Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot associate ACSM files with Adobe Digital Editions in Windows 7

New Here ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having trouble associating ACSM files with Adobe Digital Editions. Because I was getting a Kobo error with version 4.5 I had to uninstall the program and downgrade to version 3.0. Now Windows will not allow me to associate ACSM files with the program: When I right-click on the file, cloose "Open with" and "Choose default program" the "Open with dialogue opens, but ADE does not appear. I use the Browse option to navigate to digitaleditions.exe and have tried double-clicking and right-click-selecting, but ADE doesn't show up when the Browse window closes.

I checked the following six registry entries

- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.ACSMessage\shell\open\command

- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.DigitalEditions\shell\open\command

- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.EPUB\shell\open\command

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.ACSMessage\shell\open\command

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.DigitalEditions\shell\open\command

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.EPUB\shell\open\command

The "default" values all point to the right executable like this: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions 3.0\digitaleditions.exe" "%1"

I did a search and have found VARIOUS entries with the same problem, but none of them has been answered. Has anyone resolved this? Are there any suggestions?

Thanks for your attention,

Kurt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you uninstalled v4.5.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Caroler,

Thanks for responding:

There were other versions of ADE installed on the computer (2.0 and 4.5) before downgrading to 3.0 (4.5 wasn't fully authorizing the Kobo, which was yielding a DRM error when you tried to open DRM-protected eBooks on the device). The other versions may not have been uninstalled initially, but 3.0 is currently the only version on the computer.

I've seen this problem before with a different computer, and was wondering if anyone knows of any resolution to this problem (there are multiple other posts with the same issue that have been posted over the last year; I'm quite surprised that Adobe hasn't offered any solution.).

Are there any registry entries that can be edited to fix this?

Any help is most appreciated.

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to go through the same steps recently to associate ADE 4.5.1 with .acsm files, and had no problem. I use Windows 10, but from your post I suspect you are using an older OS. Perhaps it is a problem stemming from the authorisation of the new ADE version. The post 2151618 gives the solution which is to delete a hotkey, after which you will need to re-authorise the ADE  :-

Correct Answerby cselhost on Dec 8, 2015 10:47 AM

Your authorization file will need to be manually deleted.

You need to delete out a few registry keys to clear the activation for ADE. You must have administration authority.

On Windows it can be found here:
Open Windows Registry by using the command prompt and typing 'regedit' or by opening the start menu and searching for 'regedit'.

Search for the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept\Activation

The 'Activation' folder can be entirely deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey again,

It is installed on a Windows 7 machine.

The only thing is that everything is working properly except for the association: if you force open an ACSM file by dragging-and-dropping it onto an open ADE window the eBook is downloaded and can be transferred onto an eReader. Will altering the authorization really correct this?

Cheers,

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know why it should be the answer, but if it is the only thing left

to try, then it is worth trying, if you are comfortable with editing

registry entries. If you do try it, create a recovery point first, just in

case.

I use a windows 7 tablet with ADE 4.5.1 to download library books onto a

Kobo and it all works properly, so there is no inherent problem with 4.5.1.

If all else fails, try deleting ADE again, deleting the authorisation

hotkey, (this was probably the reason why 4.5.1 didn't work originally)

then reinstalling 4.5.1.

I suppose it all depends on how desparate you are to get it to work

properly.!

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines