• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import illustrator svg file to InDesign

Enthusiast ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having this problem. I have created an image in Illustrator CC and saved it as a .svg file but when I place it in the InDesign artwork it is pixeled like a jpeg.

I have tried to add the actual Illustrator image but it's forbidden because it's too large.  I have tried many different ways but I have not discovered the secret yet

However, I add two screen shots for info.

Kind regards Bill Watters

Screenshot (211).png

Screenshot (212).png

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Something is wrong in your workflow. Placing (File > Place....) does not have limits on file size. so perhaps you've tried to paste?

Is View > Display Performance set to High Quality Display?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

InDesign doesn't support SVG graphics as a vector format. Instead of saving as SVG, to use the graphics as a vector object, just save as an Adobe Illustrator (AI) file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is wrong in your workflow. Placing (File > Place....) does not have limits on file size. so perhaps you've tried to paste?

Is View > Display Performance set to High Quality Display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't support SVG graphics as a vector format. Instead of saving as SVG, to use the graphics as a vector object, just save as an Adobe Illustrator (AI) file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve - That worked OK and I've learned something new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you can use a EPS file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID may yet [re-]gain SVG support: over at InDesign Sectrets David Blatner says he has been pushing Adobe to add SVG support (in connection with epubs—SVG being built into HTML5 and ePub3).

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is a high likelihood that this will happen. Because SVG is being used more and more, all of Adobe's programs are enhancing their SVG capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this happened yet? I can't place an SVG in my InDesign DPS file. Tried InDesign 2014 and 2015. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not talking about the current versions of InDesign. I'm talking about the likelihood that future updates will support SVG import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve -- I was hoping things had progressed since your message. Thanks anyway.

To: beth renneisen <gnusart@sbcglobal.net>

Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:07 PM

Subject: How to import illustrator svg file to InDesign

How to import illustrator svg file to InDesign

created by Steve Werner in InDesign - View the full discussionI'm not talking about the current versions of InDesign. I'm talking about the likelihood that future updates will support SVG import. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8784273#8784273 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8784273#8784273 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, things may be progressing but that doesn't mean that there is a feature yet to be seen in a released product. Software development is usually measured in months and years, and features are developed alongside the development of other features. We shall see....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After another year (and several feature upgrades), there's still no sign of SVG support in InDesign and Bridge. Which is strange, since SVG is becoming more and more common for all kinds of designs. Logos, icons, symbols, anything vector based is pretty well-served by SVG and can cater for print and digital at the same time ! Maybe it's not the best format for sophisticated print purposes use, but hey, we can also slap a simple JPEG in RGB on a page, so why not use this SVG and make something of it ?

Do I really need to open the file in Illustrator, Save as a native Illustrator file, and place that one instead ?
Illustrator even considers SVG files a native format. Saving it doesn't prompt you to Save as automatically.

Not too sound pushy, but... come one Adobe ! You even co-invented this format !!

Adobe Developer Connection – Interview with Jon Ferraiolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll help along the process of getting SVG included if you post a feature request. The product managers use this as a way to assess which features to add first. There is much competition: Everyone thinks the one they want is the essential one to have included:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I know... But one does expect some pro-active surprises !

Or that a Product Manager can draw some clues from the Forums.

Okay, I tossed in my to-the-point comments to the feature request.

Let's hope for the best...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I have heard from the product managers, here's where they primarily get information on what customers want and what features to include: (1) Feature requests at the link I provided; (2) discussions and surveys on InDesign Prerelease (they are looking for more active users in the Prerelease program, by the way); (3) focused group discussion at industry conferences, like Creative Pro Conference 2017; (4) One-on-one meetings with graphic designers in different market segments.

The Adobe forums are problematic because the great majority of posts are not about feature requests. They are composed of bug reports, questions about the way features work, etc., etc. Product managers are pretty busy so expecting them to pore through the volume of messages on this forum isn't very likely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right – the Forums could better be regarded as a signal what goes wrong in a current version, in terms of (technical) bugs and (interface) flaws. Then again, it's nice to reflect on topics involving new features here on the Forums before dropping a request or a vote on UserVoice, because of the peer-to-peer or user-to-user level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if Adobe decides to support SVG import in InDesign, I would not recommend to do that from Illustrator, as AI or PDF is the better choice as SVG does not support color management, all kind of transparencies nor CMYK.

Save as AI or PDF/X-4 and use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allowing SVG import would make the Adobe suite too open. It sucks for users, but not supporting SVG means that designers have to rely on other adobe products for assets and processes. Too bad because I would happily pay more to enable SVG import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although your statement sounds totally plausible, I hope it will prove wrong in the upcoming year. According to SVG import – Adobe InDesign Feedback this feature has been started. Long overdue, but still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is now a very old conversation and is OUT OF DATE. Just to update any who do not know: InDesign has had the ability to import SVG simce November 2019 in InDesign CC 2020 and later versions:

"You can now import and place the SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) format files in InDesign documents. SVG is an XML-based vector image format to provide support for interactivity. In the previous releases, SVGs from CC libraries were imported as PNG files in InDesign, but now they can be imported directly. "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines