Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footer shows up as **$$Placeholder$$**

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RH fans
I have created a new footer template for all of my topics. When I preview a topic in the mdi, the footer shows up correctly. When I simply look at it in the topic pod I see it correctly. The Topic Properties dialog tells me I have applied the footer template. When I generate the output, I see **$$Placeholder$$** .
What am I missing? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008
The variables in my footer are static. They would only change if I used a different SSL. In any event, I applied the footer to all topics and that seems to have worked; the output appears to all display correctly. I will keep my eye open and try to take notice should RH prompt me to "apply modification to all files", etc. I am not changing the footer or header; I should not see this dialog.

Thanks, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the footer contain a Snippet?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the footer does not contain a snippet however it does display varibles. In many places in the project output the (same) footer shows up correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=449&threadid=1353316

See if the above and see if turning off auto update helps.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The variables in my footer are static. They would only change if I used a different SSL. In any event, I applied the footer to all topics and that seems to have worked; the output appears to all display correctly. I will keep my eye open and try to take notice should RH prompt me to "apply modification to all files", etc. I am not changing the footer or header; I should not see this dialog.

Thanks, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have checked that Auto Update is not ticked. I know you are not changing the variable but if they were inserted with Auto Update ticked, that could be the cause.

Wanted to be certain the point was clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where does one set the Auto Update option? I see Auto-compile outdated fields in Options dialog; it is unchecked. The variable dialog does not seem to have any options....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click Insert | Fields and Variables. That's the field I am talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, OK. My footer is using user-defined variables, which does not employ the auto-update option.

On that tack, however, I noticed that when I upgraded to RH7, RH seemed to create variables in some of my headings in a field called Title. Is that because I had hyperlinks to those topics? I never really looked at the HTML in RH5, but now I need to see a lot more about what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure re the upgrade changes.

This will need some testing and I am not able to do that right now. Post back if I don't respond in the next 48 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created a template, added a user defined variable, linked the template to two existing topics and created a new topic.

Works fine everywhere including a webhelp output.

I suggest your next step is to test in a new project and see how you get on there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Having applied the template to all topics using the Topic list pod, I no longer see the **$$Placeholder$$** . Thanks for looking into this, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp