• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 responds very slowly

New Here ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong category, but it seems the general RoboHelp category has been removed.

I recently upgraded from RoboHelp 11 to RoboHelp 2015 on my Windows 2008 computer. I installed the available updates, patch 2 I believe, so there are no updates that I'm currently missing.

I have converted my project, but when I started to work in RoboHelp I noticed that it responds very slowly. I'm really just trying to add new topics and edit existing ones; I haven't tried creating any output yet (normally, I would use the Microsoft HTML Help and WebHelp options). I have not experienced any problems with my projects before upgrading. It is the same size and saved in the same location as before.

So the slowliness I experience applies to pretty basic operations:

• clicking the RoboHelp icon in my Windows task bar
  • loading a topic in RH
  • clicking anywhere in the text; it takes a pretty long time before the cursor appears where I want it to
  • selecting text
  • typing; I'm typing away, but can't see on the screen what I'm writing

It just feels... slow, which I'm not at all used to.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Annnnd lemme guess here and speculate wildly.

Your project is stored on a network drive?

If so, close the project, move it to your local C drive. (Preferably in a folder such as C:\Projects\YourProjectNameHere)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annnnd lemme guess here and speculate wildly.

Your project is stored on a network drive?

If so, close the project, move it to your local C drive. (Preferably in a folder such as C:\Projects\YourProjectNameHere)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, and I appreciate the irony... Guess I'm not the first one asking this question. Is it a new recommendation to store the project on the local drive since I haven't experienced these problems before?

I moved the .xpj file to my C: drive as you suggested. The only problem now is that the project is empty. No topics or books are in it. Do I have to move them to the same location too?!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Yep, the xpj just contains pointers to other content. The project is all files and folders.

Nope, recommendation isn't a new one. We have always recommended projects be stored locally. But recent versions of RoboHelp made some accommodations to allow some network usage. You just hit that spot where it once worked just dandy and now suddenly it's See RoboHelp. See RoboHelp Crawl.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your time.

I moved the project files too, and everything is much faster and more responsive now.

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The general forum is still at RoboHelp but since RoboHelp for Word was killed off, this is the best place to post general questions anyway.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp