• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open AdobeFlashPlayer installer

New Here ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was prompted to install the newest version of Adobe Flash Player on my MacBook Pro (OS 10.11.5).  I am using the Safari browser (version 9.1.1 /11601.6.17).  After downloading the installer, I double-clicked on the .dmg file but then got an error message indicating that the disk image could not be opened with the given reason "Protocol wrong type for socket".  Here's a screen shot of the warning:

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 9.46.49 AM.png

I tried downloading the installer directly from the Adobe website and got the same error message.  Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

The version of the Flash Player currently installed on my computer is 21.0.0.226.

Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

when you downloaded the file directly from the Adobe website, what link did you use to download the installer?

have you tried rebooting your system and running the installer again?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you downloaded the file directly from the Adobe website, what link did you use to download the installer?

have you tried rebooting your system and running the installer again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why this worked, but rebooting my computer did the trick - the .dmg file opened up without error and I was able to install the Flash Player.  Should have just tried this first, I guess.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that worked.  I've not seen the error before and am not familiar with it.  Many times a system reboot will fix issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2016 May 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Same problem here, on my Safari Version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17). OS 10.11.5

I did reboot the system, but the problem remains the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tribunusplebis

Please do the following:

• Open Terminal.app (in /Applications/Utilities)
  • At the prompt type: md5 then drag and drop the Flash Player installer app onto Terminal and hit ENTER
    • The command should be similar to: md5 /Users/UserID/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_21_a_install.dmg
  • Copy and paste the result in your reply.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/Users/albertliovic/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_21_a_install.dmg Last login: Thu May 26 16:12:17 on console

imac:~ albertliovic$ /Users/albertliovic/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_21_a_install.dmg

-bash: /Users/albertliovic/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_21_a_install.dmg: Permission denied

imac:~ albertliovic$

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to type md5 first.

At the prompt type: md5 /Users/albertliovic/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_21_a_install.dmg

there is a space between md5 and /Users

The result should be (replace YourUserID with your actual UserID):

MD5 (/Users/YourUserID/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_21_a_install.dmg) = 722e62637ed890beec1c0c873b2ebd05

If the hash value is 722e62637ed890beec1c0c873b2ebd05, then the installer file is fine.  If the hash value is something else, the installer there is a problem with the installer.  Download the file again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last login: Thu May 26 17:26:39 on ttys000

192:~ albertliovic$ md5 /Users/albertliovic/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_21_a_install.dmg

MD5 (/Users/albertliovic/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_21_a_install.dmg) = 722e62637ed890beec1c0c873b2ebd05

192:~ albertliovic$

So, installer seems to be ok, what now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's possible the error mounting the DMG is related to the 10.11.5 update.  Please see Cannot load DMG files after installing 10.11.5 | Apple Support Communities​.  A number of people are getting the same error, with various software, when mounting the DMG  If none of the suggestions in that forum work for you, contact Apple Support for assistance. Based on the md5 hash value the installer you have is fine and not corrupt.

You can also try using the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac  page, in the 'Still having problems' section, but I suspect it'll exhibit the same behaviour.

<edited>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines