• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate Help System

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have conditional tags applied to my help topics and am trying to generate an initial version by defining the tags to include in the output and exclude in the output.

I get basically a blank screen and the output view shows about 4 files processed. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting things up so that the expression states what NOT to include.

Also, could you go to the post you raised a while back when you could not get RH to start. Someone else is having the same issue and you input could help. Thanks.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy.

This sounds like you have most of the topics tagged with a conditional build tag and the expression in the single source layout is not correct. Can you give us a little more detail of your tag setup and the expression you used.

BTW if you want a topic to be included in the output, you do not need to tag it. By tagging a topic and excluding the tag in the expression, excludes the tagged topics but includes all untagged topics or those tagged with a different tag. Could this be the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! Treading on your toes again Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have the conditional expression define set up correctly:
Topics with admpos and stdtopics tags are selected for output (available tags) and the rest are not used (listed under exclude from output).
This is basically how I did things in RH 2002.

I do not have a server defined yet, but I am trying to publish, just generate a temporary html output. My default topic, start page does not come either, just an empry browser with TOC, Index and Search areas but no content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you generate without any build expression? Do you still get and empty topic pane?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried a build without expressions defined and still no content. This is what is shown in the Output View pane: Updating HTML topics...
Updating admpos/fields.htm...
Updating baspos/fields_bas.htm...
Updating mfdpos/fields_mfd.htm...
Updating omspos/fields_oms.htm...
Finished updating HTML topics in 0 sec(s) : total 4 topic(s).

I do have the project files organized by folders and conditional tags applied to files in each folder. Could the folders be part of the problem? Should I have everything in one main folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to get things straight. Your default topic has no build tags anywhere - not even on contents inside it? And you have the Conditional Build Tag expression inside your single source layout set to "None"? The topics not displaying has nothing to do with folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, all topics, including the default start page topic, have a build tag(s) applied to them.
I have not yet used the conditional tag for content inside a topic.
Hmm, I guess the random four topics being compiled do not have any tag applied? I have been trying to hunt them down in the project. I am trying to compile one of the help modules -- specifying the relevant conditional tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I think a little example is called for. You have a project with three topics (topica, topicb and topicc). Topica has not tag as it is to appear in all examples of the help. Either topicb or topicc are are to appear depending on a sepcific circumstance. So you tag topicb with an "b" tag and topicc with an "c" tag. When you compile you specifiy whether to exclude tag b or c. If you exclude b, topica is included as it has not tag. Topicc is included as it doesn't have tagb. Only topicb is exlcuded as it does have tag b. Does this make things clearer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you that helps. I was able to compile a version yesterday with no define specified. I will go back and reexamine my applied tags. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp