option to turn them off- there should be a "disable organizing?" button.  yes please.

Anyway, thanks all of you for your help, I think I am getting close to a solution, my frustration is just having to spend time figuring this out when I really need to just bear down on a 12 hour edit.  I have a few friends who are good at this stuff like you guys, I might just hire one of them to come help me out.

thank you very much all of you for your time and I will let you know how I get this figured out.  Sincerely, Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images are not LOCKED in LR. LR is just a Database program. Whether or not you have imported images into LR has nothing to do with Deleting them using the File Manager program that comes with all operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my bad.

To delete a folder, in Lightroom you can right-click on the folder and select Remove...

You would then have to also delete the same folder using your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen Jared Platt on CreativeLIve recommend-

1. Select a FOLDER and images in the Master LR catalog that is a 'JOB' or 'Project' to be archived.

2. Export as a Catalog INCLUDING "Negatives"- saving the exported 'Job' catalog to an external drive that will be an archive. (or then copy to a DVD.  One DVD for each job?)

3. Remove the selected folder in the Master LR catalog. (LR protects folders from deletion should they contain non-image files)

4. Copy any relevant non-image files (word documents, copyright release forms, etc) from internal to the external archive.

5. Delete the selected folder from the internal Hard-drive using Explorer/Finder.

This method will archive all images with a corresponding catalog that can be accessed at any time in the future should the need arise, and remove them from the Master Catalog and computer hard-drive memory.

The Master catalog has the advantage that all the Preferences and Presets are always available for your workflow and is used to Import then 'Export as Catalog' each job  as you wish to 'remove' it from the Master.

If you only ever do 'jobs' that will be archived, your internal drive and master catalog need only contain the 'current' job being developed!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm late to this, but agree with scottg92539156. It's not merely that Lightroom messes around with your files, but it archives them under /user/ in Windows, which is user inaccessible. I have deleted Lightroom altogether due to its unpleasant habits, but these files remain; or would do if I hadn't used a subtle tool that gets around Window's restrictions. I'm not going to reference this as it can do untold damage if you just go in guns blazing.

Adobe has a pretty arrogant way with a person's work flow - why, for example, can you not alter a RAW image in Photoshop? Because A. has taken the arbitrary decision that the original is to be sacrosanct. But almost everyone deletes them once they are processed, so the whole thing si simply mad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not "mess" around with your original photo files. It puts them where YOU (the human user) tell Lightroom to put them. That's all it does.

As far as never changing the original RAW, I believe 99.99% of Lightroom users want it that way. I have never heard a single person argue that it should change your original RAWs. It is not an arbitrary decision.

Most people do NOT delete their original RAW photos after processing.

Lightroom makes a lot of sense to a lot of people. If it doesn't make sense to you, then you shouldn't be using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Oliver+Sparrow  wrote

I'm late to this, but agree with scottg92539156. It's not merely that Lightroom messes around with your files, but it archives them under /user/ in Windows, which is user inaccessible.

Just to confirm...are you using Lightroom CC, or Lightroom Classic CC?

Because Lightroom Classic CC defaults to a user folder that's fully visible and accessible on Windows and Mac, but Lightroom CC creates a less accessible library where the images are hidden by default. (Not sure about Windows, but on the Mac even though the Lightroom CC library is initially inaccessible, it only takes a modifier key to get in there and reach the originals, although that's not a good idea.)

Adobe has a pretty arrogant way with a person's work flow - why, for example, can you not alter a RAW image in Photoshop? Because A. has taken the arbitrary decision that the original is to be sacrosanct. But almost everyone deletes them once they are processed, so the whole thing si simply mad.

No, Adobe has not made an arrogant or "arbitrary decision." You'll see the proof of that if you try to find a raw editing program that does what you want. You won't find one. No one does that, because it isn't possible.

Raw isn't a standard format. It's a straight dump of the sensor bits, different for every camera. If you try to save image edits to it, there is technically nowhere to put them in the file, therefore the XMP files are necessary. The only edit any raw program allows is of the EXIF metadata, but that's not the image itself.

There is one solution to your problem, and that's to treat raw files the same way every camera does. When a camera is not saving raw files (because it only saves JPEG or is set to save JPEG):

1. The camera records a raw file.
  2. It makes the adjustments that its firmware is programmed to do (conversion to RGB, default sharpness and color, etc.).
  3. It saves the final non-raw file containing adjustments (the JPEG).
  4. It throws out the raw file.

You could do the same thing. You could use Lightroom to import raw files to any folder you like, make your edits, export your JPEGs, and then when you're done, throw out the folder of raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Raw isn't a standard format.

Indeed, which is why I specified .dng. Any and all of these .nef, whatever, are altered by the Adobe Raw app  I know, with a sidecar - but any further changes that you may make are not saved. This is an anomaly. It means that you have a heap of NEFs that are converted to DNGs which are converted to whatever you export from p/shop. CC is at least able to work directly on NEFs, which CS6 wasn't. It's just a sad mess. As many files are now huge - over a hundred mb, with a grade 12 JPEG from a  full sized Nikon D850 image - this generates considerable clutter.

As to Lightroom, I've dumped it. You can do the lot in Bridge + P/shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Raw isn't a standard format.

Indeed, which is why I specified .dng. Any and all of these .nef, whatever, are altered by the Adobe Raw app  I know, with a sidecar - but any further changes that you may make are not saved. This is an anomaly. It means that you have a heap of NEFs that are converted to DNGs which are converted to whatever you export from p/shop. CC is at least able to work directly on NEFs, which CS6 wasn't. It's just a sad mess. As many files are now huge - over a hundred mb, with a grade 12 JPEG from a  full sized Nikon D850 image - this generates considerable clutter.

As to Lightroom, I've dumped it. You can do the lot in Bridge + P/shop.

I think you are slightly to greatly confused.

Neither the built in version of Adobe Camera RAW in LR or the PS (Bridge stand Alone) plugin ACR changes the original file. In fact I don't know of any good RAW converter/editor that does change RAW files. It allows you to make edits, adjustments, to certain parameters of the display of a RAW file and saves those edits, adjustments, in either a database file or to a XMP sidecar file and only overlays those edits on the original RAW file.

In the case of DNG, JPG, TIFF and PSD files if you use the adobe RAW editor to apply edits to those files then those edits can be store in the original file in a special section of those files but it still does not change the original data in those files. If viewing any of them outside the Adobe RAW editor, ACR, you will not see any of those edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Just Shoot Me: I think you will find that I said everything which you have man'splained. My point was not that this happened, but that it was annoying that it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that we've heard your reasons, you might be able to get what you want more efficiently in Lightroom than in ACR+Bridge.

If what you want is to save raw and edits in a single file, and DNG is acceptable, then have you already considered doing an all-DNG workflow in Lightroom?

For new files, in the Lightroom Import dialog box, import raw files with the Copy as DNG option so that you never have to deal with the raw files. They will all be imported DNG. If you select the preference to Automatically Write Changes to XMP, then it will always keep the DNG files updated as you edit them. Is there a difference between that and what you want?

If it would work for you, then the next question is how to deal with your already imported raw files. Lightroom has a built-in command for this: Library > Convert Photos to DNG, which has an option to Delete Originals After Successful Conversion. Once you do that and the DNG import option, you should have a no clutter, all DNG catalog in Lightroom. And I don't think Bridge has any equivalent to that.

I don't think that's as easy in ACR+Bridge, because if you don't import as DNG through Adobe Photo Downloader, the only way to get DNGs out of ACR is through the Save button, and unlike Lightroom you have to delete the raws manually. Lightroom has ways to automate conversion of both past and future raw files to DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I already convert to .dng as a first step, and dump the .nefs. However, you can't save to dng from p/shop, which vitiates the entire exercise. So you end up doing colour correction and balance on .dngs, then taking them into p/shop and saving them as something else. Which makes three files types, three purges. As Lr is superfluous to all of that, I have deleted it. And the 15 GB cache that it had built up in my /users/ directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple answer is use the File Manager for your OS. Finder for Mac and Windows/File Explorer for Windows, to Delete the images that are on your internal drives. Search your drives for the RAW file extension for the make of camera you are using and Select All, Hit the Delete key or Right Click and select Delete or Move to Trash. Then empty the Recycle bin or the Trash can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's me in my place. Your insight into what "most" people do, including OP, is no doubt revealing. However, have a a look at your /user/ files and find a couple of Gb of duplicated images.

My remark on .raw files is that if I have tweaked them in the filter, taken them into P/shop and done stuff to them I want to save them. I am not permitted to overwrite the source file, or even save in .dng format. This is pretty sad, as it makes .raw an alien that get partially updated and acquires masses of .xml files as sidecars. This is a stupid limitation on workflow, and as most take hundreds of pictures for each one that they use, it is a nonsense to treat the as holy relics.

Now snub away. I don't use LR any more, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines