Exit

GTX 1080

Explorer ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a confirmation on this card

GTX 1080 Graphics Card | GeForce

it looks like an absolute beast and not overly expensive - looking forward to trying it. is there any reason why it wont be supported in PR?

Cheers

Gareth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder what computer specs will justify using a card that powerful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking forward to what Eric Bowen will have to say about the minimum necessary CPU required to push that 1080 to its potential. I watched the NVidia live stream event and was impressed at the claims of massive performance increases along with energy efficiency.

I am guessing that the flagship Broadwell E will be a good match !! NVidia is touting at least a 30% performance increase over Titan X at far less wattage AND cost !!  They also claim " insane overclockability".  The 9xx series Maxwells did not allow much overclocking.

NVidia claimed a stock clock speed of over 2,000 Mhz and over 5,000Mhz on the memory clock speed for the 1080 !!...all with 8 GB of blazing fast new DDR 5X memory !!

I have to laugh as my not too shabby Asus gaming laptop GPU sports 2GB of plain DDR5 video memory and even overclocked to the max is running at 915 Mhz clock speed and 3,000Mhz on the memory clock speed !!...( stock is 700Mhz and 2,000 Mhz, respectively ).

This new possible CPU and GPU combination on the X99 board is going to be powerful.....no need for multiple graphics cards.

I've seen some benchmarks on the 6950X Broadwell E flagship CPU done with engineering samples and the results indicate a modest performance gain over the 5960X Haswell E flagship CPU of about 10% in multi threaded tasks. Its too bad that the Broadwell E will NOT be offered at a decent price, like NVidia is doing with Pascal. Intel will get an extra $500 for 2 extra cores and a slightly lower clockspeed with overclocking.......only 4.2 to 4.3, so far on the engineering samples. $1,500 for a Broadwell E is going to hurt !

I hope Eric tests this new combination soon ,like he did with Haswell E and posts the results on this forum !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping that this is not another CUDA limited product like the Maxwell cards are.  Maxwell cards fall back in the memory clock as soon as you run any CUDA application.  Power Consumption is a major goal for nVidia and CUDA took a hit with Maxwell so for all the great specs for Pascal we will have to wait and see on this new GTX 10 series if the samething happens

Also note that you do not get this new great performance memory on the GTX 1070.  The quoted 10 Gbps on the GDDR5X memory is only on the GTX 1080.  The GTX 1070 only has standard GDDR5 7 Gbps memory.  With my GTX 970 rated at 7 Gbps when you run any CUDA application it falls back to 6 Gbps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2016 May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a 5960x overclocked to 4.3GHz running stable (i did have it at 4.5GHz but it didnt like long renders out of PR)

i'm guessing (hoping ) that will be enough to push a GTX1080?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will be benchmarking the X99 and other platforms again with the current Adobe CC version when we get the 10 core i7 in for testing. Still waiting for it to arrive. We will definitely be benchmarking the new 1080GTX card as well. Based on what I have seen with the Pascal cards focused on GPU acceleration, the performance increase should be significant if Adobe's GPU acceleration utilizes it completely.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excited to see your results! Please bump up this post when you have them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us know when you have benchmark results with the Adobe CC benchmarks suite.

Does anyone know of any Autodesk benchmarks that are out yet?  Or any with any render software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i havent seen any benchmarks yet - initally it was due to launch this Friday, hope thats still the case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still waiting for the 1080GTX cards to arrive in NA. We just got our sample 6950X chips from Intel. The bios updates on the previous rev Asus X99 boards work fine with the chip so far. Currently switched to the new X99 Rev 2 boards to build the benchmarking image. Nice boards so far.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric Id be interested to see how they benchmark against the 5960x (which i'm running overclocked at 4.3GHz)

on a side note i'm looking at my storage set up - currently got a mixture of storage (12TB Raid 5, couple of SSD's (480GB) and and intel 750 series 400GB PCI card. i was wondering if i purchased a Samsung 950 pro M.2 drive could I install in in the m.2 slot on my Asus x99-s MB and raid that and the Intel drive together to give me a very fast (robust) media drive for running PPro?

thanks

Gareth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAIDing two entirely different devices is not recommended!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill. Why is that? Is it not the same as RAIDing a couple of SSD's?

thanks

gareth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have two different vendors there are good chances there are two different controllers and it is a real possibility that certain commands could be handled differently.  I remember back in the days of hard disk drive RAID that manufacturers would suggest that even the firmware in the RAID drive set be made identical

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/GTX-1070-and-GTX-1080-Premiere-Pro-Performance-810/   Pre...iere benches are here!

Now I want to know whether or not it makes sense to pickup the 1070 (should be here today) or buy a used 980ti.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking at those benchmarks my hopes for a real performance improvement with the 10 series sure have been crushed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can see that   However, if you're like me and coming from a 760 card I can have the performance of the beloved 980ti/Titan x for far less money.  I'm surprised at the low performance of the titan x! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a large gaming PC and do heavy video editing. The 1080 is great for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I bit the bullet and ordered the 1080 today! its arriving tomorrow, cant wait to see how it performs. will let you know

Thanks

Gareth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got my 1080 founders edition and it doesn't work with r3d files, it was working with my gtx 770. This is not good !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine is arriving today - out of interest is it only R3D files you cant preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't specify, is this with the latest 1080-only driver from NVidia

that was mentioned above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware there is only driver 368.25 for the gtx 1080.  Are there others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines