• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't authorize Digital Editions - says could not connect to activation server

New Here ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 on a Windows 7 computer.

I was using Adobe Digital Edition unauthorized to read library eBooks, then decided to authorize it so I could access my library books elsewhere as well. I downloaded some books, then I started getting authentication errors. I couldn't erase the authorization through Adobe Digital Editions to try to redo it, I kept getting errors. I followed the instructions for editing the Registry, which removed the old authorization, and now I can select "authorize your computer". But when I enter my Adobe ID and password, I get the error message:

"Digital Editions could not connect to the activation server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet."

My computer is connected to the Internet - that's how I'm connected to this discussion. I have uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Digital Editions, and the same thing happens.  Any suggestions? I prefer Adobe Digital Editions to alternatives, but if this activation problem can't be fixed I won't have any choice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

I read through other similar posts and found one that said they uninstalled 4.5 and installed 3.0 instead. I did that and was able to authorize ADE (no problem connecting to the internet) and download eBooks from our library again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Edition has no access to the server. Check the Firewall or other Securtiy Programs. Also add the Program as sure program to the security programms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read through other similar posts and found one that said they uninstalled 4.5 and installed 3.0 instead. I did that and was able to authorize ADE (no problem connecting to the internet) and download eBooks from our library again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine that you can solved your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dammit!!!

That worked in that it allowed me to get past the Activation Server and authorize my computer, but now no matter whether I try and use version 3.0 (cannot connect to fulfillment server) or 4.5.2 (Error!: check activation) I still cannot get either to add the file to my library despite having downloaded it and placed it in the correct directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem.  I've deleted all Adobe files on my computer and installed 3.0, but still getting the message "Connection error detected.  Digital editions could not connect to the fulfillment center.  Please make sure you are connected to the internet."  Obviously I'm connected to the internet because I'm writing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE problem is that version 3.0 cannot deal with the new file type ACSM that our library's service provider (Overdrive) has recently switched to.  That was WHY I updated to 4.5.2.  It previously used ePUB which worked fine for ~18 months, but the problem is still active in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ever find a solution to this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

probably network security or firewall. switched my network from wired to the guest wifi at work and was able to authorize. worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!!!!!

None of the prior steps helped me at all.  However, what I just did that worked was to delete ALL versions of ADE on my computer and reinstall version 4.0. 

I had updated from v3.0 to v4.5.2 to deal with the ASCM files type but got in the same endless loop of failure to authorize or failure to connect to authentication server, both errors (falsely) suggesting I was not connect to the internet.

The registry editing, DE-authorizing/re-authorizing, shutting down windows firewall/Norton antivirus etc. just cycled me through these error messages without solving the problem. 

I don't even know when v4.0 was downloaded or if it was automatic at some point, but by uninstalling v3.0 and v4.5 and selectively installing v4.0 everything worked the way it should.

I must say I found the chat people with whom you connect when you click the Help tab in ADE was worthless (actually worse than worthless since the snarkily pointed out it was free if necessary software and therefor not supported) and the Forum articles simply cycled me through useless and sometimes scary (deactivating all my PC's security features) steps without resolving the problem.

V4.0 works as it should.   Now I just have to figure out how to assure it will not auto-update and put me back in server failure hell.

Hope this helps others.  Good Luck out there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines