Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when trying to open from Sharepoint

Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have moved our project to SharePoint. From Windows, I navigated to the folder and mapped that drive which is drive X: I tried to open a RoboHelp project from the X: drive and I got the following error:

"The path X:.... is too long and will be deleted from the project." I select OK and then RoboHelp crashes. Anyone know what the problem might be.

Thanks.

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH will only work from a local drive.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Could you please elaborate on this because I'm sure my superiors will be asking my why it only works from a local drive and what does that have to do with SharePoint.

Thanks.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is you have moved the project to a network drive as part of sharepoint, correct? Quite simply RH is not designed to work on projects across a network. It is underpinned by an Access database and they do not work well across networks.

I am not understanding why you want the project in Sharepoint anyway.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were trying to do version control of the online help since we can't seem to get RoboSource 3.1 working. Having all kinds of problems talking to the database. That was our reasoning.

Thanks for all your help.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With RoboSource, or any version control, RH checks the required files out and copies them locally while you work. That is OK.

If you can use Sharepoint in that way, OK, but I don't think anyone has reported using Sharepoint with RH, never mind successfully.

Has anyone done this? If so, please speak up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2008 Jun 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my colleagues has posted WebHelp output files to a SharePoint site in the past, and that shouldn't be any different than moving them to any other server. But it sounds like Bill is talking about placing all the source files in SharePoint, which would then place them on a network server. All the usual caveats about working on source files stored on a network probably apply.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2008 Jun 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We did try hosting our output build onto Sharepoint, and found some problems with the URLs from RH being too long for Sharepoint to handle... We stuck to our trusty Unix server in the end!

As for using SP to store the project, we've not tried that, but as the others have said, the Source Control needs to store files locally to work effectively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp