• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Related Topics causes RH7 to Freeze

Explorer ,
May 27, 2008 May 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the following problem. After adding a button to a topic (such as a 'See Also' or 'Related Tools' button) and then saving it, when RH7 is closed and then reopened and if that particular topic is the first topic to be selected from the TOC to open then RoboHelp will freeze (hour glass appears and then 'Not Responding' in the titlebar). However, if you open Robohelp and select a different topic that does not have a button included then it is possible to open the suspect topic that includes the button without any problem.

I have tested this on multiple projects including one of the sample projects that was included with RH7, all with the same result.

The compiled chm file works perfectly, it is just an issue in reopening the topic in the RoboHelp HTML editor.

Has anyone else come across this or does anyone know if this is a bug?

Thanks

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2008 May 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris.

I've not seen this sort of behaviour. Can you tell us exactly what options you are using when you add your control (e.g. hidden for scripts, custom image, etc.)? This may help us see what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2008 May 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Thanks for your response. It doesn't seem to matter what options are chosen, the same same effect occurs as soon as a control is added.

I have been using basic settings, i.e Button-Label, Pop-up Menu, in Same Frame. It seems to happen with any type of Control, I just tried adding the HTML Help Control 'Close Window' with the same result.

However, as mentioned before, as long as you open another topic first that does not have a control then you can navigate to any page with a control normally.

Regards,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2008 May 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your projects located on a network drive? Also what output type are you producing? If webhelp, have you tried it on another PC with maybe a different browser? I appreciate this may not be a solution but will help narrow down the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2008 May 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem. My projects are located on a local drive. I am producing chm as an output type. I add a 'See Also' button and then save the project. I then close and reopen RH7. If that particular topic is the selected from the TOC to open then RoboHelp will freeze and I have to reboot.

I also have tested this on multiple projects including one of the sample projects that was included with RH7, all with the same result. The compiled chm file works perfectly, even the button works, it is just an issue in reopening the topic in the RoboHelp HTML editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2008 Jun 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The projects are on a local machine and the output is HTMLHelp. It is not the output that is the problem, it is in the actual RoboHelp HTML editor.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you ensure you have the 7.0.1 patch installed and try again. If that doesn't work, please paste the truecode of the related topic link into a response so we can take a look at what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And 7.0.2

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep indeed. Thanks for the reminder Peter 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum & Peter,
I was already at version 7.01.001 and have now added the 7.02 update but unfortunately no change to the problem. The following is the code for a 'Related Topics' button added to the 'Clownfish' sample project.

<p>
<!--Metadata type="DesignerControl" startspan
<object CLASSID="clsid:FF80F713-5DC6-11d0-A7B4-00AADC53E937" ID=RelatedTopics
BORDER=0 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px;
vertical-align: baseline;" align=bottom>
<param name="_Version" value="65536" >
<param name="_ExtentX" value="2408" >
<param name="_ExtentY" value="609" >
<param name="_StockProps" value="13" >
<param name="ForeColor" value="0" >
<param name="BackColor" value="14215660" >
<param name="UseButton" value="-1" >
<param name="UseText" value="0" >
<param name="ControlLabel" value="Related Topics" >
<param name="UseIcon" value="0" >
<param name="Items" value="About the Adobe RoboHelp Sample Project;..\About\About_the_Adobe_RoboHelp_Sample_Project.htm$$**$$Anemones - Plants or Animals;..\Lesson_2\Anemones_-_Plants_or_Animals.htm$$**$$" >
<param name="Image" value="" >
<param name="FontInfo" value="Arial,8,0,," >
<param name="_CURRENTFILEPATH" value="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\Samples\RoboHTML\Samples\Clownfish_School\Clownfish_School\Welcome_to_Clownfish_School.htm" >
<param name="_ID" value="RelatedTopics" >
<param name="UseMenu" value="0" >
<param name="Frame" value="" >
<param name="Window" value="" >
</object>-->
<OBJECT
CLASSID="clsid:ADB880A6-D8FF-11CF-9377-00AA003B7A11"
ID="RelatedTopics" TYPE="application/x-oleobject" >
<PARAM NAME="Command" VALUE="Related Topics">
<PARAM NAME="Button" VALUE="Text:Related Topics">
<PARAM NAME="Font" VALUE="Arial,8,0,,">
<PARAM NAME="Item1" VALUE="About the Adobe RoboHelp Sample Project;..\About\About_the_Adobe_RoboHelp_Sample_Project.htm">
<PARAM NAME="Item2" VALUE="Anemones - Plants or Animals;..\Lesson_2\Anemones_-_Plants_or_Animals.htm">
</OBJECT>

<!--Metadata type="DesignerControl" endspan-->
</p>

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested Related Topics and it's fine. As you are getting this with all projects I am wondering if it is time to uninstall and reinstall.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I'll give the re-install a go as soon as I get a chance and let you know the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Did your uninstall and reinstall work? I had RoboHelp 7 installed a few weeks ago and am having the same problem. If I try to open a topic with a Related Topics button, RH freezes. It works fine if I open a topic with no button. Did you find the problem?

Lacona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2008 Dec 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. As others seem to be having the same problem I eventually got around to doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of RoboHelp 7. Unfortunately it made no difference. If any type of tool, i.e button, help control etc is added to a page, then that page can no longer be immediately opened when the project is opended. Another page that does not have a tool included needs to be opened first otherwise the program freezes.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It looks like I have the same issue, although it took me a while to find the pattern. I installed 7 a couple of weeks ago and soon found that it (seemingly) randomly froze when I tried to open a topic to edit. After much searching and finding this thread, I realized that it always freezes on topics that contain a "related topics" button. If I open a topic that doesn't have such a button, it opens fine, then I can open a topic that has a button, and it opens OK. Very odd. At least you found the pattern, Chris, it might have taken me a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp